Cupholders vs no cupholders (1 Viewer)

I wonder how those folding eating tables would work that you use for your living room?
They work great as long as you add cup holders to them. They do want to tip over easy when moving them around though. Glad to have upgraded to ones with casters.

Has anyone done a drink cart design where they can nest inside each other for easier storage?

They use those at one of the NH cardrooms. Good sized operation with two floors, over 30 tables, and a great kitchen. They work fine enough, but you’ll see them go over from time to time. But they’re used primarily for food - people put their drinks in cup holders.
The only problem with using them for drinks is that it’s pretty easy to knock a drink off one of them with a stray elbow or whatever. Proper side tables have cup holders built in.
That place had 9 player cash tables upstairs, with cup holders built into the rail, and 10 player tournament tables downstairs, where they used slide-unders.
But on slow weeknights, they’d have small tournaments upstairs. And they’d seat ten players. The tables were big enough that it wasn’t uncomfortable (unless to got stuck between a couple of giant guys) but that’s a minor disadvantage to in-rail cup holders - when you want to squeeze in an extra player, everything gets a little messed up, cup holder-wise.

So I am looking at making a 2nd table, my 1st table i put cupholders in the rail only because I have speed cloth and it is water resistant.This next table i am debating on what to do, I want to get a custom felt made and don't want drinks spilled on it if there are cupholders in the rail. So wanted to see what everyone's opinions are with cupholders in the rail?

Thank you for your opinions!
Lamented over this decision ourselves with our recent Chan table ...

Love cup holders in the rail. People need to drink through out a game.

Side carts did not work for us due to space. We didn't want to babysit removable cup holders that do provide more flexibility for seating arrangements.

We settled on 8 as opposed to 10 as that covers probably 90% of our games. Depending on your build you may not even have to decide how many.

Big thumbs up for a feature you will need regardless.

That place had 9 player cash tables upstairs, with cup holders built into the rail, and 10 player tournament tables downstairs, where they used slide-unders.
But on slow weeknights, they’d have small tournaments upstairs. And they’d seat ten players. The tables were big enough that it wasn’t uncomfortable (unless to got stuck between a couple of giant guys) but that’s a minor disadvantage to in-rail cup holders - when you want to squeeze in an extra player, everything gets a little messed up, cup holder-wise.
I do see the point if you have an extra person and the opposite could go as well, if you have 5 or 6 players, the seats could get messed up a little but and someone's elbow could be laying on a cupholder.

I do see the point if you have an extra person and the opposite could go as well, if you have 5 or 6 players, the seats could get messed up a little but and someone's elbow could be laying on a cupholder.
Which is why I always said, reluctantly, that I preferred slide unders for their flexibility (despite the fact that they clog up the playing surface.) But when push cane to shove recently, I ordered a table build with in-rail cup holders. I’ll let you know how that goes, if I ever get to host again.

One more point, which should be the least important - I think the majority of people like the look of in rail cup holders. They make for a more finished, orderly looking build.

Well you have to have the space for the drink carts AND you need to train your players & not allow drinks on the table. They learn pretty quick if you actually enforce it.....
^^^ this... if you have the room for drink carts then that’s the way to go. If not, then built-in cupholders

Slide under cup holders... flexible and come in different sizes
Don't take up space for those who don't drink at the table
I also have a few small round tables I put near the ends of the table

How do you like the cup holder with that has the tongue compared to in the table?
I prefer the slide-ins, but I use those on a bigger table and we're rarely 10 players at the table. Also, they're jumbo so they fit most bottles, cans and glasses. So some reasons why I prefer them;
* You can adjust number of cups to players (who are drinking, but that's more of a theoretical plus at my games)
* Players can have 2 cups (or more I guess) if needed
* You don't have fixed location for cups so when not full, players can set up cups wherever they prefer

I should mentioned that since I'm using a larger table you do have more real estate which makes the cups cause less clutter so keep that in mind.
Edit: One more thing, at my games I'm the dealer so I deal cards, push pots, etc. so there are fewer arms flailing over the table also reducing the risk of spills but more importantly, dealer errors.

Last edited:
Centered cupholders in the rail are the worst. I refuse to use one -- my drink will go on the table, on the floor, between my legs, or in your face before I put it directly in front of me where it interferes with everything.

*Essay warning*

My thoughts on the subject after building hundreds of tables and playing on many different style tables as well.

80% of the tables we build have cup holders in the rail. Very few people get drink carts, mostly due to space limitations.

My ranking best to worst:
Drink carts
Cup holders in the rail
Cup holders mounted underneath the table
Cup holders in the playing surface like in a racetrack
No cup holders and no drink carts

If you have the space for drink carts, this is the best solution. Most people are going to drink something, whether it's water, booze, coffee, pop, etc. They need somewhere to put it. If you have no drink carts and no cup holders anywhere near the table, players will end up putting them on the floor, or pulling up an extra chair and the drink gets put somewhere very precarious and most likely going to get spilled. At least though, it won't be on the table.

Drink carts also usually fit underneath the table for storage when not in use. They're also flexible in design, so you can have nesting drink carts, rolling drink carts, folding drink carts, hell you can even hang them from the ceiling if you want. I've had many people who have purchased my drink carts tell me that they love them because they're also very useful around the house. They're great sofa side tables, TV tray dinner tables, or even the office desk for an extra place to put stuff, like drinks away from paperwork and the computer.

If you do not have room for drink carts, then in the rail is the next best option IMO. Where? In front of the player. It doesn't have to be directly in front, but it shouldn't be between players. When you're reaching into the middle of the table to scoop a pot or make a bet, elbows can bump the drink resulting in more spills.

I don't mind having cup holders directly in front of a player, perfectly centered. Although it obstructs your view of your cards, I usually pull my cards over to the side just a little and peel them up to peek at them. I usually stack my chips (when I occasionally have some and haven't donked them all away) directly in front of me anyways, so the chips are usually in the way of peeking at my cards as well.

I prefer cup holders underneath the table over inside the table for one main reason. If you have a cup holder on the playing surface, either in the racetrack or the slide in style, if a drink ever gets bumped, there's a 90% chance it's getting spilled onto the playing surface. If a drink is in the rail and gets bumped, at least there's a 50/50 chance it'll get spilled away from the middle.

It's been mentioned already but with the slide under the rail type, it can leave a gap under the rail where cards can also slide under. This isn't the case 100% of the time, you can have a snug rail pushing down on the table where a slide in cup holder will fit underneath and cards won't slide under unless pitched with quite a bit of force. It's just a tricky balance to get the right amount of pressure and screw/bolt locations. If you have lights or a wood trim raised rail, this is even harder or even impossible depending on how the table is built.

The big downside of the cup holders underneath the table is you lose legroom, depending on what kind of mechanism you have to hold the cup holders. They're also usually more expensive since you have to either build or buy the hardware.

What kind of cup holders? Jumbo. 3.5" inner diameter cup holders work the best. They're deep at 2-1/4" so even a tall beer bottle will only tip so far before it stops because the bottom jams into the opposite side. The dual size are the same depth, so yes a bottle or can that fits in the smaller part is held in place better, but when you have a wider cup it doesn't sit as deep into the cup holder because it doesn't fit into the smaller diameter space at the bottom.

Your miles may vary, everyone has their own preferences, these are just my thoughts and experiences.

Where? In front of the player. It doesn't have to be directly in front, but it shouldn't be between players.
I cannot disagree with this more. Directly in front is the worst possible location.

Directly in front, if just under your chest, shouldn't be an issue. Card peeping is done a few inches further away.

I cannot disagree with this more. Directly in front is the worst possible location.
Maybe you are sitting too low at the table or something. Or do you just like resting one of your arms on top of your beer? :)

I've never run into elbow room issues with cupholders to the side. But I knock into a centered drink with almost every single action I make. I'd seriously rather not play (or drink).

I still maintain that when given the choice of where to place their drink with slide-under cup holders, hardly anyone will ever pick directly in front of themselves. So it makes no sense to force people to live with that decision being pre-made for them.

I've never run into elbow room issues with cupholders to the side. But I knock into a centered drink with almost every single action I make. I'd seriously rather not play (or drink).

I still maintain that when given the choice of where to place their drink with slide-under cup holders, hardly anyone will ever pick directly in front of themselves. So it makes no sense to force people to live with that decision being pre-made for them.
YOU ARE WRONG!!!
:p :LOL: :laugh::LOL: :laugh:

I don’t like in-rail cup holders, but if they’re there, it is least constrictive when directly in front of you. Arms go on either side, hands in front. No issue of ever hitting the drink. Either you or I are doing something wrong.

Surprised this hasn’t been mentioned...Ive got Chanman side carts and one Chan table with the special @Lars extra deep cup holders. Regular sized mounted in jumbos. They keep a regular sized beer bottle so low even Dave might be tempted to play. They do not compromise leg room.
45F6058D-FC40-42F4-9412-B63183C00799.jpeg

edit: best solution is play 6 max and all the room you want.

I prefer the slide-ins, but I use those on a bigger table and we're rarely 10 players at the table. Also, they're jumbo so they fit most bottles, cans and glasses. So some reasons why I prefer them;
* You can adjust number of cups to players (who are drinking, but that's more of a theoretical plus at my games)
* Players can have 2 cups (or more I guess) if needed
* You don't have fixed location for cups so when not full, players can set up cups wherever they prefer

I should mentioned that since I'm using a larger table you do have more real estate which makes the cups cause less clutter so keep that in mind.
Edit: One more thing, at my games I'm the dealer so I deal cards, push pots, etc. so there are fewer arms flailing over the table also reducing the risk of spills but more importantly, dealer errors.
Do you have a dealer cut out on the table?

So, if there is disagreement on drink position, if you have fixed cupholders, how do you decide whether they go in front or to the side? In my last game, I tried putting mine in front and could not take it for more than 5 minutes.

*Essay warning*

My thoughts on the subject after building hundreds of tables and playing on many different style tables as well.

80% of the tables we build have cup holders in the rail. Very few people get drink carts, mostly due to space limitations.

Drink carts
Cup holders in the rail

If you have the space for drink carts, this is the best solution. Most people are going to drink something, whether it's water, booze, coffee, pop, etc. They need somewhere to put
Count me in the 80 percent. That said, I have space for side carts, use them in my poker room and still went with cup holders in the rail when I ordered a Chanman table.

Reason is I decided to prohibit drinks at the table for the first year while the table was new. I would've gone to DEFCON 1 if someone accidentally spilled a beer, water, coffee, etc., on my new table. :LOL: :laugh:

After the year is up in August 2021, then I'll allow drinks in the cup holders in the rail. For now, my regs use the side carts for their drinks, while the rail cup holders make for handy-dandy phone holders since the table came with built-in USB ports. Versatility!

P.S. Nice essay, Tony.

Count me in the 80 percent. That said, I have space for side carts, use them in my poker room and still went with cup holders in the rail when I ordered a Chanman table.

Reason is I decided to prohibit drinks at the table for the first year while the table was new. I would've gone to DEFCON 1 if someone accidentally spilled a beer, water, coffee, etc., on my new table. :LOL: :laugh:

After the year is up in August 2021, then I'll allow drinks in the cup holders in the rail. For now, my regs use the side carts for their drinks, while the rail cup holders make for handy-dandy phone holders since the table came with built-in USB ports. Versatility!

P.S. Nice essay, Tony.
What kind of side carts do you have?

*Essay warning*

Drink carts
Cup holders in the rail

If you have the space for drink carts, this is the best solution. Most people are going to drink something, whether it's water, booze, coffee, pop, etc. They need somewhere to put it. If you have no drink carts and no cup holders anywhere near the table, players will end up putting them on the floor, or pulling up an extra chair and the drink gets put somewhere very precarious and most likely going to get spilled. At least though, it won't be on the table.

Drink carts also usually fit underneath the table for storage when not in use. They're also flexible in design, so you can have nesting drink carts, rolling drink carts, folding drink carts, hell you can even hang them from the ceiling if you want. I've had many people who have purchased my drink carts tell me that they love them because they're also very useful around the house. They're great sofa side tables, TV tray dinner tables, or even the office desk for an extra place to put stuff, like drinks away from paperwork and the computer.

If you do not have room for drink carts, then in the rail is the next best option IMO. Where? In front of the player. It doesn't have to be directly in front, but it shouldn't be between players. When you're reaching into the middle of the table to scoop a pot or make a bet, elbows can bump the drink resulting in more spills.

I don't mind having cup holders directly in front of a player, perfectly centered. Although it obstructs your view of your cards, I usually pull my cards over to the side just a little and peel them up to peek at them. I usually stack my chips (when I occasionally have some and haven't donked them all away) directly in front of me anyways, so the chips are usually in the way of peeking at my cards as well.

I prefer cup holders underneath the table over inside the table for one main reason. If you have a cup holder on the playing surface, either in the racetrack or the slide in style, if a drink ever gets bumped, there's a 90% chance it's getting spilled onto the playing surface. If a drink is in the rail and gets bumped, at least there's a 50/50 chance it'll get spilled away from the middle.

It's been mentioned already but with the slide under the rail type, it can leave a gap under the rail where cards can also slide under. This isn't the case 100% of the time, you can have a snug rail pushing down on the table where a slide in cup holder will fit underneath and cards won't slide under unless pitched with quite a bit of force. It's just a tricky balance to get the right amount of pressure and screw/bolt locations. If you have lights or a wood trim raised rail, this is even harder or even impossible depending on how the table is built.

The big downside of the cup holders underneath the table is you lose legroom, depending on what kind of mechanism you have to hold the cup holders. They're also usually more expensive since you have to either build or buy the hardware.

What kind of cup holders? Jumbo. 3.5" inner diameter cup holders work the best. They're deep at 2-1/4" so even a tall beer bottle will only tip so far before it stops because the bottom jams into the opposite side. The dual size are the same depth, so yes a bottle or can that fits in the smaller part is held in place better, but when you have a wider cup it doesn't sit as deep into the cup holder because it doesn't fit into the smaller diameter space at the bottom.

Your miles may vary, everyone has their own preferences, these are just my thoughts and experiences.
I agree.

If you have the space drink carts with cup holders are best, if you don't put them in the rail.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom