Custom Designed Ceramic set -- 28 new designs (1 Viewer)

And if anyone needs help designing them in AI... I can help! It was pretty fun and seeing the final product is always cool.

I taught myself Inkscape (see thread here) -- it was pretty addictive.

The cost/flexibility is great. I almost wish I had a family reunion poker tourney or a charity poker tourney or some other event just to have an excuse to build out more chips.

Got the cash set in the post today and my t100's.. absolutely love these chips

20191003_162937.jpg

20191003_163510.jpg

You first start with the design. You need to have illustrator to make a vector image of the 39mm tops and the edge marks. To make the edges align you use degree rotation in illustrator, then use math to make the distance between the marks for the edges so they align. It was tricky at first but then it got easier over time.

I would really enjoy reading a longer description of how you did the work in illustrator on the edge spots. (Even cooler would be edge spot templates in SVG to play around with--I am an Inkscape newbie.)

This thread really has captured my imagination. Outstanding work.

I would really enjoy reading a longer description of how you did the work in illustrator on the edge spots. (Even cooler would be edge spot templates in SVG to play around with--I am an Inkscape newbie.)

This thread really has captured my imagination. Outstanding work.

What file format do you need? I could post the .ai

For the edges I did it like this:
On the tops... I made a 39mm circle mask... then I made the edge spot I liked, put it at the top, then used the rotate and copy tool to set the rotation center point to the center of the 39mm chip. Then if I wanted 4 spots, I rotated it 90 degrees and copied each one. 6 spots, every 60 degrees, 2 spots every 180 degrees... this made sure they are aligned up perfectly. So take 360/number of edges.

Then for the sides:
  • I did the circumference of the 39mm chip (122.522 mm wide) as a layer mask, with 3.5mm height.
  • This next part is a bit tricky. Since the edge mark at the top is on the edge of a circle, the actual amount of edge marking on the side needs to be slightly larger than the edge mark itself, since it's along the circumference. So, I literally used the pen tool to go from the edge of the edge spot, to the other side, and then measured the curve. This is how wide I made the edge spot for the sides.
  • If there were 5 edge spots, I'd make 6 exact groups of the edge design in the layer mask
  • Place the first group halfway in on the left (so only the right half of the spot is showing)
  • Then place the last group halfway on the right (so only the left half is showing in the mask)
  • These two will combine to be your first edge spot at the top.
  • Then take all 6 groups and evenly align them spaced apart horizontally in illustrator. This will make them exactly the right distance from each other, with 5 spots total.
  • You can easily do the same exact method with any spot amounts
  • Just imagine if you cut out the strips at the bottom of this picture and wrapped it around a chip, then cut out the top. If you start wrapping at the top, and connect at the top, does it align? Take a look at the image below, it's the exact one I sent in

Boom!

Took me way too long to figure it all out lol... I have the .ai file if you want it.

20191002_140029.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the company. Always fun to see another company in China knock off artwork you own. Been trying to fight this for years...it never ends. :banghead:

Artwork you own? I designed these from scratch. Definitely sucks if they are popping out copies though man. I can edit the post

I taught myself Inkscape (see thread here) -- it was pretty addictive.

The cost/flexibility is great. I almost wish I had a family reunion poker tourney or a charity poker tourney or some other event just to have an excuse to build out more chips.

I watched that thread with great interest - it was very cool to see the original vision step by step evolve into a 'sharper' end product. Great use of the minds of the hive - what a resource!

How many hours of use before you felt comfortable with inkscape? Did you use the youtube tutorials or something else? Inspired by your design I downloaded it, and at the moment feel like I'm swimming in quicksand (I have very little experience that that sort of software; excel is about as complicated as I'm used to).

Nice looking chips by the way @Bosco24 ! I love the way you got the edge spots to look, in particular the 500/5000/100 000 chips. Thanks for posting the video too.

Z

How many hours of use before you felt comfortable with inkscape? Did you use the youtube tutorials or something else? Inspired by your design I downloaded it, and at the moment feel like I'm swimming in quicksand (I have very little experience that that sort of software; excel is about as complicated as I'm used to).

Thanks for the kind words. Unfortunately for my sleep habits, I'm back at it.

I'm not sure exactly how many hours; it was really a slow accumulation of various techniques that made things work more smoothly, efficiently.

Here's a list of things that I viewed and/or helped:
  • Vectorize in Inkscape: This is how I converted the tower.
  • Text on a circle: I consulted more than just the one page. Its still not completely smooth for me.
  • Learning how to use "layers". I didn't read anything specifically, but once I learned it, it was really helpful. For example, duplicating an element and moving it to a layer is a nice way of preserving your original object while playing around with it some more.
  • The "Align and Distribution..." item under the Object menu. There's also other important things there too (like moving up and down objects).
  • Google Fonts was a good resource. This program made it easy to get them on my computer.
  • I watched a few videos by Logos by Nick.
  • There is a decent amount of freeware vector shapes out there one can play around with.
In any case, it's fun. Good luck! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words. Unfortunately for my sleep habits, I'm back at it.

I'm not sure exactly how many hours; it was really a slow accumulation of various techniques that made things work more smoothly, efficiently.

Here's a list of things that I viewed and/or helped:
  • Vectorize in Inkscape: This is how I converted the tower.
  • Text on a circle: I consulted more than just the one page. Its still not completely smooth for me.
  • Learning how to use "layers". I didn't read anything specifically, but once I learned it, it was really helpful. For example, duplicating an element and moving it to a layer is a nice way of preserving your original object while playing around with it some more.
  • The "Align and Distribution..." item under the Object menu. There's also other important things there too (like moving up and down objects).
  • Google Fonts was a good resource. This program made it easy to get them on my computer.
  • I watched a few videos by Logos by Nick.
  • There is a decent amount of freeware vector shapes out there one can play around with.
In any case, it's fun. Good luck! Let me know if you have any other questions.

I think I've moved past the initial fun stage, and am now in brain numbing learning mode. My brain hasn't been so overwhelmed with new information since I tried to make it understand the intricacies of cryptocurrency!

It's been REALLY enjoyable thinking up themes and designs. Transferring that to the screen has proved a real challenge.

I'll PM you a few questions...

@Bosco24 This is great stuff! May I assume that the company on Alibaba that has photos of your chips is the one you worked with? @SeanGecko told me about his chips and I was checking out the manufacturer he used yesterday. I was immediately drawn to your design as my favorite. Those chips are SOLID! Then I'm poking around here on PCF this morning trying to see who else might be going the direct to manufacturer route, and to my surprise, I see the exact same chips here in your post!!!

@Bosco24 This is great stuff! May I assume that the company on Alibaba that has photos of your chips is the one you worked with? @SeanGecko told me about his chips and I was checking out the manufacturer he used yesterday. I was immediately drawn to your design as my favorite. Those chips are SOLID! Then I'm poking around here on PCF this morning trying to see who else might be going the direct to manufacturer route, and to my surprise, I see the exact same chips here in your post!!!
And now you can read the rest of the story...
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...-room-edge-aligned-ceramic-poker-chips.47904/

Anyone know the name of the company Tina is associated with?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom