COVID-19 (Corona virous) and your home game? (5 Viewers)

I was just getting into live poker again, but sadly cannot justify it. I am vaxxed and boosted along with all my family but one (she is 15 and just got eligible...she gets her booster Sunday). Hopefully, the numbers will drop as fast as they went up, but my family is back to taking social distancing and masking seriously again.

To all those that have got this recent bout, I hope that you continue to heal quickly and without too severe of symptoms. It seems that those that are vaxxed and get this come out fine on the other side....I hope that continues to be true.

Below is a graph of the virginia numbers. Note the spikes are usually from Mondays when they combine data from the weekend when they don't release the data.

View attachment 842381
Staticians really love convenience over accuracy “Just put those numbers in whenever or wherever you want”

Staticians really love convenience over accuracy “Just put those numbers in whenever or wherever you want”
In our state it's not the statisticians it's the government. The stats folks would love to have everything updated daily.

I have colleagues who have FOI requests in to validate some of the data that underlies these charts, and let's just say that data has not not exactly been forthcoming. The state ombudsman are friendly and professional but also not forthcoming.

If the numbers from the weekend are unreported until Monday, then they don't get reported until Monday. It's not "convenience", it's reported cases. It would be wrong to make up numbers for the weekend "lets pretend half these cam in on Saturday and half came in on Sunday".

It's raw data.

That's why we look at things like 7-day moving averages before making decisions. The statisticians don't interpret the results for you. They simply provide the data. It's your job to know how to read the data.

If the numbers from the weekend are unreported until Monday, then they don't get reported until Monday. It's not "convenience", it's reported cases. It would be wrong to make up numbers for the weekend "lets pretend half these cam in on Saturday and half came in on Sunday".

It's raw data.

That's why we look at things like 7-day moving averages before making decisions. The statisticians don't interpret the results for you. They simply provide the data. It's your job to know how to read the data.

CDC supplies data on a weekly basis. I generally find these numbers much more useful than "daily" updates, which are subject to much fluctuation and (as we've seen) delay. It has allowed me to do some rough calculations (in the past) with better context, especially in terms of age-related risks.

Since I last posted here about Omicron numbers in my area, hospitalizations went up 25% in one day. My first thought was "uh oh", because I was expecting a huge wave over the next few days. There was a further increase of about 5% the next day. Then it was flat for the next day. Total ICU admission increase over the same amount of time was about 10%. Deaths have remained a constant level of about 3 per day. This is, of course, 3 per day too many, especially when most of them could have been fairly simply prevented.

I remain cautious. Average new daily case counts are 8-10x what they were in mid-December. It still has the possibility to overwhelm the medical system. If Omicron is only 10-15% as deadly as Delta, we're still even on a pure numbers basis.

I heard that researchers at McMaster University have found that a 10-day course of fluvoxamine (long-genericized SSRI-class antidepressant) can cut COVID hospitalizations in symptomatic infected individuals by 30%. Waiting to see the confirmation of data from my colleagues in the know. Better than nothing, hopefully a stopgap measure until other/better treatments are approved and available.

Just slept through it with a left over soar throat from the sniffles
Kid barely had a cough
He Has had worse flu seasons
It is now the sniffles
98% is OmniCrud

Plus fresh air and exercise
Amazing
image.jpg

This thread is hysterical

https://www.dailywire.com/news/judg...=email&utm_source=housefile&utm_content=daily

Two out of three ain’t bad
#LGB

Had to cancel Saturday's game due to my wife and oldest son getting it. They are fine. If anything, I would categorize it as a "mild chest cold". I have to think the fact that they are up to date on their shots made a difference.

Tested positive yesterday after waking up with cold symptoms, then got a call from work that a bunch of co-workers showed symptoms and tested positive over the weekend.
Pulmonologist put me on Paxlovid. So far, it’s like a bad cold with a touch of the flu. I had both shots and booster, but I’m overweight with lung issues. Hope this is as bad as it gets.

Tested positive yesterday after waking up with cold symptoms, then got a call from work that a bunch of co-workers showed symptoms and tested positive over the weekend.
Pulmonologist put me on Paxlovid. So far, it’s like a bad cold with a touch of the flu. I had both shots and booster, but I’m overweight with lung issues. Hope this is as bad as it gets.
Sorry to hear and hope you have a quick recovery !

I am overweight and diabetic. I had 4 days where I felt like a bad flu and then a couple of weeks that felt like a cold and that was it.

I am overweight and diabetic. I had 4 days where I felt like a bad flu and then a couple of weeks that felt like a cold and that was it.
That I certainly could deal with…glad yours wasn’t too bad. Was this recently? I feel lucky that I was able to avoid the variants of 1.5 to 2 years ago…these new ones seem far less intense.

These are reported daily deaths for the whole world. I find the trend very encouraging!

Attachments

• 0AE9C8FD-0269-4C9B-8CF4-AED08038EC8C.jpeg
    0AE9C8FD-0269-4C9B-8CF4-AED08038EC8C.jpeg
    70.3 KB · Views: 92

Hang in there! Wishing you a speedy recovery!

That I certainly could deal with…glad yours wasn’t too bad. Was this recently? I feel lucky that I was able to avoid the variants of 1.5 to 2 years ago…these new ones seem far less intense.
January, I got the omicron when it first hit. I am also triple vaxxed.

Here's hoping your vaccine and booster keep it on the milder side. I def. think it helped for me when I got it back when Delta was transitioning to Omicron in this area around NYE. I tested positive NYE morning. It also was a bit of a roller coaster for me. Early was bad, then got better, then back downhill a bit, then cold-like until gone. My wife lost her taste and smell and that was her biggest complaint by far. It did come back relatively quickly for her.

Rub some dirt on it and get back out there.

Wishing you well, and a speedy recovery!

Yeah, that's the positive thing, it seems that the current variants are less potent. That combined with the vaccines and better treatments make things a lot better now. I hope it's mild for you and you have a speedy recovery!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom