Curious and confused (clay or ceramic) (1 Viewer)

ultravenom

Reaction score
Hi people of chips.... i usually play with cheap walmart set.... and it is fine, but sometimes i fell my crew should upgrade to better set... i like both clay and ceramic, but i feel durability of ceramic might be better, clay feels more natural. I am looking forward talking to yall. :)

Hi people of chips.... i usually play with cheap walmart set.... and it is fine, but sometimes i fell my crew should upgrade to better set... i like both clay and ceramic, but i feel durability of ceramic might be better, clay feels more natural. I am looking forward talking to yall. :)
GET SAMPLES.
Fall in love with Clay.
Be sad that it is too expensive.
Pay hundreds of dollars in "China Clay" chips (plasticy) and dope labels.
Enjoy those
Buy Ceramics full custom.
START A GROUP BUY.

(The story of Sean)

Enjoy
Be cool
-Sean

Semi- or fully custom ceramics from @ABC Gifts and Awards/ @BR Pro Poker or @SUN-FLY Poker Chips are your best value. Top quality chips, quality graphics, and top notch service. Close behind that would be @SeanGecko's group buy. Chips aren't quite as nice, but you can't beat the price.

Actual compression molded clay chips are the bomb-diggity if you ask me, but you'll pay for it. Classic Poker Chips (http://www.classicpokerchips.com/ @David Spragg) is the only company that makes clay chips for the home market. They are fantastic!

You could also go the route of of finding Paulsons, Blue Chip Company (BCC), or TRK chips. This can be consuming, and expensive, although there are more affordable options.

Welcome to the forum!

Good luck, and GET SAMPLES!!!!

Ceramics are fairly tough but they may chip. Clay will be more durable as long as you don't let a 6 year old drop them on concrete.

Hello and welcome!

There are high end plastics to consider as well as ceramics and the real compression clays. If you're potentially spending a good amount of change, it would behoove you to get samples.

There are some sample sets of various chips available to forum members for evaluation just for signing up. Look for the threads in the Poker Chip General section, stickied to the top.

Ceramics are fairly tough but they may chip. Clay will be more durable as long as you don't let a 6 year old drop them on concrete.

I have many thousands of ceramic chips, and I've never seen one chip.

OTOH, my first set of China clays chipped so badly all over the table felt the first time they were used that I gave them away. (Edit: that was documented here (not CT,I think) with pictures. Mine was just one omplaint of many.)

Obviously, ymmv.

Last edited:
I have many thousands of ceramic chips, and I've never seen one chip.
That's because they sit on shelves with tens of thousands of other chips that never get used, either. :)

Of the many ceramics I've owned, used, and played, I've seen exactly four of 'em chip or break - and one of those was on purpose (for science). None were Chipco. The cheap ceramics are definitely more brittle and prone to damage during normal play.

Last edited:
That's because they sit on shelves with tens of thousands of other chips that never get used, either. :)

Most do, that's true. 8;)

But I used Chipco (Surfsides, Paradise Card Rooms, and Busted Flush) ceramics exclusively for at least five years of my weekly home game in VA, and had zero flakes/chips. It was in that same weekly home game, 10 years later, that I experienced the cascade of flakes from the CCs.

Welcome! Ceramics are great and affordable, personally I prefer clay for feel and sound, but everyone is different. Ceramics are definitely more durable. I would devise a budget for your chip purchase and get samples!!!!! Ceramics are also more affordable customizable, if thats your thing too

Of the many ceramics I've owned, used, and played, I've seen exactly four of 'em chip or break - and one of those was on purpose (for science). None were Chipco. The cheap ceramics are definitely more brittle and prone to damage during normal play.

I think this is a chipco.

WIN_20200702_16_10_26_Pro.jpg

The problem with ceramics is when they chip, the colour layer is very thin, so the white base is exposed. With usage, the telltale white ring begins to appear.

WIN_20200702_16_10_46_Pro.jpg

With a lot of use the chip image is eventually worn away.

WIN_20200702_16_11_10_Pro.jpg

While you can break a clay chip, at least the colour never changes. Nor can you wear away an inlay (though hotstamps do wear as well).

WIN_20200702_16_11_25_Pro (2).jpg

I can’t imagine the amount of home game play needed to expose the underlying white plastic in a ceramic chip.

Ceramics are great for the full face artwork and durability. China Clays vary in their quality a lot, but top notch ones like the Royals will give you a "clay feel" for a great price. You can also order blanks and provide your own artwork.

Paulsons and CPC (and some other brands no longer in production) have amazing quality and sound and feel... But are typically much more expensive.

You've gotta get a budget squared away, see what's even in the realm of possibility, and then get samples. Samples. SAMPLES!!!

Edit: 1000 posts ... FLUSH! This place is a black hole vortex of money sucking, time spending bliss.

I think this is a chipco.

View attachment 484477
The problem with ceramics is when they chip, the colour layer is very thin, so the white base is exposed. With usage, the telltale white ring begins to appear.

Do you have any idea how those chips occurred? People randomly splashing the pot? Dropped on the floor?

Anyway, that's why Dog invented multi-color Sharpies. :cool

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom