Cupholders vs no cupholders (1 Viewer)

jbomb1018

Two Pair
Reaction score
So I am looking at making a 2nd table, my 1st table i put cupholders in the rail only because I have speed cloth and it is water resistant.This next table i am debating on what to do, I want to get a custom felt made and don't want drinks spilled on it if there are cupholders in the rail. So wanted to see what everyone's opinions are with cupholders in the rail?

Thank you for your opinions!

At our card room they do NOT allow any cups or food of any sort on the table. They have little food & drink tables that are on rollers. They are small - maybe 18"× 18" & the top sits maybe 24" high or so. They have 2 cup holders in one side and a small space on the other side for food. They also have bigger tables on wheels that are slightly bigger with no cup holders for more food if you want.

I have played thousands of sessions of poker both with cup holders and without and I prefer STRONGlY no cup holders in the rail. No cup holders = no spills and it is so much easier to play poker without always having to be aware of the beer or whatever. It makes the construction of the rail easier too....

Unlike the racetrack thing, there is much less consensus here - it all depends on your needs and preferences. A lot of people like drink carts, but that doesn’t help you if you don’t have the space. Some people prefer slide in cup holders, which gives you the ability to move them around, while some prefer them in the rail which fixes positions but also gets drinks off the playing surface. There’s also some other really clever integrated table solutions (swing out, magnet in track, etc) if you peruse some of the builds here. Tl;dr - there’s no “one true answer” here.

Aesthetically, I like cupholders.
Functionally, they are supposed to prevent spills (provided you use the correct size of old-fashioned glasses and no bottles).
If your crew are still capable of spilling, then they 're going to spill drinks placed on side carts too; onlly improvement would be that just the floor would suffer; not the table and the game.

I find that no cup holders actually leads to *more* spills on the table because players will inevitably just place their drinks on the table. You have to constantly babysit it. And even if you succeed, then the drinks are left sitting on the floor, get knocked over there, etc. Cup holders are a pretty convenient way to control all of these issues. If your players drink, you probably want them. Another option is to use the removably plastic type with tabs that can slide under the rail, but then your rail has to be able to life up, which can cause cards to slide under it.

they are supposed to prevent spills (provided you use the correct size of old-fashioned glasses and no bottles).
I know it feels like you’re living dangerously when you use a narrow bottle in a jumbo cup holder, but it’s still physically impossible to knock over a bottle that’s in a jumbo cup holder. Try it.

There are a lot of cup holder threads. But if we’re starting a new one, my opinion is in the rail cup holders wins by a smidge. I don’t love that they force you to put your drink in a certain place but if you don’t have room for side tables, it’s the best solution. (And unless you’re side tables have built-in cup holders, you’re just gonna have side spills.) Slide-unders just clog up the playing surface and obscure people’s stacks. And when they’re built into the rail, there’s the added benefit of keeping people spaces evenly when the table is full.

I find that no cup holders actually leads to *more* spills on the table because players will inevitably just place their drinks on the table.......
Well you have to have the space for the drink carts AND you need to train your players & not allow drinks on the table. They learn pretty quick if you actually enforce it.....

I am definitely in the no cupholder camp. I am in favor of side tables if you have the room. My first two tables have swing out cupholders, which I like much more than in-rail cupholders. The only problem with them is that they are at fixed positions. To solve that, I came up with this system which I love so far, but is tough to implement - https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...ers-my-answer-to-the-cup-holder-debate.64594/

Jumbo cup holders in rail for me and it is not even close.
In my experience and subjective opinion they look better and play better with less or no spills.
I do not really like carts unless maybe you are talking about a substantial food event at the table , but for drinks no thanks I will take my jumbos in rail.

Prefer no cupholders. Removable slide-in cupholders gives some flexibility to use or not.

Removable rail system underneath the table edge is the sleekest (and probably most expensive) option. Side carts best option if you have the space.

For those of you who don't like in-rail cupholders, I'm curious what it is that you don't like about them?

For those of you who don't like in-rail cupholders, I'm curious what it is that you don't like about them?
If you have a full table, you are losing a lot of "elbow room" because you constantly are reaching around it to look at cards, push chips, etc. They arent 100% terrible (like race track holders), but I still dont like them. I would prefer to have slide-in holder if you HAVE to have a cup holder at the table. Prefer side tables to anything on the play surface.

I have one table with cupholder in the racetrack and I have one where I use cupholders with bottom "tongue"(?) that slip in under the rail. Everyone drinks at my games and if I were to ban it, there wouldn't be a game. Both have custom felts and it's been spilt countless amount of alcohol on them but you can't tell, they still look almost pristine. I soak up the spills and clean with a wet cloth when it happens (or rather force the person who spilt to do it). They're not water repellant though, so you do get a wet spot on your table for an hour or two, so avoid cards in that area.
Almost all those spills happened when they weren't using cup holders though, but placed it next to the cupholder. :banghead:

If you have a full table, you are losing a lot of "elbow room" because you constantly are reaching around it to look at cards, push chips, etc. They arent 100% terrible (like race track holders), but I still dont like them. I would prefer to have slide-in holder if you HAVE to have a cup holder at the table. Prefer side tables to anything on the play surface.

I agree that rolling drink carts are the optimal solution, but I would assume the vast majority of home games don't have the space for those. Particularly for storing them. Maybe someone could design some folding carts that collapse for easy storage?

For me:
1) I don't like that they are there no matter whether people are drinking or not (very minor issue)
2) I don't like the drinks sitting high at the table level. Adds to clutter and causes people to have to maneuver around them.
3) I don't like that they are in a fixed position.
4) I don't like that there can be only one size of cupholder.

For me:
1) I don't like that they are there no matter whether people are drinking or not (very minor issue)
2) I don't like the drinks sitting high at the table level. Adds to clutter and causes people to have to maneuver around them.
3) I don't like that they are in a fixed position.
4) I don't like that there can be only one size of cupholder.
https://www.texaspokersupply.com/store/dual-size-stainless-steel-cup-holder/

As to where cupholders seat:
In the playing surface / racetrack, they sit at the lowest possible height (their bottom is below surface), but they 're still located in playing area and can trap chips if empty.
As slide-under, sitting ON the playing surface, they 're at their tallest-standing and in the middle of everything; having just the benefit that their position is not fixed.
In the rail, they 're out of the way, standing at intermediate height.

You can't have everything.

Jumbos in the rail, centered directly in front of each player. My opinion is 100% skewed, I wouldn't play much poker if I couldn't drink at the same time.

Jumbos allow drinks of all types. I've had me tables for 14+ years, the only spill I've ever had was someone who dropped a cup of coffee while sitting down (wasn't in the cup holder).

For me, the optimal solution is having drink carts. But that's just not realistic for most home games, I would assume. Nobody wants to store a bunch of carts unless they have a very large, dedicated space for poker. The next best option is jumbo cup holders in the rail. Any other solution is in the way, either of the playing surface or in the way of the players by hanging off the edge.

Ahh, but you can!

1610210392582.png

Unlike the racetrack thing, there is much less consensus here - it all depends on your needs and preferences. A lot of people like drink carts, but that doesn’t help you if you don’t have the space. Some people prefer slide in cup holders, which gives you the ability to move them around, while some prefer them in the rail which fixes positions but also gets drinks off the playing surface. There’s also some other really clever integrated table solutions (swing out, magnet in track, etc) if you peruse some of the builds here. Tl;dr - there’s no “one true answer” here.
Are there plans on the site for slide out?

Yup, well said

I find that no cup holders actually leads to *more* spills on the table because players will inevitably just place their drinks on the table. You have to constantly babysit it. And even if you succeed, then the drinks are left sitting on the floor, get knocked over there, etc. Cup holders are a pretty convenient way to control all of these issues. If your players drink, you probably want them. Another option is to use the removably plastic type with tabs that can slide under the rail, but then your rail has to be able to life up, which can cause cards to slide under it.
I've thought about the slide under cup holders but the thought of cards sliding under was an issue to that I thought of. I thought about drink carts as well but where the table will be is a short fiber carpet with design in it so not so sure if a roller drink carpet will work.

I know it feels like you’re living dangerously when you use a narrow bottle in a jumbo cup holder, but it’s still physically impossible to knock over a bottle that’s in a jumbo cup holder. Try it.

There are a lot of cup holder threads. But if we’re starting a new one, my opinion is in the rail cup holders wins by a smidge. I don’t love that they force you to put your drink in a certain place but if you don’t have room for side tables, it’s the best solution. (And unless you’re side tables have built-in cup holders, you’re just gonna have side spills.) Slide-unders just clog up the playing surface and obscure people’s stacks. And when they’re built into the rail, there’s the added benefit of keeping people spaces evenly when the table is full.
That is one thing I like about the ciphers is it gives sitting spots for everyone.

I have one table with cupholder in the racetrack and I have one where I use cupholders with bottom "tongue"(?) that slip in under the rail. Everyone drinks at my games and if I were to ban it, there wouldn't be a game. Both have custom felts and it's been spilt countless amount of alcohol on them but you can't tell, they still look almost pristine. I soak up the spills and clean with a wet cloth when it happens (or rather force the person who spilt to do it). They're not water repellant though, so you do get a wet spot on your table for an hour or two, so avoid cards in that area.
Almost all those spills happened when they weren't using cup holders though, but placed it next to the cupholder. :banghead:
How do you like the cup holder with that has the tongue compared to in the table?

https://www.texaspokersupply.com/store/dual-size-stainless-steel-cup-holder/

As to where cupholders seat:
In the playing surface / racetrack, they sit at the lowest possible height (their bottom is below surface), but they 're still located in playing area and can trap chips if empty.
As slide-under, sitting ON the playing surface, they 're at their tallest-standing and in the middle of everything; having just the benefit that their position is not fixed.
In the rail, they 're out of the way, standing at intermediate height.

Actually, swing out holders, slide out holders or the solution I post all sit lower than the in surface holders. I would definitely make in rail over in surface or slide unders. I've spent a stupid amount of time obsessed with this issue. Everyone does have their opinion. For me, Worst to best:

Worst:
1) In surface
2) Slide unders
Big gap here...
3) In rail
4) Slide out or swing out
5) Side tables (only if you have room)
6) What I linked to above (hopefully improved by someone)
6a) T_chan's solution https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/removable-cup-holders-what-style.58962/
7) Whatever better removeable, moveable not on the table solution someone comes up with next

I agree that rolling drink carts are the optimal solution, but I would assume the vast majority of home games don't have the space for those. Particularly for storing them. Maybe someone could design some folding carts that collapse for easy storage?
I wonder how those folding eating tables would work that you use for your living room?

For me, the optimal solution is having drink carts. But that's just not realistic for most home games, I would assume. Nobody wants to store a bunch of carts unless they have a very large, dedicated space for poker. The next best option is jumbo cup holders in the rail. Any other solution is in the way, either of the playing surface or in the way of the players by hanging off the edge.
Not a lot space to store (4) drink carts so we use some of them in the upstairs and downstairs living rooms for everyday use as well.

E3CA4274-E799-4693-8232-D5A224402FCA.jpeg
5C19C3BA-405C-44B3-9C03-FB0529D85EDB.jpeg
5BF4C36A-D0B4-4341-A149-05ADBC7B4C81.jpeg

I wonder how those folding eating tables would work that you use for your living room?
They use those at one of the NH cardrooms. Good sized operation with two floors, over 30 tables, and a great kitchen. They work fine enough, but you’ll see them go over from time to time. But they’re used primarily for food - people put their drinks in cup holders.
The only problem with using them for drinks is that it’s pretty easy to knock a drink off one of them with a stray elbow or whatever. Proper side tables have cup holders built in.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom