Conversation Starter Game (2 Viewers)

Roslindale

Straight
Reaction score
I am going to introduce a conversation starter game into my small stakes cash game.

Has anyone done this before? What was your experience? Any best practice tips?

I bought two different conversation starter games. One thought is that if you win two hands in a row, you must answer a question from the card. Another is, each person gets a conversation starter card and must use it during the night while on the button... perhaps when a timer goes off, the button asks a question.
20221119_105938.jpg

I hope most of the cards are about religion, politics, economy, abortion, global warming, the strength of a nation's boarders and the effects it has on its society, inner city crime, if Pinapple belongs on Pizza and the greatest question of all time "is a hotdog a sammich?"

All of these should go over really well and keep the mood light and happy at the table! Lmao

I guess I am old school and prefer to allow "table talk" if any to take its own shape... I would be very picky on what cards I would "allow" at a poker game. Remeber we all come from different walks of life with a common intrest, sometimes it is not a great idea to bring up other opinions that could effect your future player pool.

Ben

I hope most of the cards are about religion, politics, economy, abortion, global warming, the strength of a nation's boarders and the effects it has on its society, inner city crime, if Pinapple belongs on Pizza and the greatest question of all time "is a hotdog a sammich?"

All of these should go over really well and keep the mood light and happy at the table! Lmao

I guess I am old school and prefer to allow "table talk" if any to take its own shape... I would be very picky on what cards I would "allow" at a poker game. Remeber we all come from different walks of life with a common intrest, sometimes it is not a great idea to bring up other opinions that could effect your future player pool.

Ben
The only acceptable answer to both of these questions is, of course, yes.

/conversation

Good point @Ben8257 . I think screening the questions is a good idea. Don't need to have invited guest be offended.
I was making a joke with that first part and that was obviously a bit drastic, but I absolutely agree you should screen the cards. "Opening the door" to conversation can give heavily opinionated people the floor to bend and constrew a conversation in a direction that pleases them. Remember "all roads lead to Rome" something totally off topic could always be brought back around to a political agenda for an obnoxiously opinionated individual.

I might even consider a disclosure ahead of time "folks I want to try this but we are NOT going to take this into political directions, PERIOD!" I know that's hard, again not sure the whole thing is a great Idea but I don't blame you for trying something new... just tread lightly my friend!

It’s hard enough to get people to shut up and focus on the game. But if you really need a kick starter real poker players use alcohol. A couple shots per player and your wife will be screaming from the top of the basement stairs telling everyone to shut up. But yeah I guess games are good too………..
43E4E40F-CDC4-4138-8DDE-19516666E9DD.gif

I would bash this idea but I like @Roslindale and he’s a great host, so I’m willing to give the befit of the doubt.
I guess my question would be - how often does somebody win two hands in a row, at a full ring? I’ve never paid attention, but I’m guessing it doesn’t happen too often.

So many good points...definitely effecting the way I would introduce this to the game.

I hate slow play... so that I'd a real concern. We've filtered out a few based on a proclivity to lack of awareness.

Definitely don't want a school room/instructor feel going on. We're all adults, I think we can figure out how to have a good conversation.

With that in mind.... and reading these incitful comments..

I think just have a card or two at each seat would be the way to go. Giving each the option of using at thier discretion and timing.

I still think the idea can work well. Table talk and comeradarie is the prize of a good game.

Hmmmm….. let’s compare meet up records - goldfish down $1000s, @MatB - biggest winner maybe? :unsure: #justfollowthemoney.

I was -$600 for the whole trip.

#nothappy.

between you and @Hor-nit in lockdown mode, im surprised that you both even get invited to games.

If you're having trouble with people socializing, that would mean that more than likely this type of a game isn't going to go over well with most of the players.

I find the best way to organically get people to talk, is to take an interest in them, and ask them leading / personal questions, or follow up on things they talk about asking more questions about the topic. Sometimes I'll use what I know about them and another guest that have something in common to jump start convo.

If I was to try to use this game, I would keep the cards at my seat and try to introduce them myself without the game aspect.

If you're having trouble with people socializing, that would mean that more than likely this type of a game isn't going to go over well with most of the players.

I find the best way to organically get people to talk, is to take an interest in them, and ask them leading / personal questions, or follow up on things they talk about asking more questions about the topic. Sometimes I'll use what I know about them and another guest that have something in common to jump start convo.

If I was to try to use this game, I would keep the cards at my seat and try to introduce them myself without the game aspect.
Or just say their PCF screen name over and over in various derivatives.

I agree with you, but @MatB and I discussed and concluded that you don’t drink at the poker table. Too much money to be won lol.
I was just having this conversation last night. Home game and we were playing, teaching some friends how to play/basics of ABC. Nothing crazy but it was my house and a few other degens were drinking as well, prop bets for drinks.

If Im playing for decent money I'll be careful but 5cent/10cent requires it. Friend that plays too seriously kept trying to bluff me for a whopping $5. Gosh, he watches poker and studies voraciously but hes missing the plot.

I was just having this conversation last night. Home game and we were playing, teaching some friends how to play/basics of ABC. Nothing crazy but it was my house and a few other degens were drinking as well, prop bets for drinks.

If Im playing for decent money I'll be careful but 5cent/10cent requires it. Friend that plays too seriously kept trying to bluff me for a whopping $5. Gosh, he watches poker and studies voraciously but hes missing the plot.
Drinking and poker are a great combo imo. It’s when I’ve had the most fun at the poker table. Of course, there are problems associated with it. Like when I doubled someone up last week after having a few drinks and forgetting what game we were playing lol.

I think you just need to have a heart to heart with that friend. The whole point of home game poker is for you to enjoy the game and for others to enjoy your company.

Drinking and poker are a great combo imo. It’s when I’ve had the most fun at the poker table. Of course, there are problems associated with it. Like when I doubled someone up last week after having a few drinks and forgetting what game we were playing lol.

I think you just need to have a heart to heart with that friend. The whole point of home game poker is for you to enjoy the game and for others to enjoy your company.
You're 100% right. It was an awesome atmosphere for everyone but him; he came with his wife and it wasnt the money bothering him, I just think he obsesses about the strategy and he was surrounded by people just playing for fun on a Friday. Newbies, gamblers, and a few sharks who knew how to play that type of table.

I think part of it was embarrassment, he'd been telling me he feels bad taking peoples money and its too easy against new people but kept getting his $5 felted. Making all-in pressure plays vs someone who thinks their pocket 9s are gorgeous and will never let them go. His wife is kind of new and went all in, her JJ vs my AQs and I hit an Ace on the flop. Really frustrated him to the point that it was awkward, she played fine.

View attachment 1026102
If u ever want to give up your job as a nit, you could be a very good comedian.
I just realized I mistakenly responded to my own post instead of @MatB post, and I am completely sober. This is a perfect example of why I don’t drink at the poker table. Can you imagine what would happen after a few drinks?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom