CPC dayglo question (2 Viewers)

12thMan

Full House
Reaction score
CPC says they recommend dayglo colors for spots, but if they are used for a base there is a .10/chip premium. I understand the premium for bright white because of the difficulty and waste that go with getting clean bright white, but once you pay the premium it doesn't matter if it's the base or spot, its the same price. So what is it about dayglo that not only carries a premium for using it as a base, but also a suggestion that it's not the best for a base color?

I imagine it's the same - albeit less noticeable/less difficult to work with - contamination issue as Bright White.

Email David for the full low down?

If I recall correctly it's been discussed before and when used as a base with edge spots there can be a tendency for the spots to miss shapen. I think due to dayglo being a softer clay maybe?? Also softer clay being tricker to press as different heats are needed for them.

Or I may be remembering incorrectly and talking out my ass.

I think it's the opposite, dg colours do not contain brass (which is why the chips are lighter) and also firmer , which cause softer materials to squeeze out/split in spots.

Mike

Lol I'm serious. I really can't remember and I've spent ages looking for where I've read it :)

If I recall correctly it's been discussed before and when used as a base with edge spots there can be a tendency for the spots to miss shapen. I think due to dayglo being a softer clay maybe?? Also softer clay being tricker to press as different heats are needed for them.

I think this is generally correct, although it may not be totally complete.

I will say in the end, the chips are still very enjoyable. Not easy to tell weight difference during play.

Thanks guys.

I was wondering if it had something to do with weight, but then I thought about how the retro colors are also unweighted and there is no advisory about using those as base colors. My best guess was that it had something to do with the clay being different to get the colors that bright, sounds like it might be on the track at least to the truth.

Thanks guys.

I was wondering if it had something to do with weight, but then I thought about how the retro colors are also unweighted and there is no advisory about using those as base colors. My best guess was that it had something to do with the clay being different to get the colors that bright, sounds like it might be on the track at least to the truth.
I'm pretty sure it's all about the lack of brass flecks in the DG colors.

Pretty sure it's to offset the cost of the goggles OSHA requires them to use when handling raw glowing material.

Maybe this is the spectrum:

White - least manageable - high reject rate, premium to use it for any purpose
DayGlo - slightly more manageable - reject rate not affected much when only used for spots, so premium charged only if used as base
Regular - most manageable - no premiums

As to why exactly white is least manageable... is it "stickier," picking up other colors and crud? Is it more brittle? Does it flow differently under pressure? Duno.

Or maybe the regular colors use a standard & affordable grade of base (tan) clay, but the dayglows requires a whiter base clay, which is more expensive... explaining why dayglows in spots are a minor component and don't impact cost, but dayglows as base are a major component and raise the price. In this case... why charge the premium for bright white spots? Probably just because every color blemish is so glaring, it leads to a high reject rate...

Sigh. So many mysteries in the CPC building. I may have to make a haj and visit.

I will say in the end, the chips are still very enjoyable. Not easy to tell weight difference during play.

Agreed. I have a custom weighted set and a custom unweighted set. However, you will notice a difference if you mix and match. By that I mean, if you have 4 denoms with 3 weighted and 1 unweighted...you/people will definitely notice the difference since you're playing with them at the same time.

I have had people comment on my unweighted set that they seem a little lighter but it's barely noticeable. If you really want to see, order a sample pack from CPC, that's what I did. Then shuffle a stack of 10 weighted and 10 unweighted. It's only noticeable b/c you're shuffling the two different weights one after the other.

I thought the non-weighted colors matched up to specific weighted colors, just without the brass flakes: i.e., bright white is regular white without flakes, etc. Or maybe it's just that one combo.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom