Custom labels from ABC Gifts vs. CPC labels (1 Viewer)

red309

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm ordering custom chips from CPC and since you can't get a test print of the inlay design from them, I'm planning on ordering a test sheet from ABC instead.
How does the two companies' labels compare? Is there another place I can order a sheet from that's closer to what CPC uses?

Thanks.

You could order a sample set of labeled chips from CPC and see how you like them.

If you are getting CPC chips, then get inlays done by them at the same time. If you don't, the chips won't be made with a recess, and you will have to mill them in order to get an aftermarket label on them, unnecessarily increasing the costs, time, and inconvenience involved.

Hi,

I'm ordering custom chips from CPC and since you can't get a test print of the inlay design from them, I'm planning on ordering a test sheet from ABC instead.
How does the two companies' labels compare? Is there another place I can order a sheet from that's closer to what CPC uses?

Thanks.
I'm not quite sure what you're trying to accomplish. Anything you order from ABC (or anywhere else) won't be comparable to what CPC produces.

If you need to review your label artwork from CPC before the chips are made, just ask them for proofs.

If you are concerned about the legibility of your artwork, print them at 1:1 on photo paper. I went through probably 30 iterations of printouts before I finalized my set.
Response wise 4th times the charm I guess :tup:

I believe your concerned about legibility as well so exactly what @Shaggy said will be the easiest option. It’ll give you a general idea. If you can read it with your(likely lower quality printer) then you’ll be able to read it on the inlays you receive.

that's my same suggestion. work in CMYK & test your work w/ a CMYK printer. when you do mocks in the online chip design tool, print those. print the proofs CPC sends you. it may not be precise but it's going to be pretty close & glaring issues should stand out

If you are concerned about the legibility of your artwork, print them at 1:1 on photo paper. I went through probably 30 iterations of printouts before I finalized my set.

Yea, I was worried because I have an intricate pattern with small type and CPC doesn't do printed proofs. I've printed them on my inkjet printer but didn't want any surprises when ordering $2k worth of chips.

CPC doesn't do printed proofs.
Even so, they should be willing to send you a photograph of the inlay print-outs before they go to production. But printing them yourself in actual size before submission to CPC should allow you to make adjustments on element sizes and design clarity.

Are you doing the design yourself, or using a designer? Most have significant experience with the limits/capabilities of the CPC print medium, and will steer you in the right direction regarding design.

Even so, they should be willing to send you a photograph of the inlay print-outs before they go to production. But printing them yourself in actual size before submission to CPC should allow you to make adjustments on element sizes and design clarity.

Are you doing the design yourself, or using a designer? Most have significant experience with the limits/capabilities of the CPC print medium, and will steer you in the right direction regarding design.

I see. I'll definitely ask about sending some pics of the print-outs at least.
I'm a graphic designer so did everything myself.

do you typically design graphics for a 7/8" or 1" circle? i'm just wondering what you're expecting from this specific media ~not that i'm a graphic designer or anything

I'm pretty experienced but first time designing chip labels and have never printed on a chip label so I want to make sure it prints ok. My design have some intricate details that might not translate well. Here's a preview of my designs to give you an idea. I'm going for a currency theme and photoshopped my family's faces into historical figures (I'm Korean so I used people from Korean currency as well as "alternate" designs using other cultures) and added a faux intaglio effect. The name of the chip is little inside joke. I basically wanted something that looks great but also can get a laugh out of my friends (I almost want them to be annoyed to be looking at my face on the chip when raking in a pot, haha. The purple chip at the end is going to be my kids' faces.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 11.35.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 11.35.37 PM.png
    305.2 KB · Views: 202
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 11.35.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 11.35.43 PM.png
    304.1 KB · Views: 229
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 11.45.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 11.45.35 PM.png
    314.2 KB · Views: 191
Talk to @David Spragg at CPC about the level of detail he can provide, and about the amount of bleed area you will need to leave on your designs (printing all the way to the edge poses challenges, for example). He will be very helpful if you start a communication with him prior to submitting your artwork.

I’m sorry. Lmao. I’m assuming you think CPC uses stickers? I can understand how that would be. What I can’t understand is how you came to pony up the money for CPC without understanding “why” and “what” it is they produce. While labels are great for certain applications, assuming CPC uses stickers is a bit like expecting a Toyota engine in your new Mercedes.

I'm pretty experienced but first time designing chip labels and have never printed on a chip label so I want to make sure it prints ok. My design have some intricate details that might not translate well. Here's a preview of my designs to give you an idea. I'm going for a currency theme and photoshopped my family's faces into historical figures (I'm Korean so I used people from Korean currency as well as "alternate" designs using other cultures) and added a faux intaglio effect. The name of the chip is little inside joke. I basically wanted something that looks great but also can get a laugh out of my friends (I almost want them to be annoyed to be looking at my face on the chip when raking in a pot, haha. The purple chip at the end is going to be my kids' faces.
This looks really nice. Welcome.

I’m sorry. Lmao. I’m assuming you think CPC uses stickers? I can understand how that would be. What I can’t understand is how you came to pony up the money for CPC without understanding “why” and “what” it is they produce. While labels are great for certain applications, assuming CPC uses stickers is a bit like expecting a Toyota engine in your new Mercedes.
This seems a bit harsh and unwarranted. The only person that referenced 'stickers' in this thread is you. The OP's terminology has been dead-on.

well, the patterned back ground may present some conflict w/ the texture of the mold. i now see the need for print samples that represent an advanced stage of manufacture.

full bleed is addressed as there are templates for it on the CPC site

a mold like fleur de lys or large crown might be better suited. large crown is smooth & fleur de lys has a smooth center. circle square or small crown have a finer texture that may still be OK too

essentially, the intaglio effect will likely be compromised by the texture of the mold

Some great feedback here so I don't need to comment. Just wanted to say that's a dope idea, I may want to do something similar on a "Grand Opening" chip for my family centric relabel set. I might PM you later to ask a question.

Oh, and if you ever offer a sample set or two once you place your order, Dibs!

My guess is that you may run into some unpleasant moire issues that might not show up on a test print but would show up with a textured inlay.

More about moire...

It is a pattern appearance distortion issue with very fine tightly spaced lines that can be exacerbated by image overlays or processing.

moire-shirt2.jpg

C'mon man! Give me a little more credit than that. If you're saying Majestic's labels are "stickers" then yes, I want to test on "stickers" since it's closer to a CPC label than a sheet of printer paper.

This seems a bit harsh and unwarranted. The only person that referenced 'stickers' in this thread is you. The OP's terminology has been dead-on.
Thanks for coming to my defence :)

My guess is that you may run into some unpleasant moire issues that might not show up on a test print but would show up with a textured inlay.
That's a great point. I may need to adjust a bit.

There is a wealth of knowledge here, but I agree with @BGinGA that you should just ask David/CPC and I suspect he will give you good perspective.

My apologies. I misunderstood what you’re trying to do here. If your curious to see how your stuff will print I usually use a decent photo paper. Set your printer to photo or high. Any inkjet printer will do. I’ve done this many, many times and the results were always consistent. As for the crosshatching that will come from your mold choice, yes, that too will cause some parallel lines in the art to moire against the mold impression but can be minimized by using certain moulds.

mom a side note, CPC also has templates for various software on their website. Each will show textual limits, graphic limits and bleed.
http://www.classicpokerchips.com/pokerchips/realclay/pricelist.htm

Last edited:
To add to what @BGinGA recommended about discussing it with Spragg... I agree with the artwork going to the edge. The other comment is I'd be willing to bet that the font size of the Korean characters is too small. I'd also recommend increasing the font of the text on the other side... specifically the denomination.

Looks like a neat set. Good Luck.

Thanks all. Will definitely be talking to Spragg. Looking forward to sharing pics soon!

Oh, and I cannot afford to go above A-mold... already tripled my budget, lol.

Thanks all. Will definitely be talking to Spragg. Looking forward to sharing pics soon!

If the texture may impact your art I’d suggest using HHR. Same price and has a little less “nubbyness”. I have a few chips laying around. Shoot me your address and I’ll fire some over so you can get a feel.

Have you evaluated mold samples?

This is very important for CPC chips, to determine up-front if you actually like the looks and sound/feel characteristics of a specific mold with the chips in-hand (the molds vary significantly, even if using the same materials).

Just looking at pics is very deceiving, and the same goes for the importance of having a current color sample set as well.

Don't even consider spending thousands of dollars without getting and evaluating both beforehand -- it's cheap insurance, and you can always sell the sample sets later to recoup your costs.

Have you evaluated mold samples?

This is very important for CPC chips, to determine up-front if you actually like the looks and sound/feel characteristics of a specific mold with the chips in-hand (the molds vary significantly, even if using the same materials).

Just looking at pics is very deceiving, and the same goes for the importance of having a current color sample set as well.

Don't even consider spending thousands of dollars without getting and evaluating both beforehand -- it's cheap insurance, and you can always sell the sample sets later to recoup your costs.
Yes, I got the mold samples, color samples, and the 10chip variety sample. I was happy with it the A.
I am a little concerned about messy inlay edges I saw on some other posts here but I'm hoping it won't be as big of an issues on 1inch inlays.

If the texture may impact your art I’d suggest using HHR. Same price and has a little less “nubbyness”. I have a few chips laying around. Shoot me your address and I’ll fire some over so you can get a feel.
Thanks for the offer! Got the samples and I actually like the A mold design better.

Even so, they should be willing to send you a photograph of the inlay print-outs before they go to production.

they did exactly this for me, and it helped me to realize i needed to darken my grays by another 20% to get the look i was going for in reality.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom