Could use some advice on a micro stakes set (1 Viewer)

Servo

Two Pair
Reaction score
Hello! I’ve found a lot of great info here lurking for a bit, and I’m slowly narrowing down what I want to do for a set. My group started playing years ago with dice chips— rather arbitrarily, whites were .10, blue .20, green .50, and black 1.00. Now I’m looking to finally get a set with denoms, and I’ll go .05, .25., 1, 5 for something a bit more standard.

My question: how much should I concern myself with standard colors for such a set? I think my group will initially find white $1s a bit odd, and I’m tempted to make the whites the nickels.

I can’t find a stock set with nickels that I like, so I’m considering over labeling something like Jacks or horseshoes. Would a lineup of 1, 25, 100, 5 relabeled into .05, .25, 1, 5 be crazy? It’s almost a dollar to cents swap, and aside from from the 5, would be a normal progression. Other options would be a straight dollar-to-cents swap of 5, 25, 100, 500, or keeping 1s (cheap) in the mix with 1, 25, 100, 500.

Appreciate any tips from the experts!

I feel like budget and desired end-product are the most important for something like this. I know that as long as the chips themselves have values on them, people will play with them just fine. In fact, traditional colors are likely going to be much more of a sticking point if you're playing with other chippers than if you are playing with people who don't REALLY care about the chips beyond the fact that they are nice to play with.

If your goal is to put together a Paulson set with relabels, your best bet is probably going to pick fractional colors that you can pick up in bulk without breaking the bank. I think if you build around a blue one you could go with a white frac (or the opposite). There are also decent RHC options (yellows and browns, mostly) that can be had. Otherwise paying for, say, pink chips can get spendy.

What is your target price per chip?

Hello! I’ve found a lot of great info here lurking for a bit, and I’m slowly narrowing down what I want to do for a set. My group started playing years ago with dice chips— rather arbitrarily, whites were .10, blue .20, green .50, and black 1.00. Now I’m looking to finally get a set with denoms, and I’ll go .05, .25., 1, 5 for something a bit more standard.

My question: how much should I concern myself with standard colors for such a set? I think my group will initially find white $1s a bit odd, and I’m tempted to make the whites the nickels.

I can’t find a stock set with nickels that I like, so I’m considering over labeling something like Jacks or horseshoes. Would a lineup of 1, 25, 100, 5 relabeled into .05, .25, 1, 5 be crazy? It’s almost a dollar to cents swap, and aside from from the 5, would be a normal progression. Other options would be a straight dollar-to-cents swap of 5, 25, 100, 500, or keeping 1s (cheap) in the mix with 1, 25, 100, 500.

Who cares about colors if the chips says what it’s worth?
E1DC9D84-989C-43EE-9C76-B9720CF40E50.jpeg

What is your target price per chip?
You ask hard questions, lol. I really haven’t decided, but it keeps going up, it seems. I would be perfectly happy, and in budget, with a set of Banks from Apache, but they don’t offer a nickel. With that out, and a sample of Jack Cinci in-hand, I’m exploring what the lowest I could do on Paulson is. I could end up just putting custom labels on blank Majestics, though, if I can’t convince myself on the price.
Who cares about colors if the chips says what it’s worth?
Thanks for these examples; very helpful!

I'm pretty OCD, but have no problem using my set with $5, $25, $100 denominations play as nickles, quarters and dollars. Players have never had a problem with me saying "the numbers on the chips represent cents" either.

You ask hard questions, lol. I really haven’t decided, but it keeps going up, it seems. I would be perfectly happy, and in budget, with a set of Banks from Apache, but they don’t offer a nickel. With that out, and a sample of Jack Cinci in-hand, I’m exploring what the lowest I could do on Paulson is. I could end up just putting custom labels on blank Majestics, though, if I can’t convince myself on the price.
It sounds like cost may be a concern. Have you looked at designs offered at www.brpropoker.com? Ceramics offer great value for the price, and their semi custom option allows you to not only create a nickel chip out of thin air for it but also change colors to meet your desires. I did that with my micro stakes set

I'm pretty OCD, but have no problem using my set with $5, $25, $100 denominations play as nickles, quarters and dollars. Players have never had a problem with me saying "the numbers on the chips represent cents" either.
My group played $1 $5 $25 as 10c 50c $2.50 and they had no problem with it

From experience, divide by 10 100 or 2 are doable any other divisions they suddenly can’t turn around the number

If you looking for Clay chip with micro stake and had a good budget, you can consider Key West @dennis63 one of our vendor here

They had denomination from 5c onwards

It is good advice not to use white for fracs, its also good advice to use denominations. As Kifer points out who cares about color when you have denoms ... I'll tell you who cares! people with CDO (thats OCD for the norms)

I prefer the Cali standard, but I've also done non denoms with an alternate color 5 on a Vegas standard.

@satisfyingbutton has a great question, what's your budget?

It is good advice not to use white for fracs, its also good advice to use denominations. As Kifer points out who cares about color when you have denoms ... I'll tell you who cares! people with CDO (thats OCD for the norms)

I prefer the Cali standard, but I've also done non denoms with an alternate color 5 on a Vegas standard.

I’m not Kifer ha… but I played him on TV

What the fuck man......

Not crazy at all. Relabel to your heart's content!

In this set, nickels used to be $1's, quarters were $25, 0.50 were $2 chips, $1's were $100's, and I kept the $5's as they were. Also got some purple chips to increase the bank if the game plays bigger.

View media item 22777
View media item 21807
View media item 21703

Thanks for these examples; very helpful!
If you like the Bank chips, you could order the set you want and choose a higher denomination to relabel as a nickel. These are common enough chips that it's possible that someone like Gear already has the labels ready to be printed (which would save you design hassles).

While I've personally never done it with these chips specifically, I believe the labels on a Bank chip should pop off pretty easily. Then you can slap your nickel labels on for your set. Should only need to be done for 100 chips, so nothing too crazy.

---

Also, if I were you, I'd seriously look into "Cards Mold" ceramics in a set that has a nickel. You can put a wanted ad up to see if anyone has a printed set ready to sell, or you can order through the various channels.

Wow, thank you all for the incredible response! Sounds like there's not too much concern with odd colors at the micro stakes level. To put a finer point on it, I wasn't sure if poker enthusiasts (of which I'm one, but overall more laid back than most) cared much about standard colors, or just poker chip enthusiasts. As we try to bring new blood to our game, I don't want to piss off/annoy/alienate new people and come off as amateur hour with weird colors. I think JMC's post has me sold.

It sounds like cost may be a concern. Have you looked at designs offered at www.brpropoker.com? Ceramics offer great value for the price, and their semi custom option allows you to not only create a nickel chip out of thin air for it but also change colors to meet your desires. I did that with my micro stakes set
Funny you should mention that... I had essentially ruled out ceramics because I preferred a more traditional look and feel. Then I saw these: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/super-poker-world-ceramic-chips.88888/. I ordered a sample set of Tiki Kings from BRPro just to see what ceramics feel and sound like, and they just arrived today. Turns out I like them more than I thought I would (and my wife said "oh cool, tikis!" I really just picked them as a random ceramic sample, but maybe they're in the mix now...) In some ways, I wish I hated them... another option now, lol.

Not crazy at all. Relabel to your heart's content!

In this set, nickels used to be $1's, quarters were $25, 0.50 were $2 chips, $1's were $100's, and I kept the $5's as they were. Also got some purple chips to increase the bank if the game plays bigger.
Wow, thank you! Aside from the 0.50s, this is exactly what I have in mind. These look great!

If you like the Bank chips, you could order the set you want and choose a higher denomination to relabel as a nickel. These are common enough chips that it's possible that someone like Gear already has the labels ready to be printed (which would save you design hassles).

While I've personally never done it with these chips specifically, I believe the labels on a Bank chip should pop off pretty easily. Then you can slap your nickel labels on for your set. Should only need to be done for 100 chips, so nothing too crazy.
Funny story.... you read my mind from about a month ago. I thought I had the problem solved--buy Banks, including the yellow 1,000, and relabel it as a 0.05. (And my group would just have to deal with the new color scheme.) I reached out to Gear, who, it turns out, does not have permission to print Banks, but was happy to ask Apache for permission on my behalf. (btw, even though I haven't bought anything through Gear yet, their customer service was exceptional.) I exchanged a few emails with Apache after Gear put us in touch, and he gave them permission print Bank labels for me... if I purchased "over 1,000 chips." So, that option is out.

I also think I'm suffering from a common problem around here. After seeing and handling the Jack Cinci chips, and seeing posts like JMC's above, I find myself brainstorming ways to justify the cost for the "real thing."

Sorry, almost missed your question-- I don't have a set budget, but I'll have a hard time justifying more than $1/chip, I think. Not out of the question, and the more I see some more pricey options, the more the justifications start flowing, lol.

if I purchased "over 1,000 chips." So, that option is out.
I be out too, good choice.

There was a time where he selling 12 chips as a set at $12 shipped, I asked if I will to buy 9 or 10 set at once how much will I saved on shipping.

He replied me it be the same still $108 or $120 for 9 or 10 sets even though we know he not going to send us in 9 or 10 different packages. So I just don’t buy any and posted a wanted adv at PCF
more than $1/chip, I think. Not out of the question, and the more I see some more pricey options, the more the justifications start flowing, lol.
Customised Ceramic are very good option with that budget or used Paulson may be in your consideration since theChipRoom Sales is next you can consider wait and see first

With the upcoming ChipRoom sale on Indiana Grand Paulsons, there's no better time to grab some at a great price.
When the Horseshoe Southern Indiana sale was on, $1 were 49 cents, $5 were .59, and $25 were .69.
If the new sale is simlilar, you could well be within your budget.

With the Horseshoe chips, I made a set using the standard $1, $5, $25 (and a few $100). For the 5 cent and 25 cent chips, I bought solids and milled them myself, and used Gear labels. Those ended up being about $2 per chip in total, but the savings on the $1 and higher chips really helped.
361EECE8-2D36-40E3-8D6D-ABDC2CB04E68.jpeg

With the Indiana Grand chips, you could always do what was mentioned earlier, use the $5 as a nickel, $25 as a quarter and $100 as $1.
Or, buy the $1 and use them as $1! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

The $5 and $25 will likely be under a dollar and the $100 likely over... so it may be fine with your budget.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Thank you! I’ve been watching that ChipRoom thread and curiously awaiting the prices. If as low as suggested, I’ll probably jump on it, at least for some— good point about using savings elsewhere, too.

Sorry, almost missed your question-- I don't have a set budget, but I'll have a hard time justifying more than $1/chip, I think. Not out of the question, and the more I see some more pricey options, the more the justifications start flowing, lol.
At that price point, I'd look at these four options:

- Go with the Super Poker World chips. They are bright, well-made, and fun. They already have micro stakes setups.
- Wait and see if the Indiana Grands are cheap enough and go that route.
- Keep an eye out for a Cards Mold group buy that has nickels. (You could use these Palms as cents - https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/palms-treasure-island-caesars-card-mold-group-buy.89760/)
- Get semi-customs from BRPro (possibly Tikis, if you like the design).

If ceramics do it for you, then you've got plenty of fun options!

Best of luck to you on your chipping journey!

Last edited:
As we try to bring new blood to our game, I don't want to piss off/annoy/alienate new people and come off as amateur hour with weird colors
Anyone who comes to my games and has a problem with my chosen set is told they can "feel free to spend their money on chips and host their own game". Dude seriously, these are your chips. This is YOUR investment in YOUR game. You be you man. F the haters

Wow, thank you all for the incredible response! Sounds like there's not too much concern with odd colors at the micro stakes level. To put a finer point on it, I wasn't sure if poker enthusiasts (of which I'm one, but overall more laid back than most) cared much about standard colors, or just poker chip enthusiasts. As we try to bring new blood to our game, I don't want to piss off/annoy/alienate new people and come off as amateur hour with weird colors. I think JMC's post has me sold.

Funny you should mention that... I had essentially ruled out ceramics because I preferred a more traditional look and feel. Then I saw these: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/super-poker-world-ceramic-chips.88888/. I ordered a sample set of Tiki Kings from BRPro just to see what ceramics feel and sound like, and they just arrived today. Turns out I like them more than I thought I would (and my wife said "oh cool, tikis!" I really just picked them as a random ceramic sample, but maybe they're in the mix now...) In some ways, I wish I hated them... another option now, lol.

Wow, thank you! Aside from the 0.50s, this is exactly what I have in mind. These look great!

Funny story.... you read my mind from about a month ago. I thought I had the problem solved--buy Banks, including the yellow 1,000, and relabel it as a 0.05. (And my group would just have to deal with the new color scheme.) I reached out to Gear, who, it turns out, does not have permission to print Banks, but was happy to ask Apache for permission on my behalf. (btw, even though I haven't bought anything through Gear yet, their customer service was exceptional.) I exchanged a few emails with Apache after Gear put us in touch, and he gave them permission print Bank labels for me... if I purchased "over 1,000 chips." So, that option is out.

I also think I'm suffering from a common problem around here. After seeing and handling the Jack Cinci chips, and seeing posts like JMC's above, I find myself brainstorming ways to justify the cost for the "real thing."
I have a set of semi-custom tikis - they are by far the set I use most, even though I have much nicer sets.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom