Comparisons, and other questions (1 Viewer)

KHarp1

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm a retread, coming back after 12-15 years away, and I'm looking to get another cash set. Probably 700-800 chips, .25/$1/$5/$25/$100 for a 10 person table. We use ceramics in the tournament set, but, they are owned by someone else. I'm thinking I want to go "clay" for the cash set. So, now that I've made it longer than it needed to be, here are some random thoughts/questions:

1) How do the CPC chips compare to a Paulson? Feel, shuffle ability, wear? I reference Paulson because I have experience with them.

2) How long can I expect CPC chips to hold up using them a few times a month?

3) Would ceramics last longer, better way to go for durability?

4) How much more is the initial cost of a custom CPC clay set versus a quality custom ceramic set?

I am aware that clay and ceramic are general terms and not the actual product content.

Thanks ahead of time for all the info. I'm blown away at how far this forum has come since I was last in here, and, the incredible amount of info available.

1) How do the CPC chips compare to a Paulson? Feel, shuffle ability, wear? I reference Paulson because I have experience with them.

They feel different but just as good as unleaded paulsons imo. Big difference between different CPC molds. Paulson mostly wins over CPC in the colors and spots department. Get a mold and a color sample set if you get serious about getting a set.

No reason why they shouldn’t last a lifetime and more.

Since durability isn’t really an issue the reasons to choose ceramics over clays would be price and the ability to customize the full chip surface.

4) How much more is the initial cost of a custom CPC clay set versus a quality custom ceramic set?

Depends on choice of mold and complexity of spots:

http://www.classicpokerchips.com/pokerchips/realclay/pricelist.htm

So I'm a retread, coming back after 12-15 years away, and I'm looking to get another cash set. Probably 700-800 chips, .25/$1/$5/$25/$100 for a 10 person table. We use ceramics in the tournament set, but, they are owned by someone else. I'm thinking I want to go "clay" for the cash set. So, now that I've made it longer than it needed to be, here are some random thoughts/questions:

I am aware that clay and ceramic are general terms and not the actual product content.

Thanks ahead of time for all the info. I'm blown away at how far this forum has come since I was last in here, and, the incredible amount of info available.
1. Most will tell you they feel very different, but just comparing against compression molded chips. CPCs fell harder, but that is only an issue for those that don’t like it. I love the feel of both Paulsons and CPCs. Get lists of samples of different CPC molds, as they differ in feel.

2. At that play rate, put them in your will, because other generations will enjoy them too. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

3. Ceramics may be able to take more abuse, but in normal play, both CPCs and ceramics with outlive us all.

4. CPCs start at around $2 with the majority in the $3+ range, but you’re welcome to go higher if you want lots of colors/spot patterns. Custom ceramics from BRPro poker are around $1 each in quantity, but a bit more for edge alignment.

The general opinion here is that you have to have at least one of each 'brand' :)
I prefer Clay chips, Pauslon or CPC.
edge alignment
For ceramics that imitate clay chips, you need to align the edge to simulate clay chips (for example, Valentino's chips from BRPro)

What does edge alignment mean?
Here is a picture of chips without edge alignment. You can pay extra for the edge spots to line up with faces.
kotr_stacksphoto_a643c2f2-9a0b-432c-9f22-c78a6b9f7a21_1200x.png

For ceramics that imitate clay chips, you need to align the edge to simulate clay chips (for example, Valentino's chips from BRPro)

The edge spot needs to line up with the spot on the face. When making a ceramic chip the edge is printed and applied separately from the face. You want the spots on both to line up otherwise they don’t look as good.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom