Custom Chip Database 2014, 4th quarter (1 Viewer)

Poker Zombie

Royal Flush
Reaction score
Over on CT there was a thread for the best custom chip ever. The vast numbers of chips to choose from made the selection process difficult, and for many, impossible. Chips images were all over the place, and buried under years of threads. I have no doubt that many great chips never made it to the final ballot simply because they were looked over/forgotton about. In order to make sure this never happens again, I have started building a custom chip database. It includes full customs as well as relabel projects, or any other chip (or plaque) that had to be custom made.

In every custom chip thread, I made a note saying it has been added to my Custom Chip Database. It is possible some chips have snuck by me. Please, if you don't see your custom chip in this list, it isn't a slight. Point it out to me, and I will add it ASAP. Also, I made as many educated guesses on spot patterns as possible, but I have not yet earned my chip guru card. Please point out errors or omissions, so they can be fixed.

I started this list in October on CT. Then CT had a major malfunction. The activity moved over to PCF, so except for the first few chips, all chips in the database have appeared on PCF.

While having all the new images of the quarter in one place is great for Pr0n viewing, It would be a shame to not also celebrate the best new chip of the quarter each quarter. So please comment on which chips you would like to see in the Best New Chip of the Quarter ballot. The PCF poll cuts off at 10, but I will take the top 5 nominations. Nominations will be taken until Jan 18th, when the final ballot will be posted.

Custom Chip Database 14Q4-1.jpgCustom Chip Database 14Q4-2.jpgCustom Chip Database 14Q4-3.jpg

Last edited:
Naturally I have to like this since one of my chip sets made the cut!

This is a cool feature (even if I didn't have any chips in it). Somehow I missed this at CT.

Are we supposed to be picking five from a database or five from the ones in the first post?

FYI - the PCF/PGI chip was a joint effort between myself p5woody and PGI. Tommy and I worked on the PCF side and the PGI artist created the PGI side to match our design. So I guess the artist should be p5woody/PGI

The pics in post #1 are all the chips I found in the last quarter of 2004. Nominate five from post 1. If you know of chips that I missed, I will add them as needed. I built the original database in Excel, which wouldn't transfer over to PCF, so I rebuilt it as a photoshop doc. Ideally, I would have links to the original pr0n, but I don't live in that ideal world. The pics in post 1 are all the chips in the database (excluding new additions since Jan 1).

i will change the PGI chip to p5woody/PGI when I reopen the file.

Who all is allowed to nominate?

Anybody. This is just a celebration of the chips that came out in the past 3 months. It will not be as big of a deal as the PCF International Hall of Fame, but it will give future generations of HoF selection committees a chance to grab a quick glimpse all the chips. The gallery will of course be a good place too, but not everyone puts their pr0n into the gallery.

The Best Chip of the Quarter is just a way to celebrate great chips all year long. Anybody with one good eye can appreciate the love for a well designed chip.

You have the Casablanca plaque chipper as "AfterTheFact" but it is in fact me, the world renowned* MeridanFC. As a side note in all this discussion about great chips I went looking back at CT for "the Grove" set (ASM) which was one of my favorite ever. All the picture links are dead and I can't seem to find them anywhere else. The user, Blackclay, does not appear to have been active in years (he did check in back in March). IIRC they were designed by user machinelf. I've sent Blackclay a note over on CT

*May not in fact be world renowned.

Been searching databases for chip sets for the last couple of weeks for the HOF.

After page ten on the custom pic page on CT the amount of broken links gets severely depressing.

You have the Casablanca plaque chipper as "AfterTheFact" but it is in fact me, the world renowned* MeridanFC.

I see where I went wrong. Database updated.

As a side note in all this discussion about great chips I went looking back at CT for "the Grove" set (ASM) which was one of my favorite ever. All the picture links are dead and I can't seem to find them anywhere else. The user, Blackclay, does not appear to have been active in years (he did check in back in March).

Dead links are what inspired my to create the database. I cannot possibly save every pic of pr0n though, so I just select the best shot or 2 of the chip or set. If others have a better idea as to how to do this, I am open to suggestions.

- - - - - - - - - Updated - - - - - - - - -

Last edited:
Where's biveys addon?

S@PII commem (this and courages commem chips are the best by far)
DCS commem
Bergs Truman's house $2
biveys CdN add on(if it made the time line)
Toads bounty.

And Truman's house $2

I hadn't added biveys, because they were being remade. I suspect he'll post more (and less blurry) pr0n when they are finished.

Also, Thanks for the heads up on the Trumans chip. That one got by me. Adding it now.

Last edited:
I see that CPC actually made 2 different Christmas 2014 chips. The one he posted online was green with red 312 spots, the other was red with green 312 spots, posted by Krony on Jan 8th in the Holiday giveaway thread. The database has been updated to reflect the different chip.

I see that CPC actually made 2 different Christmas 2014 chips. The one he posted online was green with red 312 spots, the other was red with green 312 spots, posted by Krony on Jan 8th in the Holiday giveaway thread. The database has been updated to reflect the different chip.

Is this database a local file or online? If it's local would you be interested in making it available online? I'm sure we could find a long term solution and it would be a great resource for everyone. I would be willing to help in your efforts.

Right now it's just local, and I will be posting quarterly updates, like this one. I could put it online, but that runs into some problems:
  1. Although I have my own domain, I recognise the potential that saving thousands of photos could eventually lead to a rate hike from the host.
  2. I could offset the cost with a simple banner ad (I would never go to CT levels of ads), but I'd have to figure that out
  3. Photos shared here still belong to the individuals, or PCF (I'm not sure how the law falls on this issue). Taking them and putting them up elsewhere for a "profit" violates someone's copyright, I am fairly sure.
  4. I know chips sneak by me. I cannot read every thread now, and I am sure I will read even fewer when I return to work. So to create an online database, I would want it to be comprehensive. I'm beginning to think that is impossible. Even the PCF or CT galleries are not comprehensive, because not everybody that has posted pics in threads has posted pics in the gallery. So while I will actively pursue the Quarterly Custom Chip Database (QCCD) at this time it will be limited to threads like this one. I intend to always use the same formatting for the thread title, so each thread will be easily found in the search bar.

I actually expected this to create more of a buzz than it did. Maybe voting for a chip of the quarter didn't give a deep enough of a selection pool for readers to be concerned. I will re-evaluate in 3 more months, when the flood of FDL molds come pouring in. Until then, this will remain local, and be posted quarterly, on PCF servers.

very tough to choose among them, but these are my nominations:

(1) shootout at the post commem;
(2) DSC IV commem; and
(3) truman's house $2.

Right now it's just local, and I will be posting quarterly updates, like this one. I could put it online, but that runs into some problems:
  1. Although I have my own domain, I recognise the potential that saving thousands of photos could eventually lead to a rate hike from the host.
  2. I could offset the cost with a simple banner ad (I would never go to CT levels of ads), but I'd have to figure that out
  3. Photos shared here still belong to the individuals, or PCF (I'm not sure how the law falls on this issue). Taking them and putting them up elsewhere for a "profit" violates someone's copyright, I am fairly sure.
  4. I know chips sneak by me. I cannot read every thread now, and I am sure I will read even fewer when I return to work. So to create an online database, I would want it to be comprehensive. I'm beginning to think that is impossible. Even the PCF or CT galleries are not comprehensive, because not everybody that has posted pics in threads has posted pics in the gallery. So while I will actively pursue the Quarterly Custom Chip Database (QCCD) at this time it will be limited to threads like this one. I intend to always use the same formatting for the thread title, so each thread will be easily found in the search bar.

I actually expected this to create more of a buzz than it did. Maybe voting for a chip of the quarter didn't give a deep enough of a selection pool for readers to be concerned. I will re-evaluate in 3 more months, when the flood of FDL molds come pouring in. Until then, this will remain local, and be posted quarterly, on PCF servers.

Seems like a microblogging site like tumblr etc might be handy. Example:

http://custompokerchipdatabase.tumblr.com

Everything can be done by my phone on the fly. Very simple and seemingly stable platform.

I may give it a whirl. The problem with these type of sites is that they are free today, but tomorrow they may charge a fee. One of the photo sites did that (I don't recall which one, I didn't personally use it) and that is the reason so many of CT's links are broken today.

I may give it a whirl. The problem with these type of sites is that they are free today, but tomorrow they may charge a fee. One of the photo sites did that (I don't recall which one, I didn't personally use it) and that is the reason so many of CT's links are broken today.

My custom chip posts in the other page have broken links but that seemed to happen during the changeover to the new platform. They images are still hosted on a free site and are live. I wonder if is a similar story for a lot of other custom chips there? Annoying.

My custom chip posts in the other page have broken links but that seemed to happen during the changeover to the new platform. They images are still hosted on a free site and are live. I wonder if is a similar story for a lot of other custom chips there? Annoying.

very sadly, it is a similar story. the many pr0n posts have been eviscerated over there as i learned while searching for HoF material. so many classic sets gone and so many of them from members who are no longer active and therefore very unlikely to replace the photos.

i'm thinking there should be an effort made at some point in the near future to have active members who saved photos of others' sets to post the photos again so others can save them as well. i know i have a couple of files of some of my favorites, but approaching exhaustive.

very sadly, it is a similar story. the many pr0n posts have been eviscerated over there as i learned while searching for HoF material. so many classic sets gone and so many of them from members who are no longer active and therefore very unlikely to replace the photos.

i'm thinking there should be an effort made at some point in the near future to have active members who saved photos of others' sets to post the photos again so others can save them as well. i know i have a couple of files of some of my favorites, but approaching exhaustive.

I'll post my custom sets on PCF at some point. I won't hassle with ct anymore.

There was a thread over there at one time discussing the broken links, about a year or 2 ago. A 3rd party site was free, but then decided to charge. People had about a month to either pay or lose access to their photos. Since most people have their photos locally, this was not a big deal. For others, who used the cloud as their only storage, this basically amounted to ransoming their photos back.

I would hate to but a ton of time and effort into a database that someone else could just shut down.

There was a thread over there at one time discussing the broken links, about a year or 2 ago. A 3rd party site was free, but then decided to charge. People had about a month to either pay or lose access to their photos. Since most people have their photos locally, this was not a big deal. For others, who used the cloud as their only storage, this basically amounted to ransoming their photos back.

I would hate to but a ton of time and effort into a database that someone else could just shut down.

yeah it was imageshack. i never really understood the indignance about their starting to charge, though. there are plenty of free services around and yeah it's a bit of a pain in the ass to move all your photos over, but everyone had plenty of time to pull them down and store them for the eventual migration.

the time and effort you put into whatever you do with this will never be taken away, though. the information gathering is the hard part. if you have to move it every so often (very rarely in all likelihood - i'd set the o/u at .5 moves for each 5 year period you keep the project going and extend it to 10 years if you use tumblr or imgur), that seems like a pretty small price to pay.

Agreed that the info gathering is the toughest part. If I were to try and include old chips from the past, it would be even harder - the stuff you hire interns for. As it stands there have been 6 new chips or sets posted since January 1st. I seriously underestimated how many new chips roll off the presses on a daily basis. And these are just chips posted on PCF. I am sure there are those loyal to CT (Tories?) that have new chips posted there, But I don't have those. I find the new CT frustrating at best, and seldom go there except to check up on my CPS order.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom