Crazy phone call from the police (1 Viewer)

mike32

Full House
Supporter
Reaction score
So I just had a Romulus MI police officer call me and say “you know why I’m calling you, don’t you!”
I said ummm no.
He replied you hit a school bus this morning, causing significant damage. And you left the scene of the accident. Then he asked me what kind of vehicle I drive and I said a Ford Flex. He said yep it’s you and you are in some trouble. He claimed to have camera evidence and witnesses who got my plate number.
I thought about my drive in to work and said I bet this was east bound Van Born at Howe. I was stopped at a light behind a school bus on a 4 lane road in the far right lane. The light turned green and we didn’t move so I sat there for a moment and let all the traffic clear. When the bus did not move I simply went around it and I saw the bus put on it’s hazard lights in my rear view (definitely not the children load unload lights) and continued on my way. I told the officer I was never within 8 feet of the bus and please come down and look at my car immediately, I am 15 minutes away max. He changed his tune and said he’d get back with me soon.
The whole thing was pretty upsetting for me and I’m waiting to hear back or I want to drive down there to show them my car. After we hung up I immediately went outside and took these.
F52AA77F-A950-4482-B705-19F18A451341.jpeg
CF6BEC08-79AC-4D28-9DEB-A6DA63402922.jpeg

Sorry you had to go through that. Should have told them you catch more bees with honey! :D I’m sure it’ll turn out fine but hope its an easy process for you!

So, best advice I can give ya, if ya did nothing wrong and your vehicle has no damage, don't get too upset or worked up. Investigations take turns, but it sounds like he tried to play hard ball when he wasn't ready for it. Stay cool, and know that if you don't have any active damage on your vehicle, they dont have a huge leg to stand on.

If you want, go to a body shop and have them to a write up and check for damage. A signed and dated review of your vehicle would back up the pics nicely.

Don't worry about it Mike. No damage to your vehicle means that you didn't hit the bus. If he hasn't called you back already then I'm sure they figured it out already.

Sorry that he started with the asshole approach. That probably is the only tool in his toolbox.

Can't stress the benefit of a dash camera specifically for events like this. Bought it after someone turned into my lane at a stop light and then told their insurance company I had him them while their car was parked on the side of the street :LOL: :laugh:. They usually cost under $50 and it makes so much sense if it can save you hundreds, thousands, or even tens of thousands in damages. Plus knowing I had video proof I probably would have gotten to have some fun on the phone :D.

Here's one that seems to have good reviews:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SNDF84...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Unbelievable. My first thought when I began reading this was scam also. Don’t let it upset you. You did nothing wrong!

Maybe the person who hit the bus saw your car there and turned you in....the old switch aroo!!! And obviously they don't have video evidence either!! Your pictures should be sufficient to clear your name.

BTW - I see that Dependable Wholesale was at your place this morning. I love those guys!! They do great work!!

Saul would tell you "never talk to the police".

Bothersome tactics, for sure.

Better call Saul...

Call Romulus PD. Ask to speak to the OIC (Officer in Charge). I'd bet you dollars to donuts there is no ongoing investigation... Sounds like a shakedown to me...
"I want to talk to somebody in command, I don't even have a f*&^ing computer!"
Or should I do my Malik McDowell "I want to talk to a supervisor" approximately 52 times.

Call them back, have an officer come out and take a report on the likely scam phone call. If the first was legitimate this will line up and you'll have an officer of that department as a witness (soon after the initial call was made) to the fact your car is undamaged.

Good luck to you

Last edited:
"I want to talk to somebody in command, I don't even have a f*&^ing computer!"
Or should I do my Malik McDowell "I want to talk to a supervisor" approximately 52 times.

Yes. All of that.

If you want me to call, LMK. But right now, I'm on lunch break from fucking jury duty... I'll be putting my phone back in my car in about 10 minutes....

Just had a pretty good bunless burger at the Elwood, watching Tigers Replay on TV... across from an empty Comerica Park.

Maybe the person who hit the bus saw your car there and turned you in....the old switch aroo!!! And obviously they don't have video evidence either!! Your pictures should be sufficient to clear your name.

BTW - I see that Dependable Wholesale was at your place this morning. I love those guys!! They do great work!!
Actually I don't think anyone was behind me in the right lane and when traffic cleared in the left lane there wasn't anyone there for a long way back. It was totally clear for a long way behind me. That is what adds to the mystery for me.

Another hilarious but true thing - Ironically Ben rides to school every day with the daughter of the Romulus officer who is listed on the website as in charge of the traffic department! This is not the officer who called me.

Call them back, have an officer come out and take a report on the likely scam phone call. If the first was legitimate this will line up and you'll have an officer of that department as a witness (soon after the initial call was made) to the fact your car is undamaged.

Good luck to you
The officer I spoke to definitely changed his tune toward the end of the call. When I suggested I would drive down there he said he didn't want to make me miss work and he would call me back soon. My caller id on my I phone said the Romulus PD number fwiw.....

Most likely is that someone hit the bus, and “witnesses” from the bus or the bus driver didn’t see it, got confused, and guessed it was your vehicle. Then noted the license plate down.

I just Googled the Romulus, MI PD and holy shit what an interesting and nefarious history. Apparently I fell into the trap of projecting my experiences with respectable PDs onto them.

Disregard my earlier comment and take Wedge up on his offer :tup:

My wife Wendy came up with a good theory.....they have cameras on the buses so they can see when someone drives past when they have their signals on so they can send you a ticket for passing a school bus with its lights on....someone hits the bus this morning and leaves the scene....the police can't tell which vehicle that drives past the bus after the accident has front end damage....so they start shaking down all the vehicles that drive past the bus from the video...they weed out the few innocent sounding folks until they find their perp!! Bam....case closed!! Make a episode of CSI or Hawaii 50 out of it!!

This has scam written all over it. Or a police shakedown (but probably not)

I just Googled the Romulus, MI PD and holy shit what an interesting and nefarious history. Apparently I fell into the trap of projecting my experiences with respectable PDs onto them.

Disregard my earlier comment and take Wedge up on his offer :tup:
Wow, that’s some messed up stuff!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom