D U N E (no, not Dunes) (1 Viewer)

The new trailer has me pretty hyped for this movie. Please don't suck! Please don't suck! Please don't suck!

7.6 / 10

thats-all-i-have-to-say-about-that.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldn't have minded a longer movie with more explanations built in. Good movie for the fan of the story who is already knowledgeable on the background, confusing for those who are new. I hope there's an extended director's cut :)

Hadn’t heard of it before. Gave it a go. Really low expectations and nearly switched it off when they started narrating a history lesson. Show, don’t tell, lazy film making. Got a lot better. Fantastic acting, direction, and SFX throughout. Ending slow.

7/10

I’ll watch round 2

8.5/10 for me I think, on the first watch.

Really a film to be enjoyed in the theatre IMO. The visuals and the sound design especially were very impressive and I couldn't imagine a home experience living up unless you have a very nice setup.

I've seen a bit of complaining about the amount of exposition in the first half, but really there is SO much lore and worldbuilding that just can't be done without a bit of exposition and explaining. There is loads left unexplained here, which I think is okay, but they certainly could have overdone it. Imagine if one of them just did "the voice" without some sort of explanation, for example, it wouldn't make any sense. I think the exposition they did do was pretty organic, and fit well within the narrative. The one case I thought was a bit too much was when Paul explained sand gliding to Jessica...felt unnecessary since they had already shown him watching the film.

The mentats and Dr. Yueh IMO did not get enough development or explanation. Especially Yueh who plays such a pivotal role in the story.

I'm a big fan of the books if it wasn't obvious. I hope they greenlight part 2. As a standalone film it feels really unfinished.

Last edited:
Does anybody (else) think that this "will part 2 be made" controversy is just bullshit? We know the screenplay has been completed. Would they not just shoot the entire thing after going to Norway and Jordan and anywhere else, because it will just cost all the producers double the money to wait? I think it's just a fake threat to get everybody out to the movie theaters again ASAP.

I know I'm bias, I would likely have given it a 10/10 even if most ppl thought it was a piece of shit.

If they don't make at least part II, I doubt I'll every pay (directly) to watch another movie again.

I was hopeful Patrick Stewart would at least have a role in the movie, over all gotta love the casting though.

I was surprised with approach on the 'inner monologue', it was interesting how they pivoted and I liked it, but also missed it at the same time

The mentats and Dr. Yueh IMO did not get enough development or explanation. Especially Yueh who plays such a pivotal role in the story.
I hope they highlight it in part II but I doubt they will, I agree with you but its still a lot of content, they had to cut something.

I saw it in IMAX format with my youngest son who had no Dune previous exposure. We both absolutely loved it and would be so disappointed if part 2 is not made. I wish they would have spent slightly more time on the concept of folding space but maybe part 2…..

Just got back from the theater. I loved it. I am not a reader of science fiction or epics but I love film and science fiction is definitely my favorite genre. I didn't read the book, and I know adaptations inevitably suffer from an array of criticisms of being to liberal with the material, to condensed, characters portrayed differently, etc. I generally love science fiction but dislike science fantasy. This film really fell on my favorite side of that dividing line for while still providing an epic story. I have seen some people criticize the exposition but I didn't find it too heavy handed like Christopher Nolan films. And I don't feel like it left anything critical unexplained. Great tension. I really liked most of the characters an didn't dislike any of them. The film was obviously stunningly beautiful. Not in a CGI-esque way but in a very real and gritty beauty that added to the texture and believability of the film. Also thought the film ended this part of the story very well while setting up the next film nicely.

I plan to watch it again shortly. I loved it and highly recommend it along with every other Denis Villeneuve film.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom