Critique and offer suggestions for my 1/4 pie edge spot CPC set (1 Viewer)

JMC9389

Royal Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
I want to make a 1/4 pie edge spot set for my next custom set on the B mold. I have a mock up that I think that I like, but I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts and suggestions to make the chips pop even more. Let me know what you think!

I feel like I'm getting tripped up on the DG pink chip that I want to use as the T5 base. Not sure that red and purple are the way to go here.

B-mold quarter pie mockup.png

Colors and edge spots on my sample:

20200430_194158.jpg

Not sure whether to go with DG Peacock or imperial blue for the T500 chip.

There isn't enough contrast in chips 2, 4, and 5.

Good luck. I wanted a 3 color qp set and i couldn't find anything that i was in love with.

View attachment 450485
I may go that route, it is cheaper to have only two spot colors instead of three. :p

What other colors would you mix in with green, blue, and yellow that wouldn't result in dirty stacks?

pop? or muted similar to mine?

Inlay design matters?

@Psypher1000
Looking for "pop" I suppose.
Have a boat/canoe theme in mind if it matters.

Edit: Thinking of color matched inlays depending on what final design looks like.

Love that set. Not sure how easy it will be to pull off with the CPC colour palette.
Yeah, I'm finding that out the hard way :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I like my second mock up above much, much better. Looks a lot cleaner and less busy than the first.

For #5, try "Red" w "DG Tiger"
I see what you're saying. The DG orange edgespot on the 1k and the Butterscotch edge spot on the 5k clash too much. I changed the butterscotch on the 5k to a "Yellow" edge spot and actually like how it looks.

Love the look. Reminds me of -- yes -- @JMC9389 beat me to it -- the Riverboats! One of my favorite sets. Years ago, I almost bought that set many different times, when they were for sale in the classifieds here a few times.

I feel like I'm getting tripped up on the DG pink chip that I want to use as the T5 base. Not sure that red and purple are the way to go here.
Do you have the Retro Lavender color sample, I think that color is a little more red than Lavender or Purple.

There isn't enough contrast in chips 2, 4, and 5.
Maybe replace Light Green with Green for chip #2.

@AWenger really angry, man?
What would you do to me for having written what I did, if heads-up, live?:)
Can anybody replicate the Riverboats?
(They could just carbon-copy them, with permission, I guess).

Part 2:

Changed T500 to Blurple. Think that will contrast enough going with a lighter charcoal for T100 rather than the traditional black. Red chip enlarged is a bounty chip. T25000 was changed from imperial blue to DG Peacock.

B mold dual color 2.png

Thoughts? T5, T25, T100, T1000, are the same. Changed T5000 to Canary base with Yellow edge spots.

View attachment 450515If you are going to go 3 colors looks to this set that pulled it off so well. CPC colors makes it hard, but it can be done.
I can come up with concepts well enough, but I can't design for shit. Good thing I'm in medicine and not graphic design :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I could never dream up the stuff some of you put to a chip. It's art.

@AWenger really angry, man?
No, not really angry. But totally disagree with your comment that all quarter pies "MUST" be 2 colors, though. The 3-color idea looks great (although it would add cost to the set, as OP mentioned.) There's no dislike button, maybe should have used the "sad" instead of "angry." I didn't mean to offend by clicking the "angry" button.

you need to have an inlay to get a true feel for how it will look though. Unless he is ordering blanks that is.
Think I'm going to color match the inlays, FWIW

It's too late now and past my bedtime, but if I'm going with a riverboat/canoe theme, would it make sense to have the base colors be a little muted? Go crazy with the DG spots and have two different ones so they contrast? I'll do a mockup tomorrow.

pop? or muted similar to mine?

Inlay design matters?

@Psypher1000
Hi there, @JMC9389.

In general I'm going to decline providing input into a design who's general concept I am strongly biased against - it is well known that I feel tri-colored quarter-pies are a leading cause of disease in this country, so my input probably isn't something you want. If you decide to go bi-colored...well, I *might* have a bit of experience with those and am happy to lend a hand however I can.

I will echo Bill's comments re: inlay, however - inlay design absolutely matters. I strongly recommend doing your design work with a placeholder inlay as that will help inform your final color decisions. Simply put, trying to decide on colors without the context of an inlay - even if just an approximation - is a mistake.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom