CPC Edge Spots (1 Viewer)

Nex

Flush
Reaction score
I find the edge spot selection CPC offers a bit lacking in some places, e.g. they offer a 3TA316 but not 4TA316. Also really missing something like Paulson's 4TSA### spots.

Anyone know if CPC can't/won't do those at all, or is this something you could possibly get on request?

If it's not listed, it's not available. Don't have the necessary dies.

I was always in the mind the spots are hand carved? I know nothing about the actual process but I always imagined it like you have some sort of "scratching tool" the width of the spots. Apparently not then...

I was always in the mind the spots are hand carved?
Carved? No. Punched out. Each spot size/pattern requires a metal punch which cuts/pushes/"punches" the unwanted clay out. The spots are then placed into the resulting gap. Some spot patterns require multiple punches & those that do are higher level because they literally take more work to create.

Okay so... by this explanation... the 4TSA### isn't possible due to no 5/8" (3x 1/8" spot + 2x 1/8" space) punch metals in their possession. I get that.
But what about a 4TA316? They obviously have a 9/16" punch metal else they couldn't do the 1x and 3x variants. Should be possible to punch four holes in the chip instead of just three, no?

Okay so... by this explanation... the 4TSA### isn't possible due to no 5/8" (3x 1/8" spot + 2x 1/8" space) punch metals in their possession. I get that.
But what about a 4TA316? They obviously have a 9/16" punch metal else they couldn't do the 1x and 3x variants. Should be possible to punch four holes in the chip instead of just three, no?
Why don't you e-mail them and ask? They are quick to respond, and will have the answers you need.

That's what I'll do when I get no answer here.
Don't want to bug them until necessary. Besides, could serve as good documentation for other people asking the same.
TBH most of the past "custom" edgespots have been decided on the back-end and aren't discussed on the board until the pictures of the finished product are out. Anything not listed on their price page would have an associated extra cost if possible, and we wouldn't really discuss that on here either.

That's what I'll do when I get no answer here.
Don't want to bug them until necessary. Besides, could serve as good documentation for other people asking the same.

There's a reason you don't see some of the spot patterns you want: CPC either a) can't do it with their current setup or b) isn't interested in dumping money into the equipment necessary to make them.

edit: i suppose there's always c) they can do them but they're damn hard, take a lot of time, have a lot of rejects, and aren't worth the headaches no matter how much the customer is willing to pay.

edit: i suppose there's always c) they can do them but they're damn hard, take a lot of time, have a lot of rejects, and aren't worth the headaches no matter how much the customer is willing to pay.
This. @David Spragg was explaining this to some of us at the Meet in The Suite a couple weeks ago. Even some of the more complex available spots have such a high reject rate that it's cost prohibitive to do them over XX quantity of chips. The CPC clay also does not respond as well to bonding dissimilar colors which would cause really fragile/unstable edge spots like 8Vs, Tri moons, etc, it's less "sticky" to itself than say Paulson's clay material, something to do with the heat and compression.

With a 3X punch you can do 1X and 3X, but 2X would not be symmetrical. You can do 2X or 4X variants with a 4X punch or a 2X punch (used twice). It is possible they could have a 1X hand punch which they could use 4 times, but your best bet would be to ask David directly.

As others have mentioned, best to email them directly to get an answer, response is pretty quick, i asked about 6TA316 a few days ago and got a response within the hour saying it was not possible.

With a 3X punch you can do 1X and 3X, but 2X would not be symmetrical. You can do 2X or 4X variants with a 4X punch or a 2X punch (used twice). It is possible they could have a 1X hand punch which they could use 4 times, but your best bet would be to ask David directly.
Safe to assume all they have is a 3x since that's all they offer. Not sure why they couldn't do a 1x by just filling in the other spaces with base colored edge spots... maybe there's an issue bonding same color to itself? Don't understand why that would be the case.

Guess 4T18 might be possible at least. They have 4DS18 and 418 as well.

But yeah, I'll contact them about both possible variants. I really need a 4TA### for my set... might have painted myself in a corner there, but the other chips just look way too good to redo edge spot progression and some colors. Have tried everything else already and anything I picked looks like anything between meh and dogshit when viewed next to the other denoms.

Keep in mind, they are working with clay here. Each punch removes clay from the base, making subsequent punches more difficult as the base tries to rip apart as more clay is removed. That undoubtedly is why Krony's 6TA316 was rejected, as were a number of my requests. Once I understood the reasoning, I was able to come up with a custom edgespot that was possible, and only ran $3.16 per chip!

Custom edgespots get pricey folks.

As others have mentioned, best to email them directly to get an answer, response is pretty quick, i asked about 6TA316 a few days ago and got a response within the hour saying it was not possible.
Pretty sure I asked the same question to him awhile back. It's almost certainly due to remaining real estate after the first punch... too fragile to handle another big punch.

Pretty sure I asked the same question to him awhile back. It's almost certainly due to remaining real estate after the first punch... too fragile to handle another big punch.

Yea i guessed that also, not much meat left, obviously possible with doubling up with the 3TA316 punch but he did say physically impossible so this must be the reason, shame as i quite like the rough up mockup i did.

gDgPBI.png

Keep in mind, they are working with clay here. Each punch removes clay from the base, making subsequent punches more difficult as the base tries to rip apart as more clay is removed. That undoubtedly is why Krony's 6TA316 was rejected, as were a number of my requests. Once I understood the reasoning, I was able to come up with a custom edgespot that was possible, and only ran $3.16 per chip!

Custom edgespots get pricey folks.

Price is not an issue unless it goes well beyond, say, $5 per chip. I already have a higher denom in my lineup that will cost just under $5 per chip. This is for one of the higher denoms so I don't need that many relative to the total planned chip count (will still be a low 3 figure number though). If I can get it made like this, it's worth it to me. I rather drop another chunk of money than either throwing over everything I have so far or ending up with a chip I don't like.

I can understand the material tearing/fragility issues with a 6TA316. The base color parts between the edge spot blocks would get very thin. But hey, 4TA316? Even a 4DSA14 is a bit broader in total. And a 4TA18 leaves even more base color material. The only potential issues I could imagine are still possible would be bonding.

4ta316-100-mock-mystery.png
4ta18-100-mock-mystery.png

Color combo really looks crappy in the chip designer. My stacked up color samples look way better.

Last edited:
Bonding would be an issue too. At the Meet in the Suite, David mentioned that some designs simply did not hold up to being tossed, dropped, etc - basically treated like poker chips. He simply does not want to put out a product that could fall apart under "normal" use.

Some designs (like Ronoh's Pillage and plunder 50¢) are more fragile than other chips. @Ben made a bunch of similar chips, and I don't think I've ever seen a higher mortality rate of chips in the sample shipping - and Ben has shipped many samples before. Different colors simply don't bond together as well as a solid color.

Safe to assume all they have is a 3x since that's all they offer. Not sure why they couldn't do a 1x by just filling in the other spaces with base colored edge spots... maybe there's an issue bonding same color to itself? Don't understand why that would be the case.

I am pretty sure they can do that. I know there are some 1TA316 Flamingo spots that have been done.

I don't think the 4TA316 is possible because they only have the Three Punch.

I can understand the material tearing/fragility issues with a 6TA316. The base color parts between the edge spot blocks would get very thin. But hey, 4TA316?
They only have a 3x punch for the TA316.
Even a 4DSA14 is a bit broader in total.
They don't have a DSA14 punch at all.
And a 4TA18
They don't have a TA18 punch at all.

They only have a 3x punch for the TA316.
I was referring to the hypothetical/mockup one that Krony posted.

They don't have a DSA14 punch at all.
The one I mean is labelled 4D14 in the design tool. The S shouldn't have been in there. All those codes are quite confusing and easy to make mistakes typing.

They don't have a TA18 punch at all.
I mistyped, I meant the 4A18.

I was referring to the hypothetical/mockup one that Krony posted.

The one I mean is labelled 4D14 in the design tool. The S shouldn't have been in there. All those codes are quite confusing and easy to make mistakes typing.

I mistyped, I meant the 4A18.
I thought you were asking why some things couldn't be done in your previous post? 4TA316 is not possible because the only punch they have is the 3TA316... can't get holes at 3/6/9/12 o'clock when the only punch you have chops out 4/8/12. My bad if I mistook what you were saying.

Not sure, but I hear it's fragile :)
So fragile they must have turned to dust in shipping. Damnit, I wanted to see them!! :D

Does explain the chalky white stuff all over the rest of them :)

pnpcashfinalfnb-png.33373

You have a whole bunch of them (according to this mock-up). Not my fault I havn't played on them...
Two of them don't even have the right colors and two others have incorrect spot orientations... I'm so embarrassed :)

He always sent me latest mockups on that .50 even though I changed it to a quarter early on :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom