Custom Wooden Card Guard Attempt, Plaques Next (1 Viewer)

Hairy_Crocodile

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
Hey all!

I got a set of knife scales in the mail today and was hoping to make a prototype of a wooden plaque.

The set came thicker than expected, so I decided to make a card guard instead. I wanted to share my first attempt with you all, and maybe inspire those more talented than I with some project ideas.

I cut the scale to 2"×3" and sanded down the edges, polished to 12,000 grit using micro mesh. I will be doing more cleanup work on the cuts and edges before I start and go more slowly during the process next time. I was too excited and wanted to pump this out today to care for ultimate precision.

My next prototype is going to be some plaques, experimenting with wood burning the denominations in them. I may start to do designs as well on some scrap pieces (suit symbols, initials, etc.) On this card guard prototype, I think I'll try my hand at adding a spade or something on here tomorrow.

What do you all think? Any of you wanna do some cool stuff like this with me? I'd love to see this be a trend in custom plaques.
Snapchat-668806009.jpg
Snapchat-644371506.jpg
Snapchat-1245769290.jpg

The depth and the colors look AWESOME!!!!! I’m pretty sure with more experimenting, you’re going to crush it and eventually produce really cool stuff. I’ll be following to see how it goes. Nicely done.

This etched with custom designs for card cover! Where's that fine CNC router or laser?? I'm a sucker for card guards.

This etched with custom designs for card cover! Where's that fine CNC router or laser?? I'm a sucker for card guards.
I want one so badly, I actually was thinking about how practical getting something like that would be. I really would love to make things like this more often

For now, i just have my wood burning kit to play around with

I love when people think outside the box!!
Very unique!!

As others have said...if you can dial in etching you could have a really cool product on your hands!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom