Custom sets - GOAT - my pics (1 Viewer)

slisk250

Straight Flush
Reaction score
You can consider this thread my Custom Chip Hall of Fame. Sets that stand on top the mountain for one reason or another...no rules except they had to be commissioned and produced for the owner. I’ll unveil one set a week in no particular order.

First up
CU Next Tuesday
BCC - made by boondocker in 2007 - this set was designed by a team of guys that used to play on Tuesdays. Great colors, great spots, classic all star inlay. Wow, just wow. The set had some love in voting threads in the past but isn’t the shiniest new thing and had disappeared from the community. I’d love to own these. If any old timers here have more pics, let’s see em.
FF6C6823-7F9D-4B92-87E7-F2E12F9A39AD.jpeg

BE08006B-6DBB-46DE-AF82-B8881A04F14F.jpeg

It still pisses me how a set like this never made it into the HOF. Just comes to show that the system is sometimes a popularity contest. This set is not only beautiful but evolutionary when it first came out... A criteria that is under look.
I like it a lot, but the progression is a bit all over the place. That probably holds it back?

Unusual colours seem to be another barrier in many of the votes.

I like it a lot, but the progression is a bit all over the place. That probably holds it back?

Unusual colours seem to be another barrier in many of the votes.
I agree. I love the set honestly. But I guess I would have to say that theres a lot of black in the set. Black inlays with black in 3 of the 4 chips seems a little odd.

I think the use of simple colours, simple edgespot patterns, and repetitive colours ties this set together nicely as a whole. Individually these chips are beautiful. As a whole everything flows together as one classy looking set.

I like the simplicity and color choices, despite the seeming "overuse" of black throughout. It still looks like a set, and dirty stacks would never be an issue. The only element I'm not a fan of is the theme itself. "C.U. Next Tuesday" (which is a pun on the word "c*nt" for those who don't know) sorta ruins the set for me. They had to have been able to come up with something better than that for a set name. Almost any other theme name and I'd love this set too.

I like the simplicity and color choices, despite the seeming "overuse" of black throughout. It still looks like a set, and dirty stacks would never be an issue. The only element I'm not a fan of is the theme itself. "C.U. Next Tuesday" (which is a pun on the word "c*nt" for those who don't know) sorta ruins the set for me. They had to have been able to come up with something better than that for a set name. Almost any other theme name and I'd love this set too.

Dam. Never realized that til now. Do you know if that was by coincidence or by design?

Dam. Never realized that til now. Do you know if that was by coincidence or by design?
It's definitely by design. They even wrote the "See you" part as "C.U." so as to leave no doubt. Honestly, it's probably my least favorite theme of any custom set I've ever seen. It's just super tacky IMO. And even if it bore no relationship whatsoever to the 'c-word' (although it without question does), it'd still be pretty lame.

It's definitely by design. They even wrote the "See you" part as "C.U." so as to leave no doubt. Honestly, it's probably my least favorite theme of any custom set I've ever seen. It's just super tacky IMO. And even if it bore no relationship whatsoever to the 'c-word' (although it without question does), it'd still be pretty lame.

One of the features that I did like about the set was the name because it wasn’t your typical ‘Joe Blow Cardroom, etc’. But now that I know there was an intentional foul meaning behind it I must agree It’s kinda tacky and childish. Still a beautiful set. Thanks for pointing that out though. Never crossed my mind before.

One of the features that I did like about the set was the name because it wasn’t your typical ‘Joe Blow Cardroom, etc’. But now that I know there was an intentional foul meaning behind it I must agree It’s kinda tacky and childish. Still a beautiful set. Thanks for pointing that out though. Never crossed my mind before.
Well I got to 55 years old and never heard that phrase and has never been implied before when it was a hall candidate. The description says it was a Tuesday club. I’ll give the benefit of the doubt, they aren’t here to defend themselves. Still one of the greatest sets of all time.

I remember when this set came out on CT and could have sworn it was made after the persons divorce was finalized. Hence the name of C U Next Tuesday.

I could be wrong, but that really sticks in my mind.

nice looking set but the name always bothered me too

I remember when this set came out on CT and could have sworn it was made after the persons divorce was finalized. Hence the name of C U Next Tuesday.

I could be wrong, but that really sticks in my mind.

nice looking set but the name always bothered me too

Agree about name as well. First time I saw these posted at CT I couldn’t believe someone would put such a dumb (IMO) name on a custom inlay. Couldn’t take the set seriously after that.

With the benefit of time and hindsight I still feel the same about the name. I can appreciate the overall design and color choices now however. I think it’s a great looking set, nice and clean and the mold is so unobtrusive that they almost appear to be no mold chips at quick glance.

Well I got to 55 years old and never heard that phrase and has never been implied before when it was a hall candidate. The description says it was a Tuesday club. I’ll give the benefit of the doubt, they aren’t here to defend themselves. Still one of the greatest sets of all time.
We are all free to like and dislike as we please, and there is definitely much to like about this set design wise. But the theme is without question in reference to the C.U.N.T. acronym. It's been around for a while. I'm surprised you haven't heard it before. My high school basketball teammates (over 20 years ago) used to say it all the time as a joke. "See you next Tuesday, hahahaha" (they were calling you a c*nt). It was funny back then, in the locker room talk sort of joking way that high school kids do. But for grown men to put that as the theme for their Tuesday night poker club & chip set name? To each their own. It's just not for me.

The whole idea of see you next Tuesday is the ambiguity of it. You need the other person to be 1) a friend in case this goes sideways and 2) questioning whether you realize what you said. The art is identifying the spots where its going to be subtle.

Going C U was a mistake

Like the theme or not, it is definitely one of those times BCC got it right. The chips are very pretty and those BCC colors and spot options, Damn!

This was indeed the very first BCC set that came right during the days of CT. I truly believe it wasn’t inducted in the HOF for the following reasons

1. Boondocker left the game early and was no longer an active member. The HOF was established after he was gone.

2. Many of the board members on CT were CPC (pokerchip.com/asm at the time) diehard loyalists at the time. They really resented BCC for their poor quality control and lack of customer service. Though I agree with it I don’t think it should effect the votes. A good hand doesn’t wash out the bad, nor does the bad to good. This was a remarkable set.

It’s worth noting that all the great BCC chips came at the end prior to their closure. They were able to include a few extra nice molds and even added the entire TRK colour pallet to their selection.

Kinda tacky and narcissistic to start your personal greatest custom chips thread right the day the 2020 Hall class is announced, especially since you were on the committee lol

th.jpeg.jpg

To me, it is a joke and while juvenile is is still just a joke, nothing more.

Can't believe someone would think of using such a name for their cigar smoking, shit face drinking, ball busting poker game chips, for "gosh sakes" please think of the children.

Cause we all know that poker/card rooms are bastions of political correctness & proper language & etiquette.

:ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

One of the better BCC custom sets. The color matched inlays were one of the first I remember seeing and also one of the few that made it out without the often egg shaped inlays.

First, congrats becoming a 2020 HOF inductee
Stunning set

Kinda tacky and narcissistic to start your personal greatest custom chips thread right the day the 2020 Hall class is announced, especially since you were on the committee lol
Second
Sorry you see it that way....
I think it's a great idea to bring back some awsome sets that are/were forgoten over time.
Looking at current situation, I think at best 20% of active members were there in CT times.

HOF
Custom sets are eligible for nomination for a period of four years. The 2020 nominee class includes sets revealed from 01Jan2015 through 31Dec2018. Once a set has exceeded the eligibility period, it is no longer up for consideration. However, the HOF committee may nominate one “expired” set per year for consideration (i.e., to correct a previous oversight)

Based on the feedback of these 'forgoten' or 'expired' sets, assessments can made what sets can be taken in consideration...and why.

Can't believe someone would think of using such a name for their cigar smoking, shit face drinking, ball busting poker game chips, for "gosh sakes" please think of the children.

Cause we all know that poker/card rooms are bastions of political correctness & proper language & etiquette.

:ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

One of the better BCC custom sets. The color matched inlays were one of the first I remember seeing and also one of the few that made it out without the often egg shaped inlays.

It has nothing to do with wanting it to be proper, or PC, high etiquette or any other such nonsense. It has everything to do with it just being a fucking stupid ass name. "Hey guys, good game tonight. I'll see you next Tuesday!" "Oh man, that's it! That's my theme name! Fuck ya! Let's put that shit on my inlay! Cause we play on Tuesdays! And because, you know, that's funny too!" :rolleyes:

Sorry. It's just the worst fucking name/theme I've ever seen on a set of customs. And I can't imagine someone coming up with a worse one either.

Imagine how stupid you'd feel too after having to move the game to Wed nights because little Johnny has soccer practice on Tuesdays now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom