Coronavirus-forced poker hiatus (1 Viewer)

CreamyPoliticalGreatwhiteshark-size_restricted.gif

Last live poker home game was March 15, 2020. Next live home game is scheduled for June 6, 2020. That's a forced hiatus of 83 days.

That's probably the longest stretch I've gone in the last 20+ years.

I still don't know if I'm comfortable playing

Im hoping he goes with Dealers choice!.

I think my first hosting will be 3/6 limit. Now that i have enough ones to give everyone teo racks of ones.

@Marc Hedrick

I still don't know if I'm comfortable playing

I think my first hosting will be 3/6 limit. Now that i have enough ones to give everyone teo racks of ones.
One solution to community touching of cards and chips:

Use a new deck for each deal..... and all chips in the pot each hand are taken off the table, with the winner receiving fresh chips from the bank.

Depending on how many chips and cards you have, you could stretch it out to the scheduled break, where everything gets cleaned and start all over.

Gloves not really necessary (except during cleaning operations), but masks or face shields during play might be a good precautionary idea. Face shields would still allow people to see each other, and drink beverages.

One solution to community touching of cards and chips:

Use a new deck for each deal..... and all chips in the pot each hand are taken off the table, with the winner receiving fresh chips from the bank.

Depending on how many chips and cards you have, you could stretch it out to the scheduled break, where everything gets cleaned and start all over.

Gloves not really necessary (except during cleaning operations), but masks or face shields during play might be a good precautionary idea. Face shields would still allow people to see each other, and drink beverages.
OMG! I just had a terrifying vision of going back to work

I brought it up with my group during our online game the other night, the concensus seems to be to wait until after summer.

I’ve played a couple times with my son and his buddies the last couple weeks. And I lost 195-200 to my wife last night in gin. I have to admit it feels nice to peek at real live cards! Looking forward to seeing you guys tonight!

I brought it up with my group during our online game the other night, the concensus seems to be to wait until after summer.

Time to find new friends?

I've been isolated almost exclusively at home the whole time... I've been to the office maybe 4 times. I don't get close to others running or walking the dog. Wife has made grocery and food runs, and the kids have been at home mostly.

I'm certain I'm not contagious. We're playing shortish (8 players, I think, if no one drops) and I'm expecting everyone else will be similarly confident that they haven't been exposed.

There are people in his household with a compromised immune system. I trust that he is confident he's virus-free.

Look, I don't want the Rona, but candidly, I'm not afraid to contract it either... So if it happens, it happens.

I was just uninvited for speaking critically of Parks & Rec (the show, not the chips). So I guess my next game will be next weekend at @Marc Hedrick's. As long as I don't bad mouth Nascar, I should be good.

Last edited:

I'm with you on this one. I would feel absolutely horrible if I somehow got Covid-19 and passed it on to somebody with a compromised immune system. It's just not worth it and I'm not ready to take the chance yet. Despite the precautions everybody says they are taking, it only takes one person (without symptoms even) to pass it on to a bunch of people when sitting in confined spaces and I guess I'm just not trusting enough to believe everybody there will have taken the same precautions that I have taken.

For me, the risks of getting it and passing it on to somebody are still greater than the rewards of playing poker. I don't know if that's going to change next week, next month, after the summer, or whenever, but it's not time yet. Of course, everybody's situation is different. If I lived in Wyoming, I'd probably be playing today. If I lived in the Northeast, Illinois, California, or some other state in which it was still pretty prevalent, it might be well after the summer or even next year. It's just a wait and see game, I guess.

You guys have enough to worry about in Atlanta. I applaud your mayor for saying, "Go home!" last night, tho...

Last edited:
You guys have enough to worry about in Atlanta. I applaud your hair for saying, "Go home!" last night, tho...

I actually live a bit outside of Atlanta. So, while I know a bit about the mayor and such, I really don't pay a lot of attention to Atlanta politics or know much about her. She made a very good impression on me with her speech last night and telling people to "Go home!". I will never understand how or why things like that happen, but I've been told I just don't get it. I don't think I want to get it.

First Home Poker STT in France last Wednesday after 2 month and an half of Hiatus.
We played from 7 PM to 5 am, with very short breaks, so happy we were of playing IRL
Our Friend's wife ended up kicking us out :LOL: :laugh:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom