CPC Mold Samples Wanted - Borrow or Rent (Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley or CONUS/Canada) (1 Viewer)

LotsOfChips

Flush
Reaction score
Hi all,

Well that was fast. I started on this site two months ago thinking about getting a cheap (slugged) denominated set. I quickly realized that plastic wasn't what I wanted, but thought a China Clay tournament/cash game set (Majestic) would be a relatively inexpensive alternative. Once I got samples of the CCs, I was underwhelmed, especially after playing several games with real clay chips (Dear Empress Star and Sunset Beach - I lust after you, but I'm not in your league). Next idea was to build two sets of cheap(ish) used Paulsons (Tourney and Cash Game sets), but the cost and hassle of trying to find matching chips to relabel as fracs as well as building or completing sets one barrel or one rack at a time was more than my newby brain could handle.

So now I'm seriously considering a custom CPC set (well two actually, cash set to start, tournament set to follow). The time needed to fully develop and reflect on design choices will also allow me to build up a bit of cash after some unexpected car repair bills.

I was thinking to use 1" or 1 1/16" inlays for larger design area, which limits the choices to :
  • A Mold (seems nice enough from the pictures)
  • S-Crown (more pricey, but many people seem to love this one)
  • Hourglass (not my favorite looking mold, but until I handle them I'm keeping an open mind)
  • FDL (I have heard that this is the only mold that has a shiny inlay after stamping)
I would also like to see what the 7/8" inlays look like, which could open up a few other chips as options:
  • CSQ
  • Jockey
  • HHR
  • H Mold
After scouring several forums I have learned that different people really prefer different molds for look and feel, and that each mold has different inlay textures from the stamping process. I don't want to order or buy a sample kit with only one of each mold, as that won't really give me a good idea of what a stack feels like, or how the inlays are textured with each type of mold.

So now I am asking any PCFers in the Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley if they might have shuffle stacks of the above listed CPC molds (say around 10 of each mold) that I might take a look at for a day or two. I will happily provide a deposit so that you know you are getting them back, and I can pick up and return them personally to eliminate shipping hassles and prevent shipping damage. If necessary and if I could get one sample set that contains all of the above molds, I would consider a reasonable rental charge to compensate for any hassles.

Note that I'm not necessarily looking for color samples yet, more I am trying to settle in on mold design, and want to look, feel and play with the various molds before setting out on the color selection stage of the journey. I also want to see the different inlay textures on each mold to see what will work best for the planned inlay design, so I would prefer inlaid samples rather than hot stamped or blank (but I'll gladly take whatever I can get).

If there are no local options available, I have seen that @kk405 was trying to build a traveling sample set. Or perhaps one or more members in the CONUS or the rest of Canada have such a set. I have access to a US mail address (Sumas WA) as well as a Canadian address (Chilliwack BC), and I would be happy to pay shipping in both directions.

Also any advice about the relative merits/drawbacks of the different molds would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I was thinking to use 1" or 1 1/16" inlays for larger design area, which limits the choices to :
  • A Mold (seems nice enough from the pictures)
  • S-Crown (more pricey, but many people seem to love this one)
  • Hourglass (not my favorite looking mold, but until I handle them I'm keeping an open mind)
  • FDL (I have heard that this is the only mold that has a shiny inlay after stamping)
Not quite... larger inlays can be used for most 39 mm moulds but they aren't recommended.

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/burning-benjamins.12660/

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...-with-pr0n-of-over-200-sets.13031/post-216033

I used a 1" inlay on the Jockey mould and I'm quite happy with the results:

20171009_124943.jpg

If you're ever around in the North Burnaby area, I can let you borrow some CRSQ, DISQ, and maybe Hmold, but they are vintage ASMs not modern CPCs.
Thanks for the offer! Would they look, feel and handle any different than the CPC chips? I want to make sure that I am making decisions based on current information.

BTW, are you planning to be at the next Poco Runner Runner tournament? I've seen lots of your posts, and would love to meet up with you in person!

Yes, I will be at Tony's game on the 8th. I can bring a selection of these ASM chips. I cannot guarantee that they will feel exactly the same as modern CPC, but they are made on the same equipment. And there are different colours offered today that were not available decades ago.

I'll need to check on molds, but I have 2 full colour sample sets (s-crown and A-mold), and then different examples of molds (extras that weren't included in the museum exhibit).

You can borrow these, but I can't make Tony's next game and am away for work most of October. If you can make it out to Langley sometime before Oct 4th I can give them to you. Maybe an excuse to come out to my game this Friday? :p

Thanks for the offer! Would they look, feel and handle any different than the CPC chips? I want to make sure that I am making decisions based on current information.

BTW, are you planning to be at the next Poco Runner Runner tournament? I've seen lots of your posts, and would love to meet up with you in person!
I have a barrel of the vintage ASM chips. I got them from @allforcharity. He was kind enough to gift them to me. Remember that red barrel Berny? Is it the same kind of thing?

**PS...shall I bring your coin holder? It belongs to you and I still have it. Let me know..I'll be at Tony's game on the 8th also.

@LotsOfChips ,Since I own new Rounders chips...I have had the chance to play with them both...and they are very different. The thicknesses are of course different but so is the sound...weight (feels like anyway) and even the way they bounce off my table...not better or worse...just different.

Just my .02 as I have hands on experience with both.

If you’re not ordering until 2020, I could help out.
I should be back in BC for the christmas break.

I have sets on:
A
B
H
Diamond square
Hourglass
Elephant and crown
Horse head right
Roman
Scroll
44mm A
44mm Scroll

I don’t have jockey, circle square (samples only), large or small crown.

Mike

I have a barrel of the vintage ASM chips. I got them from @allforcharity. He was kind enough to gift them to me. Remember that red barrel Berny? Is it the same kind of thing?

**PS...shall I bring your coin holder? It belongs to you and I still have it. Let me know..I'll be at Tony's game on the 8th also.

Yes, those are old ASMs. Yes, you can bring the coin holder.

I'll dig around for a couple of 10-stacks of a few different molds.

Thanks for all the recent posts. I’m on the road today (last day of a two day wine tour), and will try to reply to individual posts by tomorrow.

Cheers

Thanks for the heads up @OlNoiShi. I managed to borrow some single mold samples from grantc54, along with scrown and A mold color sample sets, so I won't be needing @Bobb59's set. The single mold samples are good for seeing what each mold looks like, but the stacks of color samples really let me see the difference between the feel and stackability of the two different molds. Hopefully I will be able to track down actual stacks (1/2 barrels) of the other molds as well.

If you’re not ordering until 2020, I could help out.
I should be back in BC for the christmas break.

I have sets on:
A
B
H
Diamond square
Hourglass
Elephant and crown
Horse head right
Roman
Scroll
44mm A
44mm Scroll

I don’t have jockey, circle square (samples only), large or small crown.

Mike

Wow, thanks so much. That is exactly what I was hoping to find. Where in BC will you be located? Please let me know when you are back in beautiful British Columbia, and hopefully we can meet up.

As mentioned above, I have borrowed @grantc54 's A and s-crown color samples, and can't believe the difference in texture and feel between them. The colors are hugely different as well (maybe because the A molds are a bit older), with the s-crowns being very shiny and a bit slippery, while the A molds are much more dull and quite grippy. I'm looking forward to being able to compare several other molds when you are back in Canada.

As mentioned above, I have borrowed @grantc54 's A and s-crown color samples, and can't believe the difference in texture and feel between them. The colors are hugely different as well (maybe because the A molds are a bit older), with the s-crowns being very shiny and a bit slippery, while the A molds are much more dull and quite grippy. I'm looking forward to being able to compare several other molds when you are back in Canada.

The A molds are a fair bit older and the older colours. Some are the same but the dayglo are much improved now. Colours will be consistent across molds.

I'll need to check on molds, but I have 2 full colour sample sets (s-crown and A-mold), and then different examples of molds (extras that weren't included in the museum exhibit).

You can borrow these, but I can't make Tony's next game and am away for work most of October. If you can make it out to Langley sometime before Oct 4th I can give them to you. Maybe an excuse to come out to my game this Friday? :p

Grant, thanks again more than I can say for the loan of your color samples. They are hugely helpful for comparing stacks of the two different molds, and for selecting chip colors that complement my table felt. Already I have changed 5 or 6 denomination base colors because the chip colors I had originally selected got lost in the table felt or were difficult to distinguish from other base colors in low light. Some of the colors don't even come close to what shows on the chip selector tool!

BTW, I notice that the s-crowns are so much shinier and the colors are so much more vibrant than the A mold colors. Have you oiled the s-crown set, or is that a result of the different molds, or is it because the s-crown set is newer and the colors have changed in the last few years?

Once again, Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

Ooops, I see that you answered the question while I was typing...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom