Custom High Hand Plaque (1 Viewer)

Taghkanic

4 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
Continuing from a since-closed Classifieds thread... I did go ahead and prototype a High Hand “plaque” which can be written on with chalk and passed to any player who surpasss the existing high hand...

0EBAAC27-3EB7-4F95-B8E4-89BD41E14057.jpeg
A6265006-9417-4BF0-8CED-F8332858E88C.jpeg

I made this by buying three 99-cent chalk-ready tags at Joann Fabrics.

I spray painted the middle tag silver before sandwiching these together with wood glue, just for some contrast.

After letting it dry under some weight, I drilled through the tag holes through the top two layers with a larger bit to make a holder for a small piece of chalk.

The writing wipes off easily with your hand, pants leg, or a cloth for the finicky...

I actually feel no urgent need for this object in my two-table tourney, but it was a quick and fun project for a Sunday. Might try it out tomorrow night just for shits and giggles.

I made this by buying three 99-cent chalk-ready tags at Joann Fabrics.

I spray painted the middle tag silver before sandwiching these together with wood glue, just for some contrast.

After letting it dry under some weight, I drilled through the tag holes through the top two layers with a larger bit to make a holder for a small piece of chalk.

The writing wipes off easily with your hand, pants leg, or a cloth for the finicky...

I actually feel no urgent need for this object in my two-table tourney, but it was a quick and fun project for a Sunday. Might try it out tomorrow night just for shits and giggles.
Genius! I really like this idea. I recently got a high hand button from @Quicksilver-75 and while it is extremely nice, we had to get a piece of paper and a pen to keep track of the actual hand.

Yeah. I've heard this complaint more than once. I've even contemplated making a blank space for a dry erase marker to write the hand in. After about 5 seconds of thought I realized nobody wants ink on or around their felts.
To be honest, I understand the anxiety of not remembering what the high hand was, but it has never happened at my games. As we age, it might be a problem but by that time I'd imagine we'll be playing euchre or canasta. :LOL: :laugh:

how did it work?

It works well. I need to re-make the piece, because I did a sort of sloppy job of drilling and glueing it the first time.

I don’t know how much it will actually get used, because in a small tournament it is pretty easy to remember who had the high hand, and what it was. (I guarantee, the person with the current high hand ALWAYS remembers...)

Well, so we actually were using it as the best losing hand, so even though the basic three 9s, etc could be easily remembered, we were also wanting to keep track of what the full 5 card hand was, so 999AQ for example. Plus there was a little bit of drinking going on.... :rolleyes:

Edit: Maybe I just need a whiteboard.

Last edited:
Nice. I got one of these the other day at Hobby Lobby. Can’t beat the price, currently on sale for $1.19. I just need to rig up a “holster” on the back for the chalk—probably will use some adhesive velcro, doubled over. Only thing I don't like about this option is some of the edges on the metal are pretty sharp. Might take a wire brush/rotary drill attachment to it.

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-H...-Chalkboard-with-Stand---5-1-8-x-2-5-8/p/8468

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom