Custom Ceramics Textured or Smooth? (3 Viewers)

Nuhockey

Full House
Supporter
Reaction score
I am probably going to get Custom Ceramics made by a Chinese Vendor whom quite a few people have used on here. I was going to go with ABC, but the price was too good to pass up with this vendor. They are going to send me samples of my design on their chip first. The question they asked me for my samples is do I wanted Textured or Smooth. My design I have is going to run the whole chip with no inlay look. They are also going to align the chips and do rolling edge printing. My question is with Ceramics which do you all prefer textured ceramic chips or smooth ceramic chips? I These will be 39mm Chips. Thanks.

As far as the scrub donkey ceramics go, they're textured and I love the feel. They're a tad grabby when they're brand new but as they break in they reach a perfect amount of texture and they stack/feel great. I was very surprised honestly

I have both.. my first set was smooth and I loved them. My latest samples are textures, and I love them.
This was absolutely no help, I know.

Best solution. Get samples of both and assess.

If I had to choose from my samples, textured.

I handled a few Ceramic chips. I'll give you my take to better help you decide.

My first foray was the sample Aces flat ceramics from the Bosco campaign.; They had texture to them, but they were incredibly slick and had spinners that really spin, much more than dice chips were. I believe the Scrub Donkey chips are since they both came from the same vendor. However I am unsure if the sample chips I had were worn down some. It didn't look the case, but either way, over time it was so slick it became such a turn off for me. Plus doing a fall text on my kitchen floor showed they were very easy to ding up really bad.

Next I had gotten the Sunfly-Polyclay-like, sandpaper-surface-like, card-molded ceramic chips and instantly loved them. These are my favorite ceramics. They had a good texture that felt like smooth sandpaper, stacked very well, kept the chips stacked firm with no slipping, no spinners whatsoever, but best of all the colors on them were vibrant. After 6 or some regular games, I did notice the surface texture smoothing out more, and did become more slick, but not enough to be a deal breaker. Plus stacking the chips up to 20-chips still kept the stack standing firm, not being easy to have them knock over on accident. They are also very durable; performed multiple drop tests on my hard kitchen floor with my one extra frac chip, and not a nick or ding anywhere on it. Easily the better option compared to the their flat ceramic chips as previously stated IMHO.

Side note, these chips are printed with dye-sublimation, and having some of samples of this chips having them been shuffled and handled practically to death, there was no wear on the "paint" of the chips like I seen other ceramics with the white outlines around their edges.

Last ceramic chip I handled were a few samples from ABC. PCFer sent me a few samples of ceramic chips he wanted to design, and sent me different ceramic types all from the same design. I honestly wasn't a big fan of the ABC chips in terms of appearance. The colors were much more muted compared to the card-mold chips, and I didn't care for its surface. They're not bad chips at all, stack well, stable stacks, no spinners, but the feel and appearance of them were kind of a turn of to me. The chip costs compared to the card-mold vendor are higher, but then again you'd probably pay less in shipping for the former than the latter.

But yeah, just get samples.

Sometimes the texture can cause the artwork to appear blurry. However, when that's not the case, then texture all the way.

Last edited:
My question is with Ceramics which do you all prefer textured ceramic chips or smooth ceramic chips?
Generally speaking, textured chips handle/feel better, and smooth chips will display intricate design details better. So for most applications, I prefer textured blanks.... but if I was planning a design with fine detail design elements, I'd go with smooth to get the extra print clarity.

Generally speaking, textured chips handle/feel better, and smooth chips will display intricate design details better. So for most applications, I prefer textured blanks.... but if I was planning a design with fine detail design elements, I'd go with smooth to get the extra print clarity.

See, I said that, but not as well as @BGinGA did. Well put!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom