Custom Poker table build evaluation and questions (1 Viewer)

TheHun

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
I am finally completely finished with my table.
Being relatively new to the poker table world, I'm starting a new thread because I would like to get people's feedback.
I built this table as an 8-player table based on the fact that most home octagonal tables accommodate 8 players. But... is a 10-player table better? Dealer spot and chip tray? Racetrack?
What are the most important features to you?
I am starting another table with less expensive materials (woodgrain plastic laminate and pleather armrest). I hope it will still be appealing.
I would sincerely appreciate any feedback or opinions on what makes a great table.
Perhaps, later I will take a poll and build it based on the poll results.

012.jpg

I thank all who opine in advance.

Gabor.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 160
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 170
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 164
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 146
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 153
First of all, beautiful build. The quality looks top notch.

My opinions in general about home games and tables, not anything towards your build...

-round tables are awesome for self dealt home games. Octagonal are pretty good too. The advantage to these is you can see and chat with the whole table. If you are on the end of an oval, you are on a bit of an island.

-8 handed is the max I want to play. 9 hand is meh. 10 handed, is rather not play. 6 handed is perfect for me personally.

-i am not comfortable with drinks on the table. I know people have really nice tables, and I'm always afraid I'm going to knock one over. Having to deal around chips is hard enough.

-dealer trays are necessary for a game with rake and tipping. They are in the way of a standard home game.

My two cents……

First, this table is beautiful. I have much respect and admiration for anyone who is handy enough to build a table. I am not one of those guys. Truly a work of art. Well done.

Second, the storage tray under the dealer station is very nice in theory and looks great especially if you have a skirt around the entire table. However, and this is only from my experience - the storage tray will interfere with the dealers ability to reach every part of the table. Dealers like to sit as high as possible, the dealer tray gets in the way of that. My friend has a storage tray but the dealer takes it out every time he dealers so he can sit higher. Also, the dealer does not handle the bank so the extra chips are not stored in the tray anyway. For my table I opted for no skirt or storage tray for those reasons (but I admit that the table looks more substantial and pretty with the skirt/dealer tray).

Third, the racetrack. I actually like the look of a racetrack and they serve certain functions like making chip stacking is easier (and thought seriously about doing a carbon fiber racetrack on my table). But, 1) hard surfaces are the enemy of clay chips. The players will bang the chips on the track all night long which will result in chip damage (I have seen this first hand), 2) generally speaking dealers don’t like racetracks cause the cards can hit the edge of the track and flip up, especially when the felt sits lower than the track (does not seem to be a problem in ur case) plus the cards are harder to pick up from the track; and 3) the track encourages players to rest drinks on the track which could spill easier.

Fourth, the last thing I will suggest is that you make everyone take their shoes off at the door. Shoes wreak havoc on the legs of the table. Over time the bottom of the legs will get beat up. I make everyone take their shoes off mainly for that reason. Your legs are substantial so the players on the end are definitely going to be banging/kicking those legs all night. No shoes is a must for you. Just a thought.

For function and protection of the chips, I would have opted for no racetrack and no storage tray (even though I like the way they look), but I am sure there are plenty of people that would disagree with me. Regardless of my thoughts, the table is beautiful and looks really well made.

My two cents……

First, this table is beautiful. I have much respect and admiration for anyone who is handy enough to build a table. I am not one of those guys. Truly a work of art. Well done.

Second, the storage tray under the dealer station is very nice in theory and looks great especially if you have a skirt around the entire table. However, and this is only from my experience - the storage tray will interfere with the dealers ability to reach every part of the table. Dealers like to sit as high as possible, the dealer tray gets in the way of that. My friend has a storage tray but the dealer takes it out every time he dealers so he can sit higher. Also, the dealer does not handle the bank so the extra chips are not stored in the tray anyway. For my table I opted for no skirt or storage tray for those reasons (but I admit that the table looks more substantial and pretty with the skirt/dealer tray).

Third, the racetrack. I actually like the look of a racetrack and they serve certain functions like making chip stacking is easier (and thought seriously about doing a carbon fiber racetrack on my table). But, 1) hard surfaces are the enemy of clay chips. The players will bang the chips on the track all night long which will result in chip damage (I have seen this first hand), 2) generally speaking dealers don’t like racetracks cause the cards can hit the edge of the track and flip up, especially when the felt sits lower than the track (does not seem to be a problem in ur case) plus the cards are harder to pick up from the track; and 3) the track encourages players to rest drinks on the track which could spill easier.

Fourth, the last thing I will suggest is that you make everyone take their shoes off at the door. Shoes wreak havoc on the legs of the table. Over time the bottom of the legs will get beat up. I make everyone take their shoes off mainly for that reason. Your legs are substantial so the players on the end are definitely going to be banging/kicking those legs all night. No shoes is a must for you. Just a thought.

For function and protection of the chips, I would have opted for no racetrack and no storage tray (even though I like the way they look), but I am sure there are plenty of people that would disagree with me. Regardless of my thoughts, the table is beautiful and looks really well made.
Agree with all of this 100%!

I’d add that IF someone wants cup holders, I believe they belong in the armrest and not in the “field of play”. Plus when a player has a mega-sized mug that doesn’t fit the cup holder, they feel obliged to place it next to it on the wood.

Beautiful work!

Beautiful table.

A couple things that I prefer.

I never liked racetracks. They felt awkward to me. Awkward with chips, cards, drinks, etc. I also don’t like that they can be scratched.

Cupholders in the rail. They seem to blend far better.

3/4” raised rail. Gives the table a really high quality look.

Never a fan of a dealer spot or tray. It seems to take away from the table. If someone has a dedicated dealer for a game, they don’t need a cutout in the rail for the spot.

Again, all just my opinions.

Your base is my favorite style. It is the style I have on mine.

I have both a round and oval and I find my regulars always playing at the oval, whether for a tournament, or cash game.

C07AB39E-BA68-492A-8BA8-7C4295670AEF.jpeg
0B3A3F86-CBED-44FC-A74A-F7DDB2192A3D.jpeg

The last three posts echo everything I would have written. I’ll just add the following:

I also built my first table with a race track because I like the look, but my next table will definitely be without one for all the reasons mentioned above. If you do opt for a racetrack then go for one that is flush with the playing surface.

You don’t need a full dealer tray for rake and tipping. That can easily be handled by a chip drop slot. Takes up much less room.

Have some coasters handy. Despite having cup holders I still find some players using the racetrack for their auxiliary drink. Or they might use the cup holder as a phone holder and the racetrack as a drink holder.

A lighted rail is a really nice upgrade. It of course looks nice but you’d be surprised how much it helps in seeing your cards. I had mine once go out in the middle of play and the difference was pretty drastic. It’s not just a cosmetic improvement as I first imagined.

Thank you all for the comments, keep 'em coming. I considered adding a lighted rail but then there's the power cord. unless you have an outlet in the floor, you need someplace to plug it in. this could be a trip hazard.
The additional height of the armrest makes higher above the surface which might make it uncomfortable. This is also why I opted for 1/2" foam at the armrest instead of the typical 1".

Last edited:
Thank you all for the comments, keep 'em coming. I considered adding a lighted rail but then there's the power cord. unless you have an outlet in the floor, you need someplace to plug it in. this could be a trip hazard.
LED can run on rechargeable.

One other thought: if I’m spending anything greater than $2k on a table, I want it to be semi-custom at minimum — stain color, felt, rails, cup holder placement, dealer cutout, racetrack options, etc.

At $5k+ I’d want say in every style decision to ensure it blends seamlessly with my environment.

LED can run on rechargeable.

One other thought: if I’m spending anything greater than $2k on a table, I want it to be semi-custom at minimum — stain color, felt, rails, cup holder placement, dealer cutout, racetrack options, etc.

At $5k+ I’d want say in every style decision to ensure it blends seamlessly with my environment.
I agree, when I build a custom piece for someone, I involve them in every decision down to the last detail. For a recent jewelry cabinet, I even purchased leg samples, and color and texture of the fabric that lined the drawers.
This, of course is a spec table. I only had myself to ask. and used materials I had on hand.

I would echo what others have said above. This is a very nice finished product.

My only criticism is the proposed $9,000 price of the table. I remember from your previous posts that you used more rare woods/materials for this particular table. Is there any way to potentially get this price tag down to appeal to a broader market? Maybe using more common/stock wood?

The additional height of the armrest makes higher above the surface which might make it uncomfortable. This is also why I opted for 1/2" foam at the armrest instead of the typical 1".
My table has a removal rechargeable battery Velcroed under the table. No power cord running along the floor. It’s awesome. I typically can get two games out of it before it needs recharging.

I would echo what others have said above. This is a very nice finished product.

My only criticism is the proposed $9,000 price of the table. I remember from your previous posts that you used more rare woods/materials for this particular table. Is there any way to potentially get this price tag down to appeal to a broader market? Maybe using more common/stock wood?
Yeah, I know. That's why I'm considering using laminate and vinyl. I have some Italian made woodgrain laminate. and If I make the base a little simpler the cost should go way down. The base actually took more time to build than the top. If I keep it simpler and perhaps add an applique on it should look pretty good and be easier to build.

20221219_090205.jpg

Great looking table. I have a racetrack on mine, not as nice as yours, but I like the racetrack as it separates the betting felt from the chip space.
I also have the cup holders in the racetrack, but wish that I would have placed them in the raised rail. I may do that in my next redo of the table.
I'm not a fan of the chip tray, or big slide out drawer, but it works for you, so that is that is all that is important.
The one thing I did on my Covid work on the table, was to add sliding roller drawers for each of the 8 players with cutout to hold a regular sized bowl (paper or plastic) to keep the sbacks off the table surface. The bowls sit in the cutout, and the sliders can be opened or closed with the bowl in it. The guys love having these available.

Attachments

• table snack.jpg
    table snack.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 75
Great looking table. I have a racetrack on mine, not as nice as yours, but I like the racetrack as it separates the betting felt from the chip space.
I also have the cup holders in the racetrack, but wish that I would have placed them in the raised rail. I may do that in my next redo of the table.
I'm not a fan of the chip tray, or big slide out drawer, but it works for you, so that is that is all that is important.
The one thing I did on my Covid work on the table, was to add sliding roller drawers for each of the 8 players with cutout to hold a regular sized bowl (paper or plastic) to keep the sbacks off the table surface. The bowls sit in the cutout, and the sliders can be opened or closed with the bowl in it. The guys love having these available.
That's cool. You could even make room for a drink holder.

Yeah, I know. That's why I'm considering using laminate and vinyl. I have some Italian made woodgrain laminate. and If I make the base a little simpler the cost should go way down. The base actually took more time to build than the top. If I keep it simpler and perhaps add an applique on it should look pretty good and be easier to build.

View attachment 1043589

I know wood prices are sky high right now, but can you just use a more common type of wood like Oak or Maple? To be honest, most people don't know one wood from another.

I know wood prices are sky high right now, but can you just use a more common type of wood like Oak or Maple? To be honest, most people don't know one wood from another.
Yeah, Probably could. flat cut maple is kinda nice. stains up nice too. Oak too. Oak looks nice with an English oak finish. Like a medium brown with a very slight reddish tinge. the dark heavy grain is a nice contrast to the brown. I think it's mostly simplifying the design a bit. The more complex, the more labor.

Beautiful table.

I never liked racetracks. They felt awkward to me. Awkward with chips, cards, drinks, etc. I also don’t like that they can be scratched.

Never a fan of a dealer spot or tray. It seems to take away from the table. If someone has a dedicated dealer for a game, they don’t need a cutout in the rail for the spot.

I have both a round and oval and I find my regulars always playing at the oval, whether for a tournament, or cash game.

View attachment 1043238View attachment 1043239

Wow is that a nice table! I'm also looking into a custom table at some point soon and your recommendations are very helpful.

I hate race tracks, they just encourage collecting non game related stuff and food/drinks that get all over.
Raised rails are actually more comfortable in my opinion. If you're really concerned about it, lower the playing surface slightly to compensate.
I have a dealer cutout and I don't mind it. I have the smaller poker tray rather than the longer table game tray which makes it easier to deal and play from that position. Most people don't want a dealer position for home games though. The drawer definitely gets in the way. I use the tray for bank chips, or just keep a side table next to me. I also bang my knees on the toke boxes on my table all the time. Anything hanging down is a no go.
As far as length, that will vary widely. A full sheet of plywood makes a 10 player oval (I can actually fit 11 comfortably). I think a shorter 8 person table is probably better for home games.
Portability is usually an important feature as well. Being able to take down the table and store it when it's not in use. You made a beautiful base/legs, but I would never be able to use that table because I don't have a space dedicated for poker I can leave it up all the time.

I love your work, you did an excellent job on your table!

Personal opinions - I hate racetracks and cupholders in the table. I'm divided on cupholders in the rail too. I really prefer drinks off the table. I also don't like the dealer station unless you are going to have someone be a dedicated, non-playing dealer. I'd rather have a plain oval and dealer can rotate, or change sides, or the dealer can be a player.

Beautiful table.

View attachment 1043238View attachment 1043239
The round table is for when the guys flake....
Nice tables and nice chairs!

Love the table! Especially the wood and relatively low rail.

Agree with others on the racetracks, much rather put chips on felt.

Would personally go without cup holders and just have side tables in the room.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom