Custom Poker Table Top (1 Viewer)

fieldy84

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hello Fellow Poker Junkies,

I recently joined this site and am looking to add to my poker paraphernalia with a custom poker top to fit over my existing 39"x72" dining room table. My dining room table has 6 chairs and fits comfortably. I typically have 5-7 players for the home cash game. I've been doing my research on this forum as to where to purchase kits to build the table (YAT looks great) and I'm even thinking of going with custom felt since I only want to build it once and would love to chat with someone who could customize a beer a logo..

My main question's are:

1. What are your thoughts on a rectangular table? *Are corners really that bad to play with?
2. If I did make it oval, would that work from an esthetic standpoint? *Afraid the ends would look a bit stubby if I made overall length 96"

Any help or ideas are super appreciated.

6 players around a padded dining room table works fine, but #7 makes it pretty crappy for someone. You need to look not only at table space, but legroom. Table legs make all the difference between a fun night and just a workable night. I would recommend a dedicated table that can be stowed away. Something padded, and with a rail.

I would shy away from most tables that are sub $200, but if that is all you can afford, it's still better than the dining room table. Building one yourself is better, will be a higher quality (even if you are not good with your hands) if you just follow advice (here or anywhere online), and will cost only slightly more.

fit over my existing 39"x72" dining room table

Much depends on the existing table's leg arrangement. Does it happen to be pedestals? Or does it have big corner legs?

What are your thoughts on a rectangular table? *Are corners really that bad to play with?

When a player comes in, we often have "everybody move over a foot." Corners botch that. It's especially bad if the corner is also a leg. If you make a square top that is bigger than your table AND the table has corner legs, it's awful - you can't sit at the corner because of the top, and you can't sit just inside the corner, because of the leg.

If I did make it oval, would that work from an esthetic standpoint? *Afraid the ends would look a bit stubby if I made overall length 96"

It could look fine if your top includes a drop-edge that is as tall as the existing table's vertical profile. Bending some ply may be a new skill for you, but it looks good and will also make the ends sturdier. It will, however, make the top more fragile when stored vertically - tilting it onto the drop edge can crack it.

If you make a topper 44"x96" you can cover the entire table underneath exactly. You'll have some overhang which you may want to brace a bit if you feel it's necessary.

Screenshot 2016-06-15 11.01.51.png

Much depends on the existing table's leg arrangement. Does it happen to be pedestals? Or does it have big corner legs?

When a player comes in, we often have "everybody move over a foot." Corners botch that. It's especially bad if the corner is also a leg. If you make a square top that is bigger than your table AND the table has corner legs, it's awful - you can't sit at the corner because of the top, and you can't sit just inside the corner, because of the leg.

It could look fine if your top includes a drop-edge that is as tall as the existing table's vertical profile. Bending some ply may be a new skill for you, but it looks good and will also make the ends sturdier. It will, however, make the top more fragile when stored vertically - tilting it onto the drop edge can crack it.
Ya I definitely didn't think about some of those things. The table has 2 solid pedestals. Picture included.

I can also see the look everyone gets when someone shows up late and then everyone has to move. No thanks! I'm thinking about storing it under a spare bed to save on space in a closet.
IMG_8551.JPG
IMG_8552.JPG

No prob Bob. FYI a bed is shorter than 96" so if you do make the poker table that long, it will stick out of the end.

In my Manhattan apartment, I stored my table vertically behind a tall bookshelf. People never figured it out, unless they came early /stayed late and saw it come out or get put away.

So just a quick update. I decided to buy the kit from YAS and everything came delivered super fast and safe. I hope the color combination looks as good on the table when it's finished as it did online. Decided to go with Black vinyl for armrest and bronze speed cloth for the playing surface. Huge shout out to this forum for all the helpful tips on putting this together. Everything from the woodwork to the upholstery techniques (which i've never tried before). I just hope it fits! haha More pics to follow

IMG_8601.JPG
IMG_8603.JPG
IMG_8606.JPG

obv too late to make recommendations (since you've already made wood cuts), but if you are planning a table-top with rail, the dimensions can be a bit smaller (since the rail will cover the table corners) -- resulting in less overhang on the ends, and a smaller playing surface dimension across (easier for play).

My first table build (11 years ago) was a 40" x 80" hinged bi-folding table-topper with 4.5" rail that sat on a friend's 39" x 72" dining room table.

Well it's finally done!!! The size was perfect. The rail just sits directly over all 4 corners. It's a pretty big table but I couldn't be more happier with how it turned out. Upholstery is no joke... that was a ton of staples! hahaha Let me know what you guys think? Thank you to everyone here for the help to get this done. Next pics will be from the first game hosted!

IMG_8607.JPG
IMG_8608.JPG
IMG_8609.JPG
IMG_8610.JPG
IMG_8611.JPG

It looks like a very fine job. working with an existing table is always more difficult (you don't get to choose where the table legs stand). Hopefully, your table is wide enough so the players don't bang their knee while sitting down.

Are there any braces to keep it from sliding on the table? You wouldn't want to scratch up a nice dining table because someone pulled the table top sitting down (or pushed-away standing up). I use a "rug gripper", and that works extremely well (though my topper sits on a 1970s Formica table, so damage isn't a real concern).

It looks like a very fine job. working with an existing table is always more difficult (you don't get to choose where the table legs stand). Hopefully, your table is wide enough so the players don't bang their knee while sitting down.

Are there any braces to keep it from sliding on the table? You wouldn't want to scratch up a nice dining table because someone pulled the table top sitting down (or pushed-away standing up). I use a "rug gripper", and that works extremely well (though my topper sits on a 1970s Formica table, so damage isn't a real concern).
I like the idea of the rug gripper. I haven't officially built any braces yet. I'm still waiting to figure out storage for it. Not sure if braces will make that more difficult for storage options. The wife would be absolutely livid if I scratch her table. haha

As far as the legs, they aren't an issue with seating which I think I definitely got lucky with.

The table top is a bit high so short of buying taller chairs, I may have to make legs for the table which I was not intending on originally. I'll get the feel of what people like after our first game.

Wow fantastic job. What was the cost all in?

The table top is a bit high so short of buying taller chairs, I may have to make legs for the table which I was not intending on originally.

Yeah, height can be a problem using table toppers on existing tables. Consider using leg caps to raise the chairs for poker night. Pretty easy and cheap to make yourself.

Wow fantastic job. What was the cost all in?
$250 all in. That covers the plywood, screws and poker table kit from YAS. Spent an additional $50 for the stainless steel cup holders that slide under the handrail.

Also want to add that I couldn't be happier with the experience and quality of product from Your Auto Sales. Definitely would do business with them again!

Yeah, height can be a problem using table toppers on existing tables. Consider using leg caps to raise the chairs for poker night. Pretty easy and cheap to make yourself.
I heard about the same trick. I might take a look at doing that. I figure that would be some pretty tedious work...

I heard about the same trick. I might take a look at doing that. I figure that would be some pretty tedious work...

One (although more expensive) option would be to install casters on the chair legs. Lets 'em roll in addition to adding height. Pull 'em off when not playing poker.

One (although more expensive) option would be to install casters on the chair legs. Lets 'em roll in addition to adding height. Pull 'em off when not playing poker.
I'll see which option the wife would be game for. I'm anticipating that look when I tell her I want to drill into her nice dining room chair legs. but it must be done. Haha

That table is gorgeous. Do you have a link to where you purchased this? (Or other suggested links). I am wanting a poker table top to put on a dining room table (it will stay on table permanently). I am a bit clueless where to start and want to do it as a surprise for my husband :)

That table is gorgeous. Do you have a link to where you purchased this? (Or other suggested links). I am wanting a poker table top to put on a dining room table (it will stay on table permanently). I am a bit clueless where to start and want to do it as a surprise for my husband :)

Though he referenced "YAS", that isn't quite right. He means YAT, which refers to an online store called Your Auto Trim. They sell kits that contain the materials needed for a build. (Except plywood and things like nails/ staples.)

Coincidentally, I just got an email from them. They're running an 18% off sale. Use the promo code SK17.

Good luck to you.

Thank you SO much...that is very helpful! Any chance you know of a reputable company where I could give them dimensions and have them make the poker table top (so it comes all ready to go)? Thanks again!

Thank you SO much...that is very helpful! Any chance you know of a reputable company where I could give them dimensions and have them make the poker table top (so it comes all ready to go)? Thanks again!
If you know any one that is a decent carpenter they could build one pretty easy. I know over on pokertableforum.com there is a gent that goes by Rebelwork, I think he is just east of KC. I know he builds, and I know it's 3 hrs away, but it's the closest I could think of

Also, scour Craigslist for "Poker Table" or "Custom Poker". I found a local guy who did a great job. I also found an oak kitchen table on CL, sold the ceramic table top, and made a table using the base and legs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom