Colorblind Friendly Chips Rec (2 Viewers)

following.... genuinely curious what chip colours work best for those with colour blindness. I did not even consider this when developing my my custom sets

how do these chips fair for those with colour field challenges so that I am aware?

J0ghAVd.jpg

HBG5xDs.jpg

JZU1bxC.jpg
Personally, I'd be curious to see what a single $20 would look like in a stack of $5 (or vice versa). Other than that, I think it's pretty good.

The $25 looked odd to me at first because I cannot see the pink (?) spot in the top picture. To me, it looks like a 2-spot chip with spots at 3 o'clock and 6 o'clock. I can see it on the edge, though.

We have a number of colour challenged people in our league, so it's an ongoing concern. I'm working on a design for the next Cards Mold ceramic buy, and I've used the Coblis color blindness simulator a lot.

https://www.color-blindness.com/coblis-color-blindness-simulator/

But in general, you'll want bold vibrant colours that contrast, and a large denom doesn't hurt.

Re: the fun nites work well, but there are multiple versions (Paulson, BCC) that use different colors. They don't always match. I've lucked out, and the set I use works well. But I have a ceramic set as well with different edge spots per denom in case I know a player with severe color issues is attending.

That simulator looks like a good idea.

We had one guy from work in our Friday game 10 years ago who was red-green colorblind. He had trouble with our faux clays so I put together a mixed set of BCC chips with denoms, and alternated them with some Bahamias. Those seemed to work better.

If you want to design colors and edgespots that work best for you, the ability to customize ceramic chips might be your best option. Our site vendors ABC/BR Pro Poker and SunFly have earned a lot of praise for their good service and quality chips. Each set of Paulsons looks different and getting what you want is going to be hit and miss. I will add that, in my experience, I think the Milanos seem to be better than other China Clays, but their colors and uniform edgespots might not work for your situation.

If I were designing a set with colorblindness in mind, I would do simple inlays with large, easy-to read denominations, with varied edgespots that can be easily distinguished from each other. For instance, this set has no repeated spot patterns.
View attachment 695645

However, these three chips might be hard to distinguish in pots or stacks if colorblindness is an issue.
View attachment 695646
I'm trying to decide right between just minimizing the colors or leaning your direction with some type of really distinct patterning, going as far as possibly the higher "level" spots on CPC that could make the pieces really different from each other. Thank you for the input, a lot to consider....

While I'm at it, I have been playing around with the CPC tool and I can't figure out how to get multiple chip designs in one image like you have them. Any hints?

I'm trying to decide right between just minimizing the colors or leaning your direction with some type of really distinct patterning, going as far as possibly the higher "level" spots on CPC that could make the pieces really different from each other. Thank you for the input, a lot to consider....

While I'm at it, I have been playing around with the CPC tool and I can't figure out how to get multiple chip designs in one image like you have them. Any hints?

If you've built a set (left click, and save as new on each chip design), click on "Save as PNG" on the left-hand side. You will have an option for "All Chips". Click on that, and you should get something like

1620522544047.png

or

1620522685131.png

That second one could be a problem from a color blindness perspective if you happen to have someone with monochrome vision.

1620522945255.png

Last edited:
Here are the mixed cash chips you were asking for and the $25 chips. could have been sunlightin the photo above as the cellophane wrapper was still on the roll. the spots are at 12 and 3 pink then 6 and 9 with yellow. Obvously if flipped over the spot location is flipped. the 25cent chips in the $5 stack on the right seems much more obvious in person than the camera picked up
20210508_212528.jpg
20210508_212655.jpg

If you've built a set (left click, and save as new on each chip design), click on "Save as PNG" on the left-hand side. You will have an option for "All Chips". Click on that, and you should get something like

View attachment 695810

or

View attachment 695811

That second one could be a problem from a color blindness perspective if you happen to have someone with monochrome vision.

View attachment 695813
Ya if I go the spotted instead of solid route I'd probably do something like the top set because I've always liked set where the number of spots increases with the denom, just not sure how messy the chips would get because I'm thinking about a bunch of denoms.

following.... genuinely curious what chip colours work best for those with colour blindness. I did not even consider this when developing my my custom sets

how do these chips fair for those with colour field challenges so that I am aware?

J0ghAVd.jpg

HBG5xDs.jpg

JZU1bxC.jpg
To me the $1 and $20 are basically the same color, but the yellow and spot difference helps.

I find the red edge spots on the interloper chip on the middle stack hard to compare to the brown, honestly you've also got pretty bright lighting which helps. Overall I would say you'd probably be fine for me at least.

I'm realizing right now that a cali set would really help with the potential for vibrant colors and I actually love the blue 1 yellow 5 so I've been messing around with something like this for $0.5, $1, $5, $20, and $100. For one day in, I'm kind of happy with most of the spots except the $100s. Got a color sample from CPC coming in which will help a bunch. One thing I'm worried about is that I always find myself really likely combinations of colors that are very high contrast (orange + purple, etc) that others will often say clash really badly but that makes things like edge spots much easier to see. Its going to be fun finding a good balance. That's part of why I like the blurple over an actual blue (or at least, I think I will based on the digital colors) because its just so bright and distinct from the pink and black. Also bigger fan of pink than red.

Cali Take4.png

One thing I'm worried about is that I always find myself really likely combinations of colors that are very high contrast (orange + purple, etc) that others will often say clash really badly but that makes things like edge spots much easier to see. Its going to be fun finding a good balance.

Balance schmalance. Forget those guys. Get chips that look great to you. Nobody else is gonna think twice about your chips no matter how good or bad they look. Nobody but you (and us) will appreciate what you (and we) go through to get nice chips on the table, the lousy ingrates.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom