Custom Ceramic design "The Pen" (1 Viewer)

Marhault

Full House
Supporter
Reaction score
So I decided after a lot of debate that I wanted to do a custom set theme related to my job. For those that may not know I work at a Federal Penitentiary. This was after throwing around a lot of different themes.

I went to @timinater to have him do the full set for me. We went through several iterations. Quite a few minor color changes and in the end this is what we settled on.

FINAL-The Pen_Cash.jpg

FINAL-The Pen_Tournament.jpg

The 5c and the 100k won't be getting created for now. They're chips that I won't likely be using so towards the end I decided to axe them but they're included on the final proof in case I decide later on to get them produced.

The black hundo in the cash set has a blue rolling edge to represent the "thin blue line". The tower on the chip is a representation of the towers that are outside our institution.

I couldn't be happier. There was a lot of help a long the way. I asked advice of many people along the way. I wanted to call out a few in no particular order.

@Kensco helped with tons of knowledge about lines and color bleed and the sizing and spacing of letters on ceramics in particular as well as coming up with a design altering draft early on that sent us in this final direction.

@FordPickup92 for dealing with me constantly sharing drafts with her and helping with advice on colors and possible conflicts with dirty stacks etc and just general advice.

@Poker Zombie for giving me some good sizing outlines early on as well as some technical numbers of sizes in relationship to art, denomination and location.

If I didn't name you please know that I appreciated all the help along the way even if it was just to take a quick look at the design for a thumbs up/thumbs down.

I forget who gave me this advice but I'm gonna sit on this design for a couple months before proceeding to make sure I still love it as much a month or 2 from now, and also because things are pretty busy here right now so after the holidays is a better idea. I will for sure share some finished pics once they are complete.

Happy to be of assistance, they look great! Cant wait to see them on an actual chip!!! Hope the guys at your work appreciate them too!!!

Sample set dibs.
Question since you work there, can you bring these to work and use these for group activities, race relations workshop, job training (poker pro) etc. :sneaky: :D

Sample set dibs.
Question since you work there, can you bring these to work and use these for group activities, race relations workshop, job training (poker pro) etc. :sneaky: :D
Lol no. However one of the ideas behind this was to get something for giveaways during correction workers week in May. We do like a silent auction thing where people can donate stuff and people bid on it and the money goes towards activities that week. I plan on donating a set of chips as well as some to give to staff members. We get challenge coins and such occasionally I thought this might be a little unique.

We get challenge coins and such occasionally I thought this might be a little unique.
Love when the customs have a strong personal connection. I’m curious about the challenge coins, that’s cool.

When’s the, I’m a pen worker, AMA thread?

Edit:
Second dibs
Third dibs.

Nice job overall!

I might have some concerns about the Pink frac and the Red $5, but that just be my old man eyes. I have a one set that is playable, but it bugs me because the rainbow is vast and I opted for colors that were close enough that it requires the occasional double-take.

Very nice. My father and grandfather both worked as correctional officers, so this one speaks to me more than some other designs.

Lots of potential here! Remember that with ceramics you have hand different designs on each chip...

View attachment 379248
Absolutely, but I wanted to keep it simple, and I wasn't trying to weigh @timinater down too long, he's a busy man. I will be getting more down the road without a doubt. I'm not sure how it will evolve from here. People have told me that custom ceramics are an entry drug into custom clays...so that might be the next logical step.

I do really love ceramics though for what they bring to the table. Maybe more than the average user here. Love the sound and feel.

People have told me that custom ceramics are an entry drug into custom clays
They are also entry into a whole lot more custom ceramics, as well! For the price, anything you dream up can be created.

Love when the customs have a strong personal connection. I’m curious about the challenge coins, that’s cool.

When’s the, I’m a pen worker, AMA thread?

Edit:

Third dibs.
In all honesty people would probably be surprised at how boring it would be. There's for sure stories and crazy shit that happens but the running theme is 99% sitting on your ass waiting for something to happen and 1% total effing chaos.

This is precisely why I waited on getting these made. My wife has told me that I should at least consider doing clay because she knows that's the "best" (she listens more than I thought she did) so I've spent my Christmas Eve watching Christmas movies and playing with the CPC design tool. Here's what I've come up with so far. The cash set is spotted, I'm pretty set on the 20 and 100 the rest are kinda fluid. All I've done with the tourney set is do a solid base color. I'm a noob with the tool, but I would like a nice spot progression on my tourney set so any advice would be appreciated. Be kind, I have zero artistic talent. IF i decided to go this route I'd probably be hitting Tim up to see if he could color match the inlay as much as possible.

9fed6fbb-ee22-4368-b082-a2c24ba2a76e.png

f527123f-5d81-46de-85de-e51cb9a37b98.png

I quite liked your inlay style for ceramic, but on a clay chip I think you might want to consider some adjustments to make the inlay style work as well as possible.

I do like your first spot mockups though. The $1 might be a bit dark though and I'd prefer to see 2 spot colours on the Hundo, particularly since the rest have it. But overall, great start.

Keep the design thread going, as they are always useful whilst you are working on a set. I found it most helpful when finalising my set.

On the edge of the T5000, the fact that the text is black bugged me. Same for $20 and $100 denom.

I'd really make sure that no color could be me mixed while in play under lower ligjting.
Ex: 5c and $5, T25 and T5000.

What about a octogon or oversized bounty chip ?

I like your theme. Not too crowded and really using all everything that the ceramic platform is offering (design on the edges, full face design, ...). Well done !

It's really good. I would caution about trying to color match though. Each batch of clay is hand made, so chips made today will not match chips made next year - also a good reason to make sure you get everything now, not "I'll get a small set now and then add-on next year". Sometimes it works, but frequently it does not.

For the same reason, I caution against color matching. It might work, but it might not (simple colors like black, sure, but blues or greens often vary the most). It will be close, but if it is a shade off, will you be OK?

I had a long talk with __________ (I can't remember his name right now), the main chip maker at CPC. He recommended against ever color matching labels, instead suggesting a black or white circle that separates the color of the label from the color of the clay. Then if there is any difference, you won't really notice.

Last edited:
Updated cash lineup. Thanks to help from @FordPickup92 and @Josh Kifer this is gonna be a tough decision...

b2ffeac2-df56-4ba5-a0a4-2c48309ef268.png

The thought behind the black chip is the "thin blue line" if I do decide this is the way to go I'll have to hit Tim up to get a blue line through the inlay to match up to the spots.

The 5 is supposed to be like prison orange...I love that.

I hope you don't mind me saying, but i prefer these as ceramics. Going clay i think a black or white background, same for all the chips, would look better. Maybe some color matchning elements, but not the entire background. Also, the asymethrics of the guard tower and even more so the beam from the search light works great on a full face ceramic as that is the entire "canvas", so to speak. Using the same image as a label on a clay chip i'm not so sure, as something new starts over again with the clay and edgespots whereas on a ceramic it was the end of the image. So if you're going clay instead, i think starting over might be a good idea. You can still use the same elements, like the guard tower and so, but that's just my opinion. In the end, you should get what you want yourself.

Surprisingly I like the ceramics for this better too. Probably because that’s what they were originally designed for.

I do dig the spots you have mocked though. Lakeshore and West cardroom inspiration?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom