Convertible Dining/Poker Tables? (2 Viewers)

yoogK

High Hand
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I’m looking to get a nicer table for our home games and was really interested in getting a dining table that can convert to a poker table. I’ve seen a lot of different offerings from places like BBO that provide a table top that can be placed on the poker table when not in use. Any thoughts on these? I also found this: https://m.kmart.com/brunswick-2-in-1-poker-table-texas/p-SPM14385888110. Where u flip the table for dining and flip back for poker. Anyone have any experience with any of these types of tables? Thanks in advance.

Two general options here:

1) Use your existing dining table and put on a poker felt topper when needed. Downsides can be finding a poker felt topper that you like, as well as one that conforms relatively well to the shape/dimensions of your existing table. Upside is low cost.

2) Get a primary poker table that has some sort of top you can put on. Downsides can be high expense and the logistics of taking the topper off and on before and after use. Upside is you can customize however you want.

A sort-of "third" option would be to use a good poker table as the base, but instead of a fitted topper, use a relatively thick (1/2", 5/8") rectangular acrylic or other Plexiglas-type board that can be placed upon your poker table and covered with a nice cloth. Ideally you would have a small padded strut or column underneath the center of the acrylic board so that it's not just resting on the rail.

As always, I would refer you to our good friend @T_Chan, who does great quality work with table builds that blend dining and poker functions. For this type of table, don't skimp on the quality of the legs - this is furniture.

In my personal opinion, the best option is to get a permanent poker table with a dining table cover that sits on top of the poker table. Why? Because it's the most functional. It acts as a dining table 95% of the time, probably more. When you want to play poker, you lift off the top, move it into another room or just lean it against a wall. When you're done playing poker, put the topper back on and nobody's the wiser.

The con: Dining table covers are heavy. Taking it off and putting it back on is a 2 person job. This isn't usually an issue though, since whenever you're playing poker it's with other people. When the first person comes, you ask them to help you remove the top. Before the last person leaves, ask them to help you put it back on.

The other con: Expensive. As always, with anything, you get what you pay for. I cannot in good conscience recommend buying a poker table from Kmart, you'll probably be fixing it all the time and then replacing it within a year or two. I've got a bunch of examples of nice convertible dining table covers here.

I also found this: https://m.kmart.com/brunswick-2-in-1-poker-table-texas/p-SPM14385888110. Where u flip the table for dining and flip back for poker. Anyone have any experience with any of these types of tables?
No, but I'd be very wary of this particular one, for a couple of reasons.

First, it's from K-Mart, not exactly known as a bastion for high-quality poker tables (or dining tables, for that matter).

Second, I'm not seeing how that table would stay in place when used for poker (no obvious connections between the opposite-side wood surface and the table legs), or how it would not cause damage/dents to the poker side surface and underlying foam (unless there isn't any, also bad) when configured for dining and the poker side down on the table leg supports. Unless the design utilizes a complete 6" oval on top of the legs, which the poker table then straddles when face down.... which still doesn't account for how it stays in place when the poker side is face-up and in use (and the wood side is face down and unrestricted from sliding around).

Talk to @T_Chan - he's the table building master around here. I'd be comfortable with any solution he offered.

Two general options here:

1) Use your existing dining table and put on a poker felt topper when needed. Downsides can be finding a poker felt topper that you like, as well as one that conforms relatively well to the shape/dimensions of your existing table. Upside is low cost.

2) Get a primary poker table that has some sort of top you can put on. Downsides can be high expense and the logistics of taking the topper off and on before and after use. Upside is you can customize however you want.

A sort-of "third" option would be to use a good poker table as the base, but instead of a fitted topper, use a relatively thick (1/2", 5/8") rectangular acrylic or other Plexiglas-type board that can be placed upon your poker table and covered with a nice cloth. Ideally you would have a small padded strut or column underneath the center of the acrylic board so that it's not just resting on the rail.

As always, I would refer you to our good friend @T_Chan, who does great quality work with table builds that blend dining and poker functions. For this type of table, don't skimp on the quality of the legs - this is furniture.

Thank you so much for the detailed feedback. I’m leaning towards the second or third option. I’ve tried the felt topper and it just didn’t feel right.

No, but I'd be very wary of this particular one, for a couple of reasons.

First, it's from K-Mart, not exactly known as a bastion for high-quality poker tables (or dining tables, for that matter).

Second, I'm not seeing how that table would stay in place when used for poker (no obvious connections between the opposite-side wood surface and the table legs), or how it would not cause damage/dents to the poker side surface and underlying foam (unless there isn't any, also bad) when configured for dining and the poker side down on the table leg supports. Unless the design utilizes a complete 6" oval on top of the legs, which the poker table then straddles when face down.... which still doesn't account for how it stays in place when the poker side is face-up and in use (and the wood side is face down and unrestricted from sliding around).

Talk to @T_Chan - he's the table building master around here. I'd be comfortable with any solution he offered.
I actually saw this table being sold on amazon and i think Brunswick makes it. Not sure if that adds any credibility but yea I thought it was interesting. T_chan seems to have quite the following. I’ll have to reach out. Thank you!

Hi everyone,

I’m looking to get a nicer table for our home games and was really interested in getting a dining table that can convert to a poker table. I’ve seen a lot of different offerings from places like BBO that provide a table top that can be placed on the poker table when not in use. Any thoughts on these? I also found this: https://m.kmart.com/brunswick-2-in-1-poker-table-texas/p-SPM14385888110. Where u flip the table for dining and flip back for poker. Anyone have any experience with any of these types of tables? Thanks in advance.

I have the X2 Mini from BBO Poker Tables.
X2 Mini.jpg
X2 Mini 2.jpg
X2 Mini 4.JPG
X2 Mini 5.jpg

I Love it. I went with the suited speed cloth for the playing surface. Cards slide magnificently on that surface. BBO offers quality gaming suede as an option too which they tell me is more desirable if you're going to have a custom graphic printed on the playing surface. The rail is thick and forgiving while leaning on it during long sessions. I also ordered six BBO chairs to match the table and those are super comfy. With the dining top off the table seats 8 players quite comfortably. Seating for 9 is doable and 10 gets kind of cramped. If I do have ten players I just leave the dining top on and seating 10 isn't a problem. Actually, now that I have the fantastic PCF table topper pictured I more often than not leave the dining top on regardless because I like that topper THAT much. Be advised though, while the dining top is quality made and finished beautifully it is kind of heavy and unwieldy so you'll need two people two remove it and put it back on.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom