Custom MSK PNY Plaques (1 Viewer)

Irish

Straight Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
As many PNY fans know, assembling a big stack (T10k+) tourney set of PNYs is virtually impossible and would cost a fortune with chip prices nowadays, given the price/availability of the 1k pumpkins. When I built my PNY tourney set, I originally built it for T5k starting stacks. It played pretty well, but when we tested out a T10k setup, everyone like it much better. My set consists of 400/400/145/25 - T25/T100/T500/T1k, so to run a 15 to 20 player tourney with T10k stacks, I'd need at least another rack of T1ks and then find a T5k alternative. I had a handful of the Matsui group buy 1k & 5k plaques to help (allowed me to support a single table tourney), but as awesome as Matsui plaques are, I felt they didn't really jive with the feel of the rest of the set. In addition, the T1k plaques were causing some confusion with my players (why do you have both 1k chips and plaques?), and the T1k denomination didn't allow me to take many 500s off the table for color ups (only a 2x jump). In addition, the T5k plaques were fairly similar in color and the same size as the 1ks, and a few commented that it was tough to distinguish them across the table.

I looked at several other options for higher denom chips/plaques; years ago I had Sal (RIP) at OWPS make me some ceramic plaques, and they were pretty cool but again a bit clunky for my tastes. Last year I picked up some of the Presidential MSK plaques and was fairly impressed, IMHO they seemed to provide a pretty nice plaque for a decent price, and they were a little smaller and more manageable in quantity. I was cruising around MSK's site and one of their example plaques totally jumped out at me, it was a photo of Paris skyline / Eiffel Tower with a pearlized photo and gold foil lettering. I thought the style would totally fit the PNY motif, and thus this project was born. In picking the denominations, while I typically don't care for a T2k chip, given that I already had some T1k pumpkins and a bunch of T500s, I felt going with a T2k plaque as the higher denomination "work horse" chip in the latter tourney stages would work well - I'd need less of the them overall and could take more 500s off the table vs using a T1k denom. For the T2ks, I went with a smaller 82mm x 57mm plaque to make having a stack of 10-15 manageable. Then I added some larger 94mmx66mm T10K status plaques :)

I've had these for a few months now, but wanted to showcase them to my group before posting any pictures. We got them into play last night, they seemed to go over pretty well. OK enough jibber jabber, onto some pics:

T2k plaques - NYC Downtown Skyline / Freedom Tower

2019_07_20_IMG_4716.JPG

2019_07_20_IMG_4721.JPG

T10k plaques - NYC Midtown Night Skyline / Empire State Building:

2019_07_20_IMG_4728.JPG

2019_07_20_IMG_4730.JPG

Group shots:
2019_07_20_IMG_4726.JPG

2019_07_20_IMG_4734.JPG

MSK was great to deal with, even with the dramatic time zone difference, we had the design for these nailed down and checked in a couple of weeks, and their production/shipping times were really reasonable.

Amazing! Love the day / night contrast on the two plaques. Great choice on the sizing. Just a well executed project!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom