Condition 1 Brand and Pelican Air Cases (1 Viewer)

rowlin

Full House
Reaction score
I noticed both of these brands/lines for the first time on Amazon yesterday while doing some Black Friday shopping.

Anyone have one, seen one, or know anything about them?

The Condition 1 Cases are only waterproof to 3 feet for 30 minutes, and are probably not as indestructible as a Pellie, but I’m not sure I plan to be reckless enough to really need the additional protection.

The Pelican Air Cases are a lighter-weight line of Pelican cases, which seems like it might be of interest for heavy things like chip sets.

So, uh, yeah - to bump my own degenerate ghosted thread with an update, of sorts.

I haven't seen much other mention of Condition 1 (Royal Case Company) Pelican knockoffs, or - more surprisingly - the Pelican Air cases, in other threads.

For all I know, the Sam's Club offering is way cheaper and better than Condition 1, and maybe Pelican Air are too pricey for most of our case budgets or too new to have picked up much traction yet. I think all of the Sam's Clubs are branded as Walmarts in my neck of the woods, and do not seem to run the half-off special on their line like they do elsewhere.

At any rate, I had some free Amazon bucks and used 48 of them with the "15%, up to $15, off a camera-related item" promotion to order one of these:

RCC 801 listing.JPG

It appears to be most similar in size (listed interior dimensions) to the Pelican 1500. A friend has a couple 1500 cases that he uses for digital camera stuff, so I am looking forward to seeing the two side-by-side.

It was really tempting to snag one of these for $124, but as beautiful and awesome as they are... would be a bit overkill for me right now:

PelicanAir1525.JPG

A few initial pics of the Condition 1 #801 case after my first experience with Pick-and-Pluck foam. The perforation remnants still need to be trimmed, and I may glue a couple of the cubes that were partially detached from their neighbors during setup, but overall the process was pretty simple and painless. If this ten-thumbed neanderthal can do it, so can you.

It is configured to hold 500 or 800 chips in the larger cutout, and 300 chips (or 200 chips plus cards/buttons/etc.) in the smaller cutout, for a total of 1100 chips max - or 1000 chips plus cards. It is worthwhile to note the product page shows 3 layers of P&P foam, but it only comes with two (2"-ish) cubed layers.

I'd seriously advise against testing its claim of waterproof-ness, and am not sure how the hinges, latches, handle, or other potential weak spots will stand up over time compared to a Pelican case, but even so - I could not be more pleased with it for my intended purpose.

The Condition 1 #801 case that I have is most similar in size to the Pelican 1500, which I have seen in person but not side-by-side with this one yet. The Pelicans are, of course, nicer cases overall, and definitely worth the extra cost for really high-end gear.

The Member's Mark cases appear to be the least expensive option for these types of cases, and people around here seem very pleased with them. I have never seen one in person so I can't speak to how this case compares to its 20" Member's Mark counterpart.

The company that makes these is called Royal Case Company (never heard of it) and while the case doesn't have a ton of reviews on Amazon yet, the reviews it does have appear to be pretty solid, and - according to camelcamelcamel - it has been offered lately at its lowest price point since hitting the market. A final note of caution, however, would be that not all of their case sizes appear to be as competitively priced as this one, which itself has been offered at a higher price point in the past.

Anyway, before this turns in to some sort of sales pitch or product review, teh pronz - v1:

7D99BF2D-A09D-4804-8E08-9273ED2CD93B.jpeg
A1948121-F7D6-4F70-9032-E8A4190F4561.jpeg
2EDC3EDF-D90B-4460-A710-53032DB783F5.jpeg
2A67525B-372D-4AB1-9448-6408DC745FD8.jpeg
75B8B675-D18A-42A1-A24E-AB8D195EBA11.jpeg
9AA301D3-F25E-4D30-93F3-878C9C058AA5.jpeg
E559F357-E394-421C-970D-37DE70B1ED91.jpeg
8CC3423B-7F3E-48F1-A151-BC37922CEC62.jpeg

TLDR - I love this case. It is not as nice as a Pelican 1500, or as affordable as a discounted Member's Mark 20" case, but may be a viable alternative for some.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom