Custom label with brother scan n cut (1 Viewer)

cyril

Pair
Reaction score
I will try to you to resume my attempt to make my own label.
Sorry for my poor english.

I have bought a brother scan n cut, a machine to cut what you want. It scan your page and with a software you can choose what you want to cut.
With brother scan n cut it s easy ot obtain perfect fit labels.

I wanted to make my own label cause i really want foil label and i can t found someone to make it. So i decide to make them by my own.

IMG_20210311_181333.jpg.ab646ca1927d921e1a01bc29e224926e.jpg

One of my first problem was to get labels at the exact size. With the scan n cut it s easy. Cut precision is above 0.2mm (0.007 inch). may be more.

After print the label, i needed to make some test to found the perfect cuting depth. No problem, with the scan n cut.

The process:
1 - print labels
2 - use a laminator to protect the label.
we obtain a 4 layer page.
  1. 1 under laminater layer
  2. 2 labels paper support
  3. 3 labels
  4. 4 over laminated layer
3 - scan the page
4 - add motif to cut where you want. Circle, square and paulson labels forms are included.
You can use autodetection if you want but with my first labels it was not possible without adding a black circle around my design.

The machine cut the layer 4 and 3, not the 1 and 2 so labels are rally easy to take off.

IMG_20210312_220752(1).jpg

The result is very good in my opinion, it need a lot of time to found the good setting, but when you found them, process is enough fast.

IMG_20210312_221057.jpg

IMG_20210312_212117.thumb.jpg.70802b053bf4f37d058879a19612b8eb.jpg

The goal was to print foil labels on those paper mostly for a BG custom chip set.

papier.thumb.jpg.61b978e996a39c42d4617fb1c2447eaf.jpg

Sadly my inkjet printer can t print on them, so i will buy quick a color laser jet printer to go on my test.

The scan n cut cut those paper too without any problem.

TEST4.thumb.jpg.96469576dc05caabf1936bd3754b89a1.jpg

test3.jpg.bb3dcf464adaf2d5143ad8c5083c9c8e.jpg

Next step will be to try laser color print on foil paper and see what will happen.

I m happy to share this crazy experience, hopping it can help ...

Conclusion, do his own label is possible, with a great result, but it need a lot of time and a lot of patience.

So if you are not as mad as me :), you should to ask to gear ;).

Last edited:
Great work so far.
However, the potential problem I see is getting colors to print correctly. In traditional printing, colors are determined by the amount of ink and the amount of underlying WHITE paper, vinyl, etc.
Once you change the color of the background, all colors printed on top change. I’m not sure how you would get the ink to show with a busy foil background.
The other issue is getting the ink to soak into the base foil.
Fingers crossed you can make this all work!
Edit: forgot to mention, also make sure that foil is laser compatible...many plastic-based foils will melt in the heat of a laser printer.

Last edited:
Can you print your text/art on a clear layer then put that on the foil paper layer?
You would still want a printer that can print white ink. That is the key to good prints on non-white substrate.

That artwork.... does it go with the plaques that I remember seeing a while ago? I like it

Great work so far.
However, the potential problem I see is getting colors to print correctly. In traditional printing, colors are determined by the amount of ink and the amount of underlying WHITE paper, vinyl, etc.
Once you change the color of the background, all colors printed on top change. I’m not sure how you would get the ink to show with a busy foil background.
The other issue is getting the ink to soak into the base foil.
Fingers crossed you can make this all work!
Edit: forgot to mention, also make sure that foil is laser compatible...many plastic-based foils will melt in the heat of a laser printer.
Thanks, with the foil, print possibilities will be limited. I will try to use 2 layers with with the over layer cut to see the under foil.

You would still want a printer that can print white ink. That is the key to good prints on non-white substrate.

That artwork.... does it go with the plaques that I remember seeing a while ago? I like it
Saddly no way to print in white, gold or silver without a very very expensive printer.

I will try to make label like those done by Hippiesartwork for me a long time ago.

img_4366-4b91b64.jpg

1-38b53a4.jpg

For the plaques, yes another set i make a long time ago.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom