CPAP/sleep apnea (2 Viewers)

Did not realize this thread was here & that there were so many CPAP users here lol. I think I'm gonna set mine up again. I got diagnosed back in October and was fairly consistent with it up until January when I moved across the country. I have a ResMed CPAP with one of the masks that attaches to the top of your head instead of the front of your face.

It's a lot more comfortable than the traditional one. However, the tubes get smooshed whenever you lay on your side. I'm pretty sure I'm losing oxygen/moisture whenever I'm using the new mask, because my mouth is practically in pain from being so dry when I wake up lmfao. So I've mostly stopped using it. Probably gonna start thugging it out again or maybe ordering a new mask from the company.

Did not realize this thread was here & that there were so many CPAP users here lol. I think I'm gonna set mine up again. I got diagnosed back in October and was fairly consistent with it up until January when I moved across the country. I have a ResMed CPAP with one of the masks that attaches to the top of your head instead of the front of your face.

It's a lot more comfortable than the traditional one. However, the tubes get smooshed whenever you lay on your side. I'm pretty sure I'm losing oxygen/moisture whenever I'm using the new mask, because my mouth is practically in pain from being so dry when I wake up lmfao. So I've mostly stopped using it. Probably gonna start thugging it out again or maybe ordering a new mask from the company.
Dry mouth is a very common side-effect from CPAP therapy, but your F, P or N30i mask isn’t likely to be the culprit - it’s designed to be slept on i.e. that one side of the tube gets compressed when on your side. Have a look at the following as possible causes:

- Mask leak (do you have a tight seal? Leak is one of the most common contributors to dry mouth)
- If you have a nasal or pillow mask, do you sleep with an open mouth?
- Humidification settings (do you have a humidifier? If so, what setting level do you have it set at? As a rule, I’d recommend “Climate Control Auto” as it will Self-adjust you temp and humidity based on ambient room temp and humidification)

Other non-CPAP related things like certain medications, tobacco use, etc can also contribute to dry mouth.

Dry mouth is a very common side-effect from CPAP therapy, but your F, P or N30i mask isn’t likely to be the culprit - it’s designed to be slept on i.e. that one side of the tube gets compressed when on your side. Have a look at the following as possible causes:

- Mask leak (do you have a tight seal? Leak is one of the most common contributors to dry mouth)
- If you have a nasal or pillow mask, do you sleep with an open mouth?
- Humidification settings (do you have a humidifier? If so, what setting level do you have it set at? As a rule, I’d recommend “Climate Control Auto” as it will Self-adjust you temp and humidity based on ambient room temp and humidification)

Other non-CPAP related things like certain medications, tobacco use, etc can also contribute to dry mouth.

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification.

It is a nasal pillow mask, and yes for the most part have been sleeping with my mouth open. My humidifier is set to Climate Control Auto & I don't smoke/take medications. I'll try to sleep with my mouth closed more often and see if I am leaking more than I believe I am. Thanks man

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification.

It is a nasal pillow mask, and yes for the most part have been sleeping with my mouth open. My humidifier is set to Climate Control Auto & I don't smoke/take medications. I'll try to sleep with my mouth closed more often and see if I am leaking more than I believe I am. Thanks man

If the P30i works well for you but you sleep with an open mouth, consider giving a chin strap a try (something like this: https://www.thecpapshop.com/resmed-chin-strap). Easy to keep your mouth closed whilst awake, but once you're asleep, a chin strap will help.

You can control for mask leak pretty easily using the MyAir app (if you have either an AirSense 10 or 11). Directly on the device you can get some limited info on that too in the patient menu.

Good luck!

You probably have noticed it, but just in case, I find I have to fill the humidifier about every 2 nights.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom