Custom poker chips (1 Viewer)

Junior24xx

Straight
Reaction score
Hi folks,
i was wondering if anyone has any experience with straight poker supplies custom poker chips. I was considering having a tournament set made up with a logo that a friend has drawn but was hoping for some info on them before.
Thanks

Hi welcome to PCF. At first glance their custom chip range are labeled china clays and seem overpriced. I would check out PalmGaming

Thanks stocky, I'm already checking out their site

- - - - - - - - - Updated - - - - - - - - -

I should add a link to the chips I was looking at
http://www.straightpokersupplies.com/full-colour-vinyl-decals-tri-stripe-14g-chips-1000-chips.html
i know these aren't paulson but I already have a cash set that are pretty much the same as this set and he regulars at our home game all really like them.
thanks again

That price is unbelievable. These chips usually go for around $150 USD with stock labels. My advice, if you want to stick with these chips, is to buy the stock versions and custom labels and relabel them yourself. My better advice would be to get better chips with custom labels from Palm Imports for what would still be cheaper than the chips you listed.

The chips shown are injection-molded and are pretty lousy. I owned a set a few years back and sold them within a month. PGI's China clays are great and will last much longer.

Thanks again,
just ordered sample sets from Palm gaming.
Please indulge the dumb question, by China clays did you mean the compression edgspot clays? Or are all of their clays considered China clays?

That price is unbelievable. These chips usually go for around $150 USD with stock labels.

It's what the market will bear, based on the lack of competition and the costs of buying in the US.

Let's do some quick numbers for 1000 chips.

SPS price: $690 CDN + 13% harmonized sales tax (assuming Ontario) = $779.70 CDN. Shipping is free on that order within Canada.

PGI Price: For a PGI compression clay (aka "China Clay"), the price is $0.59 USD / blank chip @ palmgaming.us

For 1000 blank chips from PGI based on their website....

Chips: $590 USD
Shipping : $84.50 USD (2 x Priority Intl MFRB, as 1000 chips exceeds the 20lb limit). USPS /Canada Post is the cheapest option.
Duty : 0.

Sub-total : $674.50 USD
Conversion to CDN: $ 739.66

Cost + HST (13% on value of goods + shipping) : $835.82
Brokerage fee (Canada Post): $10 (for comparison, UPS's fee is $69.10, and they charge an additional 2.7% bond fee)

Total cost: $845.82 CDN. And the chips aren't labeled yet.

I would be cautious about telling people that it is cheaper to buy the china clays. While I agree that the china clays are a superior chip, and I wouldn't order those particular chips myself, I don't believe that it is possible to get the same number of china clay chips for less $$$.

Thanks for that CdnBeerLover,
thats more food for thought. I'm still interested in getting samples and I'm also interested in getting the best chips I can afford.
I haven't looked to deeply into the PGI site but you mention that at $845 the chips aren't labelled yet?
Life I was going to label them myself would I not be better to look at the chiproom sale that is going on now? The paradice and aztar chips are less than the PGI clays.

the real question is , are you a lover of canadian beer or a canadian lover of beer?

Thanks for that CdnBeerLover,
thats more food for thought. I'm still interested in getting samples and I'm also interested in getting the best chips I can afford.
I haven't looked to deeply into the PGI site but you mention that at $845 the chips aren't labelled yet?
Life I was going to label them myself would I not be better to look at the chiproom sale that is going on now?

A few things to think about...

1. How many chips do you need? If you don't need 1000 chips, then you can save $$$ by keeping the weight below 20lbs. You could fit 800 chips in a large flat rate box for around $55 USD (I think), for example. That plus the lower chip cost is significant.

2. That's the price to the general public. Some vendors may offer discounts to forum members. I don't know if PGI does or not.

3. I don't want to discourage you. I just wanted to highlight that the cost of the chips alone is not the only consideration if you are looking at buying from the US.

One last point...all shipping costs, even those from USPS, are estimates only. Even from reputable vendors, the price that you see on USPS's site may be well under the price charged to you. For example, I've been charged $29.95 USD for a Priority Mail International SFRB that the USPS site quoted at $20.55 USD. I have no idea why. But when the overall cost of the chips themselves was under $12 USD, it stung a bit. Still happy with the chips, but that's the last small order I'll make.

Last edited:
Junior, I think others have said it already -- look around for better deals. I just did some ceramics and was pleasantly surprised at the quality. I'm thinking for the price you quoted, you could get custom ceramics that would be much nicer than what you posted. PGI will also print labels and apply them if you get some type of China Clay chips. Here's what I posted about my new ceramics.

http://www.pokerchipforum.com/showthread.php/4297-New-Chips-Review-and-Pics

Was just in straight poker supplies yesterday.. Nice guys but limited chip selection. Unless you like stickered plastic chips.

I would go with china clays from palm gaming. They were great and at a good cost.

Is PGI the cheapest place to get blank china clays? The same chip as the Pharaoh Club chip?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom