CPC DG colors getting brighter? (1 Viewer)

RowdyRawhide

Full House
Reaction score
has anyone noticed the DG colors coming out of CPC for the last year or so are much brighter. I have an inlaid sample set from about 2 yrs ago and unmarked samples from about 3 yrs ago and the DG colors in custom samples I'm getting are much brighter. Most noticeable is the DG pink. The newest version makes my 2 yr old sample of DG pink look like regular pink. I've even noticed a change for brighter and better DG Tiger. I also think DG green and yellow are brighter as well.

Has anyone else noticed this

Reactions: 72o
I noticed a large difference between old and new DG Pink. It's much brighter now and I don't mind the difference in the tournament set when I added on.

I think maybe DG yelloiw is more bright as we missed the color matching on it a bit last run.

I recently notice the same thing. If you are trying to match an existing set it is a bummer but otherwise they look better.

There's definitely a big difference between the older DG colors and the new ones. The two I thought were most obvious were DG green and DG pink:

2016_11_20_IMG_3097.JPG
2016_11_20_IMG_3099.JPG
20160730_184158.jpg

Note that I think the colors have been pretty steady for a couple of years, but if you're comparing from samples from ~2015 or earlier, I did notice the difference. There was also a difference from when the original DG tiger came out in late 2015 to within the past 18 months or so, the latest DG tiger is really vibrant, much closer to Paulson blaze orange:

early 2015 samples compared to recent DG tiger (DG arc yellow / DG peach / DG tiger / recent DG tiger / DG orange / orange comparison)
2016_07_23_IMG_2693.JPG

I noticed it too. For the ones that are a night and day difference, it's probably better to make it a new color (especially for re-orders), unless they can't get the ingredients to make the other color anymore. I asked David about this before and IIRC, was just a new formula.

Watching with interest!

With the intention to keep my render colors close to the actual state of manufactured chips, this could be a reason to reevaluate.
My sample set came to me in Nov. 2016, wasn't oiled (I always consider the faces), rarely handled and stored in the dark when not in use. Over the last year I was lucky enough to receive a couple of samples of sets from recent production runs to compare.

Indeed I found some of the dayglos a little bit brighter but nowhere near as apparent as in the pics shown above. From my observations there's just a hint of deviation - though always to the lighter side of the color. Not enough to consider adjusting my colors. I'm aware of a major change of the DG Green to a brighter color caused by discontinuation of the formerly used pigment - and the chip tool still doesn't reflect that change. Other than that I would categorize my observations as batch variance. Interestingly the variance always steered to the brighter side of the color, never to a darker shade.

To somewhat quantify my findings I'd like to refer to the picture below and I'd specify the magnitude of variance similar to the rightmost stack of the greens - pretty neglible imho. Keep in mind that all of my findings are from a pretty narrow and recent production period.

Last edited:
DG Arc Yellow
Sample set from late 2015. Customs from late 2016.

IMG_2365.JPG

i have noticed this with my set of ASM Club Cleopatra's (Trinidad). the color differences between old and new formulas doesn't really bother me after acouple of beers all the colors look great.

Since it is a manual process of mixing the clays/dye, yes there is variations in colors especially the brighter colors over time. It the double edge sword of having a hand made/crafted chip. On one hand they are individual works of art carefully produced by craftsman. the same reason means that each batch is just a little different and that can't be helped because of the process. The products used to make the mixture change over time due to suppy issues, ingredients, etc....

It just comes down to you tolerance/OCD about the differences. For myself since I'm bothered by the shading variance I just learn to keep the different production runs separated so it doesn't bother me. Some people as stated before don't find the variance that much of an issue. Comes down to your personal preference.

Dayglo CPC colors changes since ASM due to material import restrictions.

I've noticed that the DG Arc Yellow and DG Pink that I picked as base color for 2 chips of my recently acquired CPC set are bright. More than the color sample I used to choose the colors.

It was a great surprise !

Same goes with a DG Orange I used as a spot. For DG Yellow, it was not obvious though.

Pic of my chips drying after being oiled.

IMG_20220613_142402~2.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom