Coronavirus, Education & Distance Learning (1 Viewer)

I just returned from King Fahd Int. the foot traffic was down about 75% imo. Boys should be in the air to Heathrow in 30 minutes. They made it through the first health check. My oldest going to LAX, straight to his Occi dorm, packing out and driving to PHX. The rest of the school year is closed to campus courses...all online. They are already calculating refunds for housing and meal plans. The University and boarding school closures will have a devastating impact of the food services and all other area business. The little guy store owners near universities are in as much peril as the airlines I think.

Welp. My district is out through April 24th per our governor's request along with my son. No word on if our pay is going to continue through that time or not. Awesome stuff...

On the plus side I've gotten in contact with 17/22 families and all but one have not had any family members get sick. The one that has is recovering in a hospital at the moment on a 30 day quarantine. I've also managed to connect a few families with some extra food sources and a few others with working internet. Although my district is provided "packets" to meet the requirements of learning, they are a joke. Basically its about 3 pages of reading and math, without instructions, lessons or anything from stuff they did in the classroom from 3 weeks ago.

Instead, I put together a 35 page packet with all their reading, phonics, grammar, spelling, writing, math, science, and social studies that includes links to their textbooks that read to them and links to videos of all the lessons they would've learned in class. An incredibly frustrating experience as the district leaders don't know what they are doing. Thank god for some college online teaching experience I have that made this process a whole lot easier.

My son's school district has said, take an extra week of break, we are currently training teachers, and are going to put optional work online starting next Monday.

Wife's a teacher and her superintendent said that this is like learning to fly a plane after you're already in the air.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom