Copags smell and color question. (1 Viewer)

SendThatStack

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
Does the burnt plastic smell of copags ever go away? Also I noticed that a lot of the red color bled off onto the sides of the cards and onto my hands, so much that when I washed my hands you could see the color in the sink.

I used to use a lot of Copag setups in the early 2000’s and just broke out a deck a few weeks ago. Didn’t notice any offensive odor.

As for bleeding I did see this many years ago but only after the cards were heavily used then put away for a long period of time. The back of the cards would bleed onto the front of the others in the stack. Had to throw them away. However I never noticed this while they were in use. You may have gotten some kind of defective set up.

I buy copags and the smell goes away after about 4 games, also leave cover off when storing the cards , also place cards face up in box with weight on it so they stay flat... you get more lift out of them, I only buy the black and gold setups

I used to use a lot of Copag setups in the early 2000’s and just broke out a deck a few weeks ago. Didn’t notice any offensive odor.

As for bleeding I did see this many years ago but only after the cards were heavily used then put away for a long period of time. The back of the cards would bleed onto the front of the others in the stack. Had to throw them away. However I never noticed this while they were in use. You may have gotten some kind of defective set up.

It's not so bad that it bleeds onto the faces of the cards. But when you have them in a stack you can see the edges are all lightly colored.

Copags are still my go-to decks, driven primarily by the price. I do not detect any smell any more, nor have I ever had the cards bleed. They do fade with use, and that color goes somewhere, but I have not noticed it on other cards nor in the sink during bathroom breaks.

I have had to throw away several setups of Copags over the years for the bleed issue. Always as described above. I actually just pitched one last week but they had seen fairly heavy use. To me when the color bleeds they also have a strong plastic/chemical odor: All the ones I have thrown out were old, some I have no idea of prior history because I bought them used years ago. I am still a big Copag fan and nothing lasts forever.

The smell to me is similar to an electrical fire or burning wires. It goes away after a few weeks.

The biggest issue I have is this. But it's less noticeable on the lace backs

I've had issues with the bleed in the past as well. I just called Copag and they were great about replacing them.

This was years ago. Don't know if its the same now.... Haven't had that issue since.

Copag color loss and transfer is the #1 reason I initially started looking for suitable replacement plastic cards, years ago. Never went back.

Among several others, I tried Kem (fail - warping issues, expensive), Modiano (fail - too stiff), Gemaco Star (fail - too slick, warping issues), Piatnik (excellent, hard-to-find), Gemaco Superflex (excellent, expensive), Bicycle Prestige (excellent, affordable), Desjgn (excellent, reasonably priced), and Fournier (excellent, hard-to-find).

I have a lot of other brands and types (some decent, others not-so-decent), but my current go-to set-ups are Prestige and Desjgn, both in bridge size with jumbo index.

Last edited:
You can find Cartamundi CCPs for very cheap on Amazon. They are sometimes as low as $9 a setup. They feel EXACTLY like Gemaco Superflex but aren’t as horrifyingly ugly. They also have not taken a bow like my expensive and hard to source set of Superflex cards....Which happened after the first night of use.

At the same price point as Copag, I would go that direction. They are far preferable to me than everything else at $15 or less.

Seems to go away after a couple weeks. Initially it's a very strong odor though, I'm with you there. I had a particularly strong pack one time, I left the cards scattered on the table for a week. Seemed to help.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom