Custom CPC set or Paulson's Pharaohs? (1 Viewer)

Rockytop

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I'm looking to get a set of chips for a cash game and looking for advice. The options I'm looking at are:

1. Set of Paulsons (like Pharaohs or something)

or

2. Custom CPC set

I'm a newbie with chips and don't know a lot.
Depending on the crowd, we play .50/1 or 1/2, no limit. I would like the flexibility of going up to 3/5 and 5/10 in the future. Budget is open. Basically, I want to do it right the first time.

I'm leaning towards doing a custom set because I like the idea of getting exactly what I want, but I'm just curious what the more experienced community here would advise.

I'm looking to get a set of chips for a cash game and looking for advice. The options I'm looking at are:

1. Set of Paulsons (like Pharaohs or something)

or

2. Custom CPC set

I'm a newbie with chips and don't know a lot.
Depending on the crowd, we play .50/1 or 1/2, no limit. I would like the flexibility of going up to 3/5 and 5/10 in the future. Budget is open. Basically, I want to do it right the first time.

I'm leaning towards doing a custom set because I like the idea of getting exactly what I want, but I'm just curious what the more experienced community here would advise.
The answer to your question is yes.

Is customization important to you? Do you have a name for your card club or game? Do you not care about variety of swapping out different sets and trying new things? Do you prefer to buy things and keep them for life? If so then I would say CPC customs may be the best option.

Do you not care about customization? Do you like to try new things and have the time to buy/sell/trade sets? Are you known to change your mind/preferences? Then Paulsons may be your best bet.

Get some samples of CPCs and and Paulsons.

Custom is the way to go. Just don’t be in a hurry with any aspect of it, get mold samples etc. and you will do fine.

Is customization important to you? Do you have a name for your card club or game? Do you not care about variety of swapping out different sets and trying new things? Do you prefer to buy things and keep them for life? If so then I would say CPC customs may be the best option.

Do you not care about customization? Do you like to try new things and have the time to buy/sell/trade sets? Are you known to change your mind/preferences? Then Paulsons may be your best bet.

Get some samples of CPCs and and Paulsons.
Thank you. Those are great questions to think about.

I guess it's likely that long term I'll end up with both if I go down a similar path as I have with other hobbies. Only time will tell.

I will get samples and then go from there.

I had a big Pharaoh set ~2500 chips and sold them years ago....I received some CPC HHR yesterday....I would pick the HHR even with my boring design over the Pharaoh's if made to choose. They are nice chips but I think over priced now but still they are a banging design if you dig the egyptian theme (sorry for the poor quality it is a photo from ~2013/4). Looking back at it now it was a sweet set.
Photo_00008_zps298c38c0.jpg

Photo_00009_zpsb61e90af.jpg
Photo_00007_zps65fe8eef.jpg

added better pics i found
1641498995819.png

150 of my $5's were classics the rest were denom pharaohs. You can never go wrong with this set my friends loved them till the game faded and other interests came calling. I regret selling them but knowing what they are worth I'd sell them again lol
1641499140646.png

Last edited:
I had a big Pharaoh set ~2500 chips and sold them years ago....I received some CPC HHR yesterday....I would pick the HHR even with my boring design over the Pharaoh's if made to choose. They are nice chips but I think over priced now but still they are a banging design if you dig the egyptian theme (sorry for the poor quality it is a photo from ~2013/4). Looking back at it now it was a sweet set.
View attachment 841906

View attachment 841908View attachment 841909

That's an awesome set for sure!

I've been thinking about a bunch...I think I'll start out with some customs. I'm related to Doc Holiday and my poler table has a Tombstone theme, so thinking of going with with something along those lines, or a James Bond theme. Those are the themes that resonate with me the most.

Reactions: JFG
I'm related to Doc Holiday and my poler table has a Tombstone theme, so thinking of going with with something along those lines, or a James Bond theme.
And with that, you have to get a custom set that Doc Holiday themed.

Customs are the way... In the long run!
I'm glad I didn't start out with customs right away when I joined.
There was so much to learn, to experience, to feel and see.
If I had just messed around with the chip designer and ordered what seemed great at that time I'd be out $3000 and by now pretty unhappy with a set that I could only sell at a loss.
Start out with Paulsons and get those in play. Also get all kinds of samples find out what you like and sell your Paulsons at cost when you receive your awesome customs a year or two down the line.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom