CPC Customs - How Many Extras (if any) (1 Viewer)

PlaidDragon

Full House
Supporter
Reaction score
Being that I'm on the cusp of my first ever order of CPC customs; I'd like to pick the collective brains of those of you who've already done the dance.

Specifically, I'd like to know if if CPC includes extras.

If so, about how many?

Also, what was the frequency of defects in lots you've purchased?

I just want to be sure that my order contains enough chips of each denom for the set to function as planned. Thus, I guess it's probably prudent to order a small amount over ones planned minimums?

Defects?...none really. Error chips...less than 1%.

Order what you need. If you get a few freebies, that is a nice surprise - you never know if or how many that may be.

I'd like to know if if CPC includes extras.
Yes, but...

about how many?
You really never know. I've had some chips come with one extra where 100+ were made; I've had some chips come with 5+ extra where only 21 were made. They don't guarantee any extras, but will happily include any that turned out okay to offset for possible defects. Speaking of...

what was the frequency of defects in lots you've purchased?
Define "defect". If you mean inlay spilling out over the mold (when it wasn't supposed to, like a 7/8" inlay spilling into the mold), cracked chips, missing inlays, etc, then I've never seen any. If you mean misplaced spots, then <0.1% are errors in my experience.

CPC will include a few extras but there is no guarantee and no set amount. I just depends on how many extras come out of the batch that completes the order for that denomination. On my order, most denominations had about 4 spares. One had 3. One had 8.

I've always followed the order 10% extra of each denom for Murphy rule.

You may or may not get overs/extras with your CPC order. I know old ASM orders always came with overs/extras (except for Dr Ott's version where he sold any of your extras to strangers).

Thank you all.

Define "defect". If you mean inlay spilling out over the mold (when it wasn't supposed to, like a 7/8" inlay spilling into the mold), cracked chips, missing inlays, etc, then I've never seen any. If you mean misplaced spots, then <0.1% are errors in my experience.

That's good to hear.

I guess about 5 extra of everything should be sufficient.

For my cash set I ordered 20 extra for each of the denominations I figured would get the most use, the 25c, $1, $5 & $20. I only ordered 5 extra $100 chips since they rarely see play.

For my tournament set I ordered between 5 & 10 extra for each chip. I was less worried about extras with the tournament set since it is rare that I host/play them.

Extras I received from CPC ranged from 2 to 12, but I did get a few for each chip.

Error chips are Coveted by some. Unique. Rare.

I think David and crew factor in the fabrication of extras to replace any defect chips that come out (cracked, crazy offset inlay, etc...). If they don’t get too many defects, you get more extra chips.

I have yet to receive my chips (soon!!!) so I can't chime in with (anyway statistically insufficient) numbers of bonus chips yet, but I've orderd variable amounts of extras just to make sure I get at least that many, despite knowing I would likely receive some extras here and there.

I have ordered 5 extra chips for my biggest denoms of which I have the fewest chips, gradually increasing the number with the total amount of chips of each denomination in the main set until reaching 20 extras for the biggest chip #/likely going to be most-used denoms. I absolutely wanted to avoid ever having to re-order chips because I run out of emergency replacements. Add-on orders no problem, likely going to happen soon, but only to get more in-play chips.

To put these numbers into proportions -- my set has 320 25c, 400 $1 and 800 $5 chips, ordered 20 extras each. $20 - 300 chips, 15 extras. $100 - 140 chips, 10 extras. $500 - 40 chips, 5 extras. 5c - 200 chips, 10 extras; I figured I'd play minimum 25c/50c most of the time and only rarely use the 5c chips for lower blinds, hence less risk and with that less need for that many extras.

Keep in mind you might not just want to immediately replace the handful of error chips you might receive, but also later on if a chip breaks by accident, or is lost. It can happen!

I ordered 8 extra sample sets, then I got like 5 each from CPC (not ordered).. How many do you plan on loosing, breaking, or getting stolen? None for me.

CPC does great work, you can order with confidence..

I don't want to claim CPCs break easily in any way - hell, how could I even, I don't have long-term experiences with them, not even with my samples.

But accidents can always happen, even accidents involving large amounts of raw force. I certainly don't plan on breaking or losing any, but I know it will eventually happen, so I'm preparing for it. But that's just one way to see it. To each their own.

I always order 25 extra for each denom. That way I have 20 of each for a heads-up set, plus 5 spares. If disaster strikes, the heads-up set becomes more spares.

I ordered an extra 10 of each color (6 colors) in my order and I received anywhere from 3-6 of each extra.

I order five extra per denom. I feel like that isn't enough extras. As @links_slayer said, 20 per denom is probably better.

Extras will range from one chip to twenty chips.

B

I always order extras. Chips can be broken lost or stolen over time. There’s no guarantee CPC will be around forever. I believe in having backups so your set is ready to last a lifetime.

As far as extra chips from production. I look at that as a pure bonus.

I always order extras. Chips can be broken lost or stolen over time. There’s no guarantee CPC will be around forever. I believe in having backups so your set is ready to last a lifetime.
Same. I've always gotten a couple extras although officially David will tell you that they only guarantee the number in your order.
As far as extra chips from production. I look at that as a pure bonus.
Yes and sometimes it pops up in the most unexpected ways. When I did my 44mm set, (excluding a handful of samples) I ordered 210 solid, no spot chips and got 216 or roughly 3% extra. My most expensive chip was a L3 and I only wanted one barrel so I ordered 23. They sent me 31. That's a 35% bonus!

My theory, which has never been proven or disproven is this: It may be a function of how many chips a mold makes per press. Given the pressures involved I bet the molds have to be kept balanced. Thus they might have to run the press with every cup filled to keep the halves even and prevent overpressure on the cups that are filled.

Let's say a mold does 16 chips at a time. If they are making something not divisible by 16 (e.g. 100) they have to round the total up (e.g. to 112). After seven runs they might discard a few due to quality, giving you say 108. But it's not as simple as that. CPC sells sample chips to show different molds and spot patterns (with their inlays) so to the extent that they have to fill the mold on the last run they might use their sample inlay instead of yours. That gives you the 102-105 people customarily receive.

My order ended up being a bit over 700 chips. In addition to ordering 5 over in each denom, I received:

+9 red
+2 cyan
+7 green
+5 yellow
+8 black
+10 violet chips. Quite an extra haul, for certain.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom