CPC add ons (or how I am going to scratch that itch) (1 Viewer)

MeridianFC

Flush
Reaction score
So way back in the day when most of you all were still thinking poker was that thing near the fireplace to stir the embers and slugged dice chips were but a dream, there was this moment where Atlantic Standard Molding decided to see if we the great unwashed could handle some semi-custom chips. For years you could get your own inlay on an edge spotted chip, as long as the edge spot pattern was 312. We begged and pleaded with ASM to let us have some of those really cool spot patterns like we saw in "That Movie". "No" was the answer for years until the Grand Poobah (Jim they called him) in his infinite wisdom said "let's see if these mere mortals can handle something else". Thus it was that a group of enthusiasts whe belonged to the Site Before PCF were allowed to choose a set of spotted chips that one could put their own inlay on. As an added bonus you could choose any 3D14! So it was that being a part of this first wave of clay customs (semi?) that I ended up with these:

ASM Singles all .JPG

The .25, $5, and Black $100 were part of the group designed picks. The $1 and Pink 3D14 $25 were part of the original allowed free choice (of 3D14s). Of course subsequent to this ASM opened up to basically any spot patterns so I added on the Pink 4D14 $25 and the DG Yellow 214. Who knows what I was thinking at that time. I guess I did because I could.

After actually playing in my dimly lit subterranean gaming parlor it be came apparent that the Brown - Orange - Pink run in the middle were too close in hue and lead to dirty stack/pot scenarios. Plus something just never sat right with me about the look.

ASM Stacks all.JPG

In any case, after ASM became Classic Poker Chips, I had a new $1 made (Dark Blue 3DS16 Light Blue) and that worked well withe frac and the $5. Still was never satisfied for the big value chips in the set so to that end I am going to add a new $25 and new $100, both of which won't see much action but they still need to be there. Just wanted to see if anyone can see any problems with the proposed additions.
ASM and CPC stacks no fracs.jpg

Proposed new line up:

CPC New 01.png

With the keywords being "dimly lit basement" I would suggest more contrast - perhaps light green for the 25? And black and dark blue are very close also - maybe go with another colour for the hundred?

E9ECA4EE-2B6A-4CC1-B3A4-8230596B8175.jpeg

Thanks for that insight, you identified two issues I've been rolling over in my mind. Do you think Charcoal has enough hue separation from Dark Blue (Charcoal wasn't an option way back when I first ordered the new Blue)? A lot of the real estate on the $100 is Yellow.

CPC New 02.png

Last edited:
Get yourself a sample set - the dayglo colours and bright white are like nothing that has gone before them!

679AFF62-9205-4B01-AE5E-0D65EFEEF2C6.jpeg

With the keywords being "dimly lit basement" I would suggest more contrast - perhaps light green for the 25? And black and dark blue are very close also - maybe go with another colour for the hundred?

View attachment 994242
I owe you big time, your warnings/suggestions were spot on. I actually found my sample set and placing the existing chips next to the samples definitely showed that Light Green works much better in the environment it will be used in and Dark Blue and Black are way too close. My sample set is from before Charcoal and Bright White were options so can't compare those.

I owe you big time, your warnings/suggestions were spot on. I actually found my sample set and placing the existing chips next to the samples definitely showed that Light Green works much better in the environment it will be used in and Dark Blue and Black are way too close. My sample set is from before Charcoal and Bright White were options so can't compare those.
That's what we're here for! Always best to see what they look like in the flesh. For example, dayglo orange and regular orange are very similar shades but all the other dayglo colours are significantly brighter. Since your existing chips don't have dayglo colours, I would look hard at how much the use of dayglo could make the new chips seem out of place.

1664378382475.png

That's what we're here for! Always best to see what they look like in the flesh. For example, dayglo orange and regular orange are very similar shades but all the other dayglo colours are significantly brighter. Since your existing chips don't have dayglo colours, I would look hard at how much the use of dayglo could make the new chips seem out of place.
That doesn't bother me. If anything because $25 is high rolling in my world, I'd want it to stand out. I think the 4DSA416 keeps it fitting with the set (progressing from the $1's 3DS316). I think 4D18 or even good old 4D14 would work too.

I'm now going back and forth on whether I need a Hundred chip at all. In my game it's only a "Bank" chip. Been thinking of just getting a few plaques for that purpose.

I was working with my sample set last night and it's quite revealing how much the amount of light makes the difference between a chip being completely workable and completely camouflaged.

I've been fine tuning this since actually pulling out the sample chips. I forget how dark in hue/earthy, assuming due to brass flakes, most ASM/CPC chips are. Light Green and White seem to work best as base for the new chips for the new chips.

CPC New Samples Base.jpeg

My newest thought (could swap out the Black on the White base chip for Charcoal or something else):
CPC New 04.png

CPC New Samples 02.jpeg

I think I've got it down to three choices (bearing in mind that Gray, Blue, and Orange are set because I've already got 800 of them):

A.
CPC A.png
B.
CPC B.png
C.
CPC C.png

Do you need an updated one? I'm not that far from you.
I think I'm good, but I really appreciate the offer. The Green is the big decision and it's plenty clear that Dark Blue and Green are just too dark in hue to be in the same set. The other thread about Yellow reinforced my thoughts on that, so I think I'm about ready to pull the trigger.

I'm going to have to make my way up to the EC at some point (if there is a seat going spare).

A is nice but I do like B also. C doesn't really fit to me.

And I would consider going full glo with the edgespots on the hundo to make it stand out since you're not using bright white.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom