CPC A Crest vs CSQ

TKEUofM

3 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking at putting together a custom set through CPC. I have my design done but am now wondering about the differences between the A Crest and CSQ molds. The price list shows the A Crest to be cheaper by about $0.20 per chip and if I order 2,000-3,000 chips that can start to add up.

Anyone have thoughts or experiences on difference in feel or quality?

I've heard that CPC keeps the A Crest mold running all the time, is that true? Is that the reason for the cheaper price?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Eloe2000

4 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally prefer the look and feel and sound of the A Crest, but the only thing that throws me off is the randomness of the letter A. Several players in my game who don’t even care about chips asked what the A was for.

GianThaMan

Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CSQ is smoother and feels better IMO, but some people prefer the grippy texture of A-crest. As always, get samples.

Reactions: BNM

TKEUofM

3 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Rounders CSQ sample set and an Atlantic Club A Crest sample set.

Gut feeling based on the samples is that I like the CSQ mold better. I did notice that the A mold has a bit more texture. Just looking for more feedback from those who have ordered a full set.

Ellasdaddy

Straight
Reaction score
When I design my set, it will be A Crest. Love the feel and my last name starts with A. No brainer for me. I do like the CSQ mold though.

GianThaMan

Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I design my set, it will be A Crest. Love the feel and my last name starts with A. No brainer for me. I do like the CSQ mold though.
If we're going off personal preference, I'm not that into either of these molds, I really like diasqr and FDL personally, they feel like butter to shuffle, but they're some of the most expensive CPC molds.

RowdyRawhide

Full House
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's all about person feel. I know a lot of people love the A mold, but personally for me it my least favorite mold of all the CPC molds.

I have always assumed the "A" stood for Altantic in Atlantic Standard Molding, the company name before CPC took over.

ConsensualPresidency

Pair
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally prefer the look and feel and sound of the A Crest, but the only thing that throws me off is the randomness of the letter A. Several players in my game who don’t even care about chips asked what the A was for.

I have a 44mm A mold on order & thought about this question, as the A has no tie-in to my theme. I was just going to call it a quad aces mold.

Coyote

4 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Either visually / pictorially, or in terms of feel / sound, it's all down to personal preference.

Of course, there has to be an A-story behind an A-mold, a B-story behind a B-mold, an Asian story behind Elephant-and-Crown, or a rural story behind a Horsehead mold. Other molds can be more neutral, inlay-wise (and hence, story-wise). The simplest and classiest, IMO, is the Diamond Square.

A-mold is, if not best, still very decent in all respects and has the advantage of being always in production.

Thank God it matched my city and its holy bird:)
gray yellow.jpg

GianThaMan

Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Either visually / pictorially, or in terms of feel / sound, it's all down to personal preference.

Of course, there has to be an A-story behind an A-mold, a B-story behind a B-mold, an Asian story behind Elephant-and-Crown, or a rural story behind a Horsehead mold. Other molds can be more neutral, inlay-wise (and hence, story-wise). The simplest and classiest, IMO, is the Diamond Square.

A-mold is, if not best, still very decent in all respects and has the advantage of being always in production.

View attachment 476101
Your chips, to this day, remain my favorite CPC customs ever, even though they're on A-mold.

Rhodeman77

4 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A-mold has the lowest failure rate and for that reason is the least expensive. It is pretty much always in production so lead time is shorter, especially for add-ons.

Also the A-mood is the newest mold so it has the most texture to it.

there was a very cool thread a few years ago where someone took detailed zoomed in pics of all the chips to show how the different mold are more worn from age/use.
The Circle Sq were the most “worn” even as brand new chips while the A-mold has a ton of texture.

I went with A-mold because of availability for speed of the order, about 4 months at that time and easy add-ons. I have done 3 of them. Cost saving was also a factor that helped make the decision easier.

TKEUofM

3 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 476101
That is an awesome looking chip. Can you post pics of the rest of the set?

TKEUofM

3 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I shared it in another thread recently, but here's the set I built out, just changed it over to A mold to see how it looks. :)

Chip Set - v2.png

Coyote

4 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are already displayed in Albums and a dedicated Pr0n thread. Just type the Athenian Owl Club words into "search" :)

Top Bottom