Custom Designed Case (1 Viewer)

If I were designing a cabinet, I would be a as concerned with the amount of space/foam around the perimeter as I wouldn’t be as concerned about an impact from the front/back/sides. You still want coverage of foam surrounding all your chips, but not necessarily as much as you would want in a portable case. Just my $.02

The lift-out chip trays have been designed to accommodate a high volume of chips without making the footprint of the cabinet super huge. That's why I asked about the perimeter padding. In your design, it appears as if you've got 1-2 inches of foam between your outer barrels and the edge of the foam. I was just curious if there was a structural reason for that design.

So a big difference about designing custom foam to a case is that you are limited by the dimensions of cases that are available. Not all cases can fit 1000 chips, so you first gotta find one with dimensions that will work, but also one that isn't too big/expensive, etc. Long story short, I wasn't as concerned with structural reasons for distance between chips and wall of the case, and more about centering the chip layout I came up with within the case that I chose.

With your trays, I would think a half an inch to an inch would be plenty, but also wouldn't be that concerned going less than that, especially if the foam fits snug in the tray itself. Also, the more depth you have in the foam, the more stable the walls will be, but less of an issue with this foam in general as it is pretty stout.

Here is a picture of the case I ultimately ordered - I was very pleased with it. And to be honest, I could probably have had the chips closer to the wall of the case and still have been comfortable. This case is now owned by @TheBigTater

Chips 2.JPG

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I think we will go 1" deep, which appears to be a little less depth than you had on yours but I think it'll be fine. I will also likely leave a little more space between the ends of the barrels - maybe I'm overthinking this but a lot of guys seem to be designing their foam with only about 1/4" to get your fingertips in and that just doesn't seem like enough space.

So, I'm working on a custom built case. I don't want to reveal it yet, but I'd like to ask for opinions on foam design.

I have OCD.

This will stack 4 racks high, with finger cut outs to access racks.

I'm not sure if I made it clear that I have OCD.

With the layout I worked on today, I centered the racks vertically and horizontally. That gives 1/4 inch between the wall and the rack and 1/4 inch between the racks.

Untitled2.PNG

I was thinking that staggering the racks so that instead of about 1.25" from each wall, the racks could sit about 1/2 inch from opposite walls. But then there's the OCD issue...

Untitled.png

Is the 1/4" wall too thin? I'm concerned about wear (and ultimately failure) with such a thin wall. I'm thinking, that despite my OCD, the smaller distance of overlap would help the middle wall stand up better. Instead of that middle wall running 8.5 inches, it would only run about 7 inches.

I'm thinking PE foam. Agreed?

Should I be concerned about the thickness of the wall dividing the chips?

Remember, these cutouts are going to be deep enough to hold 4 racks. Base below the cutout will be 1/2 inch.

Untitled3.PNG

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Is the 1/4" wall too thin? I'm concerned about wear (and ultimately failure) with such a thin wall. I'm thinking, that despite my OCD, the smaller distance of overlap would help the middle wall stand up better. Instead of that middle wall running 8.5 inches, it would only run about 7 inches.

That's a pretty thin piece of foam for that much space. Are you committed to that footprint? Is there any way you could expand your case to allow for an extra 1/4" between the cavities and around the perimeter? I think 1/2" walls would be much more durable.

I don' think 7" vs 8 1/2" matters much overall, but the offset design would be more stable.

I think that's all they offer anymore. You need to call their CS to upgrade to their premium foam... I ordered the entry level stuff last time through the builder tool and they emailed me to tell me they'd been having problems with shrinkage and suggested I upgrade.

Any thoughts?

If it were me, I would have concerns about getting the bottom rack out of the foam. Personally, I have hands that are a little larger than that of an average person (my golf glove size is a XXL), so the idea of reaching all the way to the bottom and then lifting the tray straight up and out by one finger on each side would concern me. But if you can make it work of if you've seen others with similar setups, go for it.

Are you committed to that footprint? Is there any way you could expand your case to allow for an extra 1/4" between the cavities and around the perimeter? I think 1/2" walls would be much more durable.

Agreed. Unfortunately, that is the interior dimensions of the unit I have. I could hunt for additional options...

The other options is to use the 4x25 boxes with covers. Then they could store standing up instead of in racks.

Same case, different layout. Instead of standard 5x20 Bud Jones racks, these would be plastic 4x25 cases with lids.

Untitled6.PNG

Finger grooves would be cut 1.5 inches. So the cut away to the edge on the left and right side would only be a short way down (less than 25% of the depth.

Untitled4.PNG

Untitled5.PNG

So, I'm working on a custom built case. I don't want to reveal it yet, but I'd like to ask for opinions on foam design.

I have OCD.

This will stack 4 racks high, with finger cut outs to access racks.

I'm not sure if I made it clear that I have OCD.

With the layout I worked on today, I centered the racks vertically and horizontally. That gives 1/4 inch between the wall and the rack and 1/4 inch between the racks.

View attachment 328739

I was thinking that staggering the racks so that instead of about 1.25" from each wall, the racks could sit about 1/2 inch from opposite walls. But then there's the OCD issue...

View attachment 328740

Should I be concerned about the thickness of the wall dividing the chips?

Remember, these cutouts are going to be deep enough to hold 4 racks. Base below the cutout will be 1/2 inch.

View attachment 328743

Any thoughts?
Are you planning on customizing it yourself or using mycasebuilder?

Are you planning on customizing it yourself or using mycasebuilder?

The design was from mycasebuilder...but I already scrapped that idea because there wasn't enough padding between stacks. Reconfigured the layout using chip boxes instead of racks.b see above.

Reviviing an old thread. Just got the new Black Cat's oiled up and packed up for the trip to DiD in the case I got from @gkitt80 back a few years ago.

IMG_3603a.jpg

I just ordered a second one of these from mycasebuilder and am working on new foam designs to replace my Pick and Pluck foam in a lot of my cases. I'm done with PnP foam, it malforms under the weight of racks of chips & tears up so easily without having to use the Plasti-Dip to stiffen it up, which is a pain and messy. From this point forward I'm a reformed PnP foam user and will only use hard cell foam from this point forward. :tup:

Reviviing an old thread. Just got the new Black Cat's oiled up and packed up for the trip to DiD in the case I got from @gkitt80 back a few years ago.

View attachment 683566

I just ordered a second one of these from mycasebuilder and am working on new foam designs to replace my Pick and Pluck foam in a lot of my cases. I'm done with PnP foam, it malforms under the weight of racks of chips & tears up so easily without having to use the Plasti-Dip to stiffen it up, which is a pain and messy. From this point forward I'm a reformed PnP foam user and will only use hard cell foam from this point forward. :tup:
Drats still haven’t finished my custom insert lol

Drats still haven’t finished my custom insert lol

I've had loads of fun the last few days working on layouts/designs.

Problem is they don't have templates for all the various case ie: Members Mark (which I have a few). etc. They have templates for Apache, Nanuk, Seahorse & Pelican so the real test will be when I get the first custom foam insert for a case not bought through them, how well it will fit.

What's the ballpark cost for a custom foam?

Depends on the size of the case and insert, not exactly cheap but worth it IMO. 1000 plus chip case sizes can range from $60-$100+. The foam for my particular case in my pic is right at $100. Smaller case would mean smaller insert/foam size so it would vary.

Update.....

Beside my 2nd 1000 chip case (like pictured above), when I went home at lunch I got delivery of a couple of my new hard foam designs. First is the custom foam I made using the mycasebuilder designer since they didn't have a template for any Makers Mark cases. It is replacing the P&P foam that I had been using in all of my 16" MM cases. These 16" MM cases are my goto storage/travel cases. perfect for 800 chips & setup and couldn't beat the price when they were available. As you can see the P&P foam is starting to get deformed just from the weight of the chips. This is one of my better shape foams that hasn't been used that much to take chips in & out of, so it's not as bad as some of my others. Ones that have been used by putting chips in and out are in a lot worse shape.

1a.jpg

And now a new hard cell foam insert, I was pleasantly surprised at the fit. I measured numerous times and it paid off.

2b.jpg

I also added a slot for a DB, adjust the setup slot to take most 2 deck setup boxes like Fourniers & Desjgns, and kept the notched finger holes to help retrieve the racks on the bottom (4 across, 2 rows deep)

3c.jpg

4d.jpg

Very pleased, just foam without case from mycasebuilder was $68.

Heads up case pr0n to follow...... :cool

Next up the Heads-Up case for my standard 40/40/20 set with 5 extras 1K's for added bonus. Plus wells for DB's and 2 decks of cards will fit both Bridge size in clear cases or Poker size in a standard tuck box.

5e.jpg

(sorry fuzzy phone pic)

6f.jpg

7g.jpg

8h.jpg

It was a tight fit getting that all in there, I may tweak the design a little before I do another order but I can't complain as the cost with the case & foam was $28 a piece.

Love the idea of hiding the button under the deck of cards. I have posted my case builder case below. It is fun to design indeed.

Attachments

• 63348705-F7FF-4DEA-A852-1C40FEC3EF36.jpeg
    63348705-F7FF-4DEA-A852-1C40FEC3EF36.jpeg
    77.8 KB · Views: 155
  • EDAEBEC0-D065-4B65-8E91-7934AC01B714.jpeg
    EDAEBEC0-D065-4B65-8E91-7934AC01B714.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 149
  • 9EEEC301-9778-4CDE-9B20-831E36C6ACE9.jpeg
    9EEEC301-9778-4CDE-9B20-831E36C6ACE9.jpeg
    201.1 KB · Views: 137
  • 6BD6AE1C-4D9F-4F7F-8CEA-70367839C331.jpeg
    6BD6AE1C-4D9F-4F7F-8CEA-70367839C331.jpeg
    170.8 KB · Views: 153
  • 2B8DC0FD-83E3-4F58-AD4E-69617279D5A0.jpeg
    2B8DC0FD-83E3-4F58-AD4E-69617279D5A0.jpeg
    161.9 KB · Views: 185
Love the idea of hiding the button under the deck of cards. I have posted my case builder case below. It is fun to design indeed.

Yeah I had to find a place for the DBs. It takes up a lot of space to lay the DBs flat so i was able to use the space already there for the cards. It caused some problems and the guys in the shop contacted me & had me change a couple of things so it would work. It still has some problems, a couple of thin walls that don't have enough structural support that I'm going to need to correct for the next order.

I've had fun playing with different designs and cases (almost as much fun as the chip design tool). A couple of things worked really well and a couple were soso, but I'm learning what to do and what not to try.

My next foam to do is a 3 tray level custom foam to fit a Pelican 1510 with 2 removable trays that can hold 1700+ chips.

Update.....

Beside my 2nd 1000 chip case (like pictured above), when I went home at lunch I got delivery of a couple of my new hard foam designs. First is the custom foam I made using the mycasebuilder designer since they didn't have a template for any Makers Mark cases. It is replacing the P&P foam that I had been using in all of my 16" MM cases. These 16" MM cases are my goto storage/travel cases. perfect for 800 chips & setup and couldn't beat the price when they were available. As you can see the P&P foam is starting to get deformed just from the weight of the chips. This is one of my better shape foams that hasn't been used that much to take chips in & out of, so it's not as bad as some of my others. Ones that have been used by putting chips in and out are in a lot worse shape.

View attachment 702864

And now a new hard cell foam insert, I was pleasantly surprised at the fit. I measured numerous times and it paid off.

View attachment 702867

I also added a slot for a DB, adjust the setup slot to take most 2 deck setup boxes like Fourniers & Desjgns, and kept the notched finger holes to help retrieve the racks on the bottom (4 across, 2 rows deep)

View attachment 702872
View attachment 702873

Very pleased, just foam without case from mycasebuilder was $68.

Heads up case pr0n to follow...... :cool
Looks amazing, this is a setup I would like in my Apache 3800 case

I wish I could find a shallower case with these same/similary height & width dimensions,

Was digging around for guys who ordered foam from MyCaseBuilder and came across this thread again. Saw that comment and was probing around the Pelican site until I came across the Pelican iM3100. Gorgeous case. I know that it's lengthier than the 1605 but its 6" in depth as opposed 8" and has wheels, which to me is a huge benefit of traveling with a big set (1000+). Sure it's pricier than some of the other options out there but its a fantastic option for having all the chips on one level for those that don't want to stack their chips in the cases. I like my Apache 4800 as a fill-in but the Pelican iM3100 looks amazing. You just have to make sure and inform whoever is hosting to have enough counter space for that bad boy!

pelican-rifle-shotgun-ammo-gun-hard-case.jpg
pelican-peli-padded-long-rifle-case-hardcase.jpg

This first picture shows that the sizing of each barrel (and keep in mind this is for your typical Paulson) is 67 x 39 x 30 mm
Thanks for all the information. It helped a lot with my own case design.

Attachments

• 726568B7-B7A3-47BC-BB65-E1602CF0DC98.jpeg
    726568B7-B7A3-47BC-BB65-E1602CF0DC98.jpeg
    208.7 KB · Views: 63
  • D1532422-7BCE-47D7-8C49-59014BDBF7DD.jpeg
    D1532422-7BCE-47D7-8C49-59014BDBF7DD.jpeg
    151.3 KB · Views: 63
  • F8AD8ABA-19E0-4EB4-A1EE-FC8FC67FA989.jpeg
    F8AD8ABA-19E0-4EB4-A1EE-FC8FC67FA989.jpeg
    203.3 KB · Views: 69
  • E1FBA6D2-E9CD-4682-B541-9820F1FF37D1.jpeg
    E1FBA6D2-E9CD-4682-B541-9820F1FF37D1.jpeg
    271.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 40327CBF-C7E1-4A9B-B605-585DAB3C5865.jpeg
    40327CBF-C7E1-4A9B-B605-585DAB3C5865.jpeg
    218.2 KB · Views: 69

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom