Creative Pickup Game (1 Viewer)

redeagle

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
Let’s say you visited some non-chipper friends and they wanted to play a small pick up poker game because other plans got canceled. All we can find in the house are some non-denominated chips in two colors. Nobody wants to play limit.

I am thinking a small STT for 5 or 6 people. Stacks of 80-100 BB to avoid too many chips at the end.

What denominations would you assign to the two colors and what stack sizes to start?

I was thinking $25 and $100. Start 20/20 which gives T2500. I figure five or six people could work OK before lack of a $500 chip is an issue. This would have about 150 chips in play at the end.

Ideas for a more efficient denomination or structure to do this?

Playing cash - the chips are blind sizes and workhorse chips. Cash money for big bets. < yes I know someone will need to keep an eye on the cash >

Playing $0.25/$0.50 this means twenty five cent chips and dollar chips. Fives and/or tens for bigger bets. Even Twenties.

Playing $1/$2 this means dollar chips and five dollar chips. Big bets are twenties, hundreds.

DrStrange

Thanks. I figure everybody would be ok with a $20 to $40 buy in. Concept is to replace going to a sports bar with staying in to play poker and ordering dinner delivered. That makes the .25/.50 stakes sound good and we can stop and cash out whenever vs a tourney.

is it really possible to play poker with less than 1000 chips in six denominations

this could shake PCF to the very core

You're absolutely right. I retract my revolutionary, anarchistic idea and apologize profusely.

I will immediately go to the classified section and purchase a new 800-chip set, carry case and table topper. Never again will I visit friends without being able to rip out a full 2-table tourney setup.

to avoid too many chips at the end.

Why? do your guys not know hot to handle chip stacks? Have the fun for me is having plenty of workhorse chips on the table.

You're absolutely right. I retract my revolutionary, anarchistic idea and apologize profusely.

I will immediately go to the classified section and purchase a new 800-chip set, carry case and table topper. Never again will I visit friends without being able to rip out a full 2-table tourney setup.

Sarcastic? or being a dick? After all, this is a "pokerchipforum". Hell, we like what we like.

Sarcastic? or being a dick?

Niether. Just a bit of tongue in cheek humor. As was his “shake PCF to the core” comment.

I’ve been here 30 days. Hmmm. Let me see. Sample sets, check. First clay chip set, check. Table topper, check. Apache carry case, check.

Don’t get your motor city panties in a twist.

is it really possible to play poker with less than 1000 chips in six denominations

FWIW, playing with 1000 chips or moar, good! Playing with six denominations, bad, imo.

Cash games function best with two denoms in play imo, a blind chip and a workhorse. (So I love the premise of the original post.) Three at the most if you have a stake where two workhorses are useful (ones and fives often fit this) Four if you really need a value store ship, but I just think of value store chips at full barrels that would have just made for bigger, better looking stacks instead. ;).

So in truth, with only two chip colors you can play and just use cash for the purpose of the "value store" chip. I do think it's best to limit denominations when using cash, ideally just one denomination allowed when using cash to just limit confusion. My house rules do have a provision to allow hundreds to play in stakes with a BB of 1 or higher and twenties to play where the BB is less than 1.

FWIW, playing with 1000 chips or moar, good! Playing with six denominations, bad, imo.

Cash games function best with two denoms in play imo, a blind chip and a workhorse. (So I love the premise of the original post.) Three at the most if you have a stake where two workhorses are useful (ones and fives often fit this) Four if you really need a value store ship, but I just think of value store chips at full barrels that would have just made for bigger, better looking stacks instead. ;).

So in truth, with only two chip colors you can play and just use cash for the purpose of the "value store" chip. I do think it's best to limit denominations when using cash, ideally just one denomination allowed when using cash to just limit confusion. My house rules do have a provision to allow hundreds to play in stakes with a BB of 1 or higher and twenties to play where the BB is less than 1.

We play a deep .25/.50 game. So 3 demons work for us, I guess we could move to 1/1, but the game can slow down at times.

I will immediately go to the classified section and purchase a new 800-chip set, carry case and table topper. Never again will I visit friends without being able to rip out a full table cash setup.
Fixed your post, and this is exactly what I have in my car all the time:D

A very budget friendly mixed Chipco ceramics set, PCF topper with a set up of cards, dealer button, and a couple cut cards.

Let’s say you visited some non-chipper friends and they wanted to play a small pick up poker game because other plans got canceled. All we can find in the house are some non-denominated chips in two colors. Nobody wants to play limit.

I am thinking a small STT for 5 or 6 people. Stacks of 80-100 BB to avoid too many chips at the end.

What denominations would you assign to the two colors and what stack sizes to start?

I was thinking $25 and $100. Start 20/20 which gives T2500. I figure five or six people could work OK before lack of a $500 chip is an issue. This would have about 150 chips in play at the end.

Ideas for a more efficient denomination or structure to do this?
You can recycle colors. Start each color at one denom. And then during a color up or break switch it to a higher denom. May be confusing foran orbit or two. But it works.v I've done it many times

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom