Color identification thread (pron?) (2 Viewers)

Marius L

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
I know there are many on here that are curious about colors on certain chips. I am hoping we can use this thread as a collective place to ask and answer questions about chip colors.

As I see it there are three different uses that both fit in this thread: asking about common chips, like fantasy Paulsons, where someone with a color sample set and the same chip can compare and answer with a picture (or just write the colors if they know them)

Like this example (taken from another thread, and full credit goes to @Eloe2000. I can remove if you want me to, but it's a great example.)
Screenshot_20201125-104349.png

The other use is if someone has a chip or number of chips they want to know the color of, but the chip is either very rare or unique (for example monogrammed solids), so the only option is an educated guess based on a well lit picture. I'll post one like this to get us started, and hope other will post other chips they are curious about.

(a good tip when photographing is to use other known chips as a reference point, and to take the picture next to the window in natural light, but outside of direct sunlight, to get the most correct color. And while I know it's still impossible to say for certain what color a chip like this is, I know many can make some real good educated guess.)
20201125114633__MG_6866.JPG

20201125121517__MG_6871.JPG

It looks almost identical to the Cali bell 50c. Anyone know what color that is? The solid on the right is arc yellow.

The third usage is simply posting color identification pron in general here.

Last edited:
I started something like this on chiptalk, good idea. I think Tommy's poker chip data base lists colors also

I know there are many on here that are curious about colors on certain chips. I am hoping we can use this thread as a collective place to ask and answer questions about chip colors.

As I see it there are three different uses that both fit in this thread: asking about common chips, like fantasy Paulsons, where someone with a color sample set and the same chip can compare and answer with a picture (or just write the colors if they know them)

Like this example (taken from another thread, and full credit goes to @Eloe2000. I can remove if you want me to, but it's a great example.)
View attachment 579922

The other use is if someone has a chip or number of chips they want to know the color of, but the chip is either very rare or unique (for example monogrammed solids), so the only option is an educated guess based on a well lit picture. I'll post one like this to get us started, and hope other will post other chips they are curious about.

(a good tip when photographing is to use other known chips as a reference point, and to take the picture next to the window in natural light, but outside of direct sunlight, to get the most correct color. And while I know it's still impossible to say for certain what color a chip like this is, I know many can make some real good educated guess.)
View attachment 579924
View attachment 579932

It looks almost identical to the Cali bell 50c. Anyone know what color that is? The solid on the right is arc yellow.

The third usage is simply posting color identification pron in general here.
I believe the horseshoe cinncy sec. hundred spot is desert flower, not dolphin blue

THC Symbols! Wow! Sorry for the hijack, but I'd love to know more about those triangles and fleur de lis. Where'd you get them? Do you know anything about their history?

Pre chip scrub and oil.
PXL_20201125_163928882.jpg

Post chip scrub and oil
PXL_20201125_164621937.jpg

Results, inconclusive.

The chip I have might be faded. First pic I would have guessed sherbet or apricot but after cleaning and oiling I can't be sure. Could be a faded sunrise or a less vibrant peach? I'm sure the colors aren't quite the same as they used to be.

Pre chip scrub and oil.
View attachment 580116

Post chip scrub and oil
View attachment 580120

Results, inconclusive.

The chip I have might be faded. First pic I would have guessed sherbet or apricot but after cleaning and oiling I can't be sure. Could be a faded sunrise or a less vibrant peach? I'm sure the colors aren't quite the same as they used to be.
Awesome, thanks. Used chips is really a mess to identify accurately. But appreciate the help!

Pre chip scrub and oil.
View attachment 580116

Post chip scrub and oil
View attachment 580120

Results, inconclusive.

Try a magic eraser to see if there's something nice under a layer of reacted material?

THC Symbols! Wow! Sorry for the hijack, but I'd love to know more about those triangles and fleur de lis. Where'd you get them? Do you know anything about their history?

I honestly have no clue what these are. Picked them up on eBay a good while ago in a small lot with 21 of this color (20 triangles and 1 fleur de lis), and about 60 light-ish brown (maybe colon orange) with other symbols. I can post some pics of those tomorrow. They all have textured inlays, so probably pretty old. I was thinking that they were used for roulette, but that's just my guess.

Some of my Cal-Neva roulettes were the same colour. My only explanation is that perhaps modifications to the chip formula happened in later years (post early 80s).

My theory isn't a change in color/recipe but just that aging changes the color over time. I remember those used Peach Cal-Neva chips I returned to you that didn't really have much pop. However, the Peach color when new is absolutely vibrant. Hard to say with any certainty but based on what I saw with a used Peach roulette from Cal-Neva I just think that Peach fades over time. My money is that being an old Peach chip.

Its actually amazing how well nearly all those colors hold up as well as they do over decades of use.

My theory isn't a change in color/recipe but just that aging changes the color over time. I remember those used Peach Cal-Neva chips I returned to you that didn't really have much pop. However, the Peach color when new is absolutely vibrant. Hard to say with any certainty but based on what I saw with a used Peach roulette from Cal-Neva I just think that Peach fades over time. My money is that being an old Peach chip.

Its actually amazing how well nearly all those colors hold up as well as they do over decades of use.

I see what you mean. Reasonable theory. Likely due to breakdown over time of the organic compounds in the clay mix. The mineral portions would not degrade like that over non-geological time periods, but could be subject to reaction on the surface.

Here's the rest. Not as nice a color as the peaches. Maybe colon orange? It looks closest to the Gold River $5. (these are also used, so might be hard to say exactly which color)

20201126101712__MG_6885.JPG

20201126101642__MG_6884.JPG

Also here's a picture of all the different symbols
20201126101757__MG_6886.JPG

Can anyone help me identify the colours on a secondary Cleveland $500? Lavender, carrot and pumpkin?

HCL_500.jpg

Awesome! I was close then? :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

On another note, I'm sure I have seen that the HSI secondary $500 is listed as purple, but it appears to be a slightly darker purple. Any idea what colour that is?
I think it's an illusion due to the spot colours being so different. Think they are both purple.

20201201_085747.jpg

20201201_085731.jpg

I bought 50 "canary yellow" chips and since I strife to complete the rack I am wondering if there is another just plain "yellow" I have to be careful not to get my canary yellows mixed up with.

Is there another yellow besides arc yellow?

I bought 50 "canary yellow" chips and since I strife to complete the rack I am wondering if there is another just plain "yellow" I have to be careful not to get my canary yellows mixed up with.

Is there another yellow besides arc yellow?
"Yellow", "Daisy" and "Canary yellow" are all somewhat similar. "Arc yellow" is actually more orange, and will not be confused with the other three yellows.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom