Copag vs Kem vs Modiano Da Vinci (3 Viewers)

Copags suck, KEMs are ok but not all they’re hyped up to be. I don’t have any experience with Modiano, but I’m a huge fan of @desjgn cards, and I’d say Bicycle Prestige are your best bang for your buck cards. They hold up well, feel good and are readily available at good prices.

You are going to get a lot of varying opinions. Generally Copags are at the bottom of opinion, Modiano near the middle and KEM (although opinions are polorized) near the top. Other cards that get high praise here are Design, Bicycle Prestige, Fournier, and Piatnik. The latter two being a bit more difficult to obtain.

Here is my order of preference
1. Bicycle Prestige
2. Modiano - I know the principle but just strictly on rating the cards...
3. Copag
4. Kem

Kems have a tendency to bow. I haven't used copag in a while but I sort of remember them having the worst floating top card of any plastic cards, but I might be confusing them with another brand.

I liked Modiano until they completely screwed over Desjgn playing cards. Now I wouldn't touch them if you paid me.

Give Desjgn a shot. They are generally well received. I like them.

Last edited:
Da Vinci > Copag > Kem is generally the consensus, notwithstanding recent events, and one I agree with. YMMV.

Imo :
Kem > Copag > Modiano.

Very disapointed with my last modiano, after 15-20 games cards started to be deformed.

Look after Fournier, great cards like the edition for ept.

I only have experience with KEM poker sized jumbo index and copag bridge size jumbo index. Both are far superior to paper cards. The copags do seem to "float" on occasion, but honestly, I'm not all that picky and I like them both. If I had to pick one, I would pick the KEM's. One way I have been converted is going with bridge cards instead of poker size.

Kems are great. You just have to put them back in their case immediately after playing so they dont warp

I Bought modiano/davincis because of the rave reviews on here. I have to say I was largely unimpressed. They are very stiff plasticy feeling cards.

Copag hate is a bit over the top IMO. I only used them back when it was just them and Kem but they aren’t THAT bad. I still own several new sets that I haven’t used. The artwork is second ugliest to Gemaco. They also bleed after heavy use and seem to be more prone to creasing.

The feel of Kem can’t be matched. You need to store them with a dealer button on top to stop warping. But other cards warp as well including Gemaco Superflex.

Desjgn are very close second to Kem in feel but way more beautiful in design.

Comes down to your preference

Personally I like bicycle prestige more than any other plastic card I’ve played with. Cards feel crisp and substantial (which I like) and glide well on felt. On the other side of the spectrum I played with Desijn Modianos and although they are fantastic cards, they are very soft (flimsy isn’t the right word but they have a lot of give) and I disliked the font used for face cards.

There isn’t one best deck for cards (printing blemishes and quality control notwithstanding)
Just what is the most appealing to you

I’m going to be one of the odd ones who like Copags. At our home game they are the most liked as well. I always provide the cards and I rotate what I bring. I like Desjgn. Not one of our regulars do. Everyone comments on how slick they are. I like Modiano’s and most everyone else does. At least they don’t complain about them. The only Da Vinci I have are bridge size and nobody likes those except for me. By far Copags are the most well liked. And honestly, I like them a lot also.
Probably depends on you and what your doing. There is not a single person out of the 20 or so regular people I play with that gives a rats ass about chips or cards except for me. And I don’t have enough of either to be a snob. I break out my RHC Horseshoe Cleveland’s for a tourney and I’m giddy about it. And any of the cards you listed I’m way happy with and love to break out whenever possible.

Your crew ever use potato slices for chips?

I’m going to be one of the odd ones who like Copags. At our home game they are the most liked as well. I always provide the cards and I rotate what I bring. I like Desjgn. Not one of our regulars do. Everyone comments on how slick they are. I like Modiano’s and most everyone else does. At least they don’t complain about them. The only Da Vinci I have are bridge size and nobody likes those except for me. By far Copags are the most well liked. And honestly, I like them a lot also.
Probably depends on you and what your doing. There is not a single person out of the 20 or so regular people I play with that gives a rats ass about chips or cards except for me. And I don’t have enough of either to be a snob. I break out my RHC Horseshoe Cleveland’s for a tourney and I’m giddy about it. And any of the cards you listed I’m way happy with and love to break out whenever possible.

Matt,

I know you have great taste in chips, but you better not let those newly acquired beauties seethe felt with Copags! I don't know why, but I am a major snob when it comes to cards, and I just don't like Copags. Put those Desjgns into play with your newbies!

Matt,

I know you have great taste in chips, but you better not let those newly acquired beauties seethe felt with Copags! I don't know why, but I am a major snob when it comes to cards, and I just don't like Copags. Put those Desjgns into play with your newbies!

Haha!! Out of respect for you because you dug in deep and let some of those chips move to Idaho, I will seriously honor that request. :)

Current favs I own in order of preference
  1. Desjgn
  2. Faded Spade
  3. Davinci
  4. Copaq
  5. Kem
Note in the olympics, only the top 3 get a medal . . .

Modiano can eat a dick.

1. Designs
2. Piatnik
3. KEM
4. Copag
Then Paper cards
Then Modiano who still sucks ass!

I like Fournier and Da Vinci. Bicycle Prestige is a good value, but I wouldn't list them among my top picks. I am not as impressed with Piatnik's as others.

People seem very happy with their cards from Desjgn, but I don't have any experience playing with them. IMO, they have great eye appeal.

I like the feel of Copaq's, and they are easy to deal. The issue with Copaq is the colors fade quicker than their competitors, but they also cost less.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom