Crowd Funding For New Poker Chip Factory? (2 Viewers)

grandgnu

A new beginning
Reaction score
UPDATE I've received a PM that someone is actually working on this already for us. I can't reveal much more and I don't have a ton of details anyway, but looks like it is in the works!

I figure there's enough of us in this community that would use the design tool to mockup our custom clay dreams to purchase from Classic Poker Chips, why not pool our resources and make it a reality?

We could use Elance.com or GetACoder.com to find someone who can handle the programming and get a new tool that is updated to support all the new colors, edge spot patterns, etc. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Is there any realistic idea I what the cost would be to make a new chip factory?

Is there any realistic idea I what the cost would be to make a new chip factory?

I have zero idea on that unfortunately. I would guess less than $5,000 and more than $1,000, but perhaps someone here with more knowledge on programming could chime in?

I am so far from a technical guy it isn't funny. But if someone figured out a realistic approach and cost for this I would be willing to contribute. This is definitely something the community needs.

I might have a solution, but it will take a couple of years. My son is in college and he is switching his major from Engineering to computer science. He will be taking his first computer programming classes next semester. So in a couple of years this would be a great senior project for him, I would just need to convince him and his professors why it is such a great project :)

I thought there was some rumblings about CPC designing their own tool. Im not sure the factory survived the CT refresh.

I thought there was some rumblings about CPC designing their own tool. Im not sure the factory survived the CT refresh.

I thought they looked into it but it proved to be daunting from either a technological or cost side. Maybe if David checks into this thread he can offer his 2 cents

it survived - if you hover over the "Pages" tab, it's the first option - but the dimensions are all screwed up now.

in principal i would absolutely be into contributing. certainly the CT chip factory could use some upgrades and updates. but if the funds come from the members, i think we should arrange it so that the rights to the design are held in such a way that it can be hosted by multiple forums. i have no specific reason to believe there will be another mass migration in the near future, but, as we all know, shit happens. i wouldn't want to be in a position where members have contributed toward a tool that for whatever reason is left in the dust.

I don't think this would be that hard actually, it's just finding someone who knows how to do some simple programming. The cherry start would be getting scans of the actual sample chips so the colors are legit and all of the different possibilities for inlays and spot patterns. This way it would more closely align with what is actually available from CPC. I would imagine a designer could do it for a relatively modest amount it's basically layers in photoshop done via a program.

When I was designing my first solid tourney ASM cash set I spent so much time in the chip factory that I felt like I was cheating on my wife.

SANY0721.jpg

SANY0715.jpg

I'll update my OP too, but I've received a PM that someone is actually working on this already for us. I can't reveal much more and I don't have a ton of details anyway, but looks like it is in the works!

Simple may be a bit of an understatement.

When working on my chip patterns, I thought I would mock up the edge-spots in Photoshop. The multiple layers of PS make the process of adding/changing edge-spots fairly simple. The hardest part, and the part that eventually sh1t-canned the whole process was getting a photo of each sample chip in the correct lighting to accurately show the chip's color.

Fluorescent lights too green. Incandescent, too yellow. Sunlight, LED, Halogen, even camera flashes all produced a color that just would not work for something where color reproduction would be absolutely critical, because so many people use the tool for their design and their inlay. By the time I was done, my livingroom was cluttered with different light bulbs and lamps. I went back to the old chip factory and used that combined with PS to complete my custom chips.

I'd contribute.

A couple thoughts to pass on to whomever is working on it gnu:
1. Include a complete selection of CPC, paulson, BCC, and TRK spot patterns and colors, even though some of those companies don't make chips for us anymore.
2. Allow for user editable spot patterns and colors.

These 2 features would get a bigger donation out of me.

Whomever is working on it is aware of this thread. I'm not sure if they will be taking donations for their work or if they're handling that all on their own. But I'm sure when the time is right they will make themselves known :)

I'd contribute.

A couple thoughts to pass on to whomever is working on it gnu:
1. Include a complete selection of CPC, paulson, BCC, and TRK spot patterns and colors, even though some of those companies don't make chips for us anymore.
2. Allow for user editable spot patterns and colors.

These 2 features would get a bigger donation out of me.

Sounds like a guy who goes to a steakhouse, even though he can only order the salad.

Though if CPC made salads, I bet they would come with the best waiters.

Darn, all I can say is that it's still "actively being worked on with new features". I'm not permitted to divulge more than that at this time.

bumpdate? can you say whether it's planned as a proprietary function of a site/business or if it's going to be licensed or permitted to be used for free or what?

bumpdate? can you say whether it's planned as a proprietary function of a site/business or if it's going to be licensed or permitted to be used for free or what?

I was told that the "tool will not belong to any site" and that multiple "parties" would be getting credit for the project. I'm afraid beyond that I have no further information as far as timelines, additional features, etc

I was told that the "tool will not belong to any site" and that multiple "parties" would be getting credit for the project. I'm afraid beyond that I have no further information as far as timelines, additional features, etc

looking forward to it and glad it will be transportable. thanks for the update, gnu.

Really curious on how the final result will turn out on this. So much more flexibility lately on edge spots from CPC

Can't wait to see the new tool. Sounds cool...

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom