Coloring Up (2 Viewers)

shorticus

4 of a Kind
Tourney Director
Supporter
Reaction score
I finally had my home game (it was postponed by Tropical Storm Barry). Since I had enough chips to do so, I made a conscious effort to color up the players regularly. It kept the stacks relatively smaller, but it kept change available (not needed but cool to get more denoms in play) and space free on the table.

Do you guys color up in your home games? It’s typically a tourney thing, but I found it pretty useful.

I agree. I don't see the benefit in doing it in cash games.

I don't think there is much difference on "keeping change available" in the bank. It's more convenient to keep change on the table.

The one situation I could see is if I have to accommodate a buy in of an odd amount. Say someone wants to buy into a .25-.50 game for the last 23 in his wallet and the bank has already exhausted its quarters and singles. Then I would see coloring up some singles from a player with fives from the bank so I could complete that buy in.

Otherwise in any instance, it's seems easier to just keep all the change on the table instead of going out of your way to shuttle it too and from the back.

Never color up in a cash game, however re buys are introduced as higher denomination.
Maybe you are introducing too many low denomination in your starting stack?
Ie. if we play .25/.50 a starting stack could be 8/13/7 (demons .25/$1/$5) buy a rebuy is given on $5 chips only

Cash games are nicer if a stack looks like Poker After Dark :)

Tom20Dwan_Poker20After20Dark_AUG2015_Giron_8JG5670.jpg

Coloring-up in a cash game also has a negative effect on the game's action. Players are more willing to make/call bets when they have more physical chips in their possession.
Most people are less apt to call with a large denomination chip because they are hoarding them. Sometimes they save them as a floor to the amount they are willing to lose in a session.

Last edited:
Same as what is stated above.
I will start to color up chips when we are winding down just to make it easier to cash everyone out, but never in the meat & potatoes of the game.

Same as what is stated above.
I will start to color up chips when we are winding down just to make it easier to cash everyone out, but never in the meat & potatoes of the game.

I think there is an argument for doing this with early cash outs especially, just to try and keep smaller chips in play.

However, I don't know if this really saves that much effort at the end anyway, just moves some of the effort a little earlier.

Large chips make it too easy for people to see their profit. Which with many people has the negative effect of making them only play with their profit instead of their whole stack. And people don't generally like putting large chips into pots because it often means making change. If you run out of low value chips, then the next buy in gets larger demons and make change from the table.

Early on I used to like coloring up just cuz it was kinda fun to be the only person at the table with the higher denom chip. Now I just want infinite stacks. I've got 650 workhorse chips in my current cash set and I still want more.

I had 1 guy ask for a color up right after I took this picture. I would have been buying $5’s from him anyways for the next rebuy but it was definitely strange having some ask for a color up. I agree, the more chips on the table the better it is.

CEBFADAF-4815-4A3A-980C-52356D086240.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom