Club Bingo inspired tribute set - CPC - Feedback Welcome (1 Viewer)

Nanook

Full House
Reaction score
I have been looking for a way to buy a set from CPC for roughly 20 years now. Lots of ideas I could use, but none ever really spoke to me on a personal level to be a "Forever Set". I'm not 100% this is either, but at least it would appeal to others too and probably could be sold down the road at somewhat less of a loss than a set of "Joe's Card Room" chips. I love the idea of an "Old School" looking set that is mine, but at the same time could be appreciated by anyone. I thought long and hard about something to do with our cabin or a place on the beach somewhere south or other common ideas too, but somehow they just never seemed all that great. In any case, I think I have come up with something I can live with and have been working with @TheOffalo for a little more than a month now. It is a set that is inspired by Club Bingo in Downtown Las Vegas. I like the design of the inlay that we have come up with and probably won't make changes unless someone has an idea that really speaks to me. I am pretty set on the DIASQR mold too, but the rest of it is somewhat all up for grabs. I want a "vintage" or "Old School" look as if it could be a real set from back in the day, but other than that lots of decisions are still to be made. Back then there was no standardization of base Colors, so that, Inserts, shaped or Round Inlays or a combination or Shaped and Round etc are all open for debate.

I have no idea how much work @TheOffalo wants or is willing to do, but I will say he has been great to work with in every way. His work has been focused on the inlay of course, but we went back and forth on quite a few things to get to where we are now. Every inlay is slightly different to mimic the old school hand drawn look of chips back in the day. You have to look really closely, but if you compare the spacing between letters on the "Club Poker" you will see it.

In any case, here are some pics of a few chips that inspired me/us so far and one set that I think is pretty good. I have been playing with the CPC chip design tool way too much and have many sets with different base colors and a raft of various inserts/edge spot styles etc. Like I said above, FEEDBACK WELCOME!

There are quite a few details that we can discuss here and I will bring some of them that I have thought about over the next few days/weeks etc. Anything is fair, but I'll start with Shaped Inlays or no. I can see an argument for both. On the NO side The original Club Bingo did not have shaped inlays, Price, size limitations & on the Yes side: They just look so dang cool. Still undecided on this...

I had a long discussion with David @ CPC about how close the artwork/text can be to the edge of the inlay without causing issues. This has a lot to do with my decision to use shaped inlays on some or on none of these. The size limitation when using shaped inlays quite small so I'm just not sure about the shaped inlays. Any advice on that particular issue and especially from those that have done shaped inlays with CPC would be appreciated. He told me that because of the heat and the extreme pressure that the inlays are hand punched out of a special material that would melt if he tried other methods of cutting them so that is why there is some variation in how they get cut. Going too close to the edge risks letters getting cut off. However, on my design as you can see some letters are closer to the edge than others so even if it did get pretty close most of the leters in the "Club Bingo" would not be affected. Obviously if the "Downtown Las Vegas - Nev." got too close it would get cut off.

I realize you’re going for an old school theme and classy non flashy colors (and I like it) but I can’t help feeling it needs a bit more contrast between some denoms, especially 100 to 500.

I also think shaped inlays are right for the theme.

I do like old school chip designs but I would make the entire thing more personalized. I would use whatever city you live in instead of Las Vegas. And “Club Poker” is way too generic of a name for my taste. Just my opinion but if it’s a forever set i think there’s more you could do.
E336840E-3AD8-4A86-BADA-1B1B5CB26E77.jpeg

I realize you’re going for an old school theme and classy non flashy colors (and I like it) but I can’t help feeling it needs a bit more contrast between some denoms, especially 100 to 500.

I also think shaped inlays are right for the theme.
I'm mostly likely stuck on the $100. Any suggestions for the $500? I'm wondering if I could do better with a different edge spot style on the $500 too...

.......I would make the entire thing more personalized. I would use whatever city you live in instead of Las Vegas. And “Club Poker” is way too generic of a name for my taste. Just my opinion but if it’s a forever set i think there’s more you could do.
I had considered using "my city" instead of Las Vegas. I may still do that, but I'm not 100% sure this is a forever set and that is at least part of the reason I like both Las Vegas and Club Poker rather than Bills Club and Topeka KS or what ever.

Lose the $500
I probably won't have a lot of these made, but a $500 is an excuse to have another chip just like a Non Denominated chip is another excuse to make another chip so even if I only have a barrel or two made, I probably will.

I do like old school chip designs but I would make the entire thing more personalized. I would use whatever city you live in instead of Las Vegas. And “Club Poker” is way too generic of a name for my taste. Just my opinion but if it’s a forever set i think there’s more you could do.
View attachment 1060051
That Steve's inlay is sick! Where is the thread on those?

@Nanook I like the overall design and theme, just would pick more contrasting colors between 5 and 25 denoms, perhaps red with blue spots?

I'm mostly likely stuck on the $100. Any suggestions for the $500? I'm wondering if I could do better with a different edge spot style on the $500 too...
I really like the $100. I think the $5 and $25 are too close and I would experiment with other base colors on the $25. The $500 looks off in that line-up, as well as too close to the base of the $100

I like it (I’m pro-vintage, naturally).

Of the two options, I prefer cents over the 25 (on the right). But the 25 may need to be a touch bigger to get the bottom visible.

Something’s off with the $25 for me. Not sure what it is- the rest are lovely. Maybe the 4D14? That’s a lot of spot.

I would ditch the $500, but I get your reasoning. How big does your game play? Will you ever use the $100?

I have tried to address several things that have been mentioned:
ND - Difficulty to read HS when having the line from the Half Pie running through the text, Slightly lighter color to try and lighten up the set overall
25c - Increased the size of the denomination. May still change this to 25¢, but for now I like the vintage look of the "Cents", Changed Spot Color
$1 & $5 - Switched base colors to have more differentiation between the 5 & 25
$500 - Switched to a base color that is more different from the $100 & to a simpler Insert pattern - more in line with the vintage look. One concern with doing this is that with the Base color and the inlay more similar the shaped inlay somewhat disappears so I am not sure I like that.

Comments: Better? Worse?

I have tried to address several things that have been mentioned:
ND - Difficulty to read HS when having the line from the Half Pie running through the text, Slightly lighter color to try and lighten up the set overall
25c - Increased the size of the denomination. May still change this to 25¢, but for now I like the vintage look of the "Cents", Changed Spot Color
$1 & $5 - Switched base colors to have more differentiation between the 5 & 25
$500 - Switched to a base color that is more different from the $100 & to a simpler Insert pattern - more in line with the vintage look. One concern with doing this is that with the Base color and the inlay more similar the shaped inlay somewhat disappears so I am not sure I like that.

Comments: Better? Worse?
I think it’s a big improvment. I like the switch of base colors of the $1/5. Now there’s plenty of contrast between neighboring denoms all they way up and including the $100.

I agree with you about the shaped inlay on the $500. Obv the effect is way more visible on the the $25/100. Also think the colors on the $500 are too close to the ones on the $25/100

I think it’s a big improvment. I like the switch of base colors of the $1/5. Now there’s plenty of contrast between neighboring denoms all they way up and including the $100.

I agree with you about the shaped inlay on the $500. Obv the effect is way more visible on the the $25/100. Also think the colors on the $500 are too close to the ones on the $25/100
Honestly, I adore shaped on white. Makes it feel expensive and over the top. Still works IMO.
Screenshot_2023-01-18-10-03-56-29_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

I actually thought the HS 1/2 looks awesome. Might ask @Josh Kifer how the stamp shows on the lighter surface, but I liked it. That (chocolate?) frac is all kinds of meh now.

I also like the previous 1 & 5 better, although these are also nice.

I actually thought the HS 1/2 looks awesome. Might ask @Josh Kifer how the stamp shows on the lighter surface, but I liked it. That (chocolate?) frac is all kinds of meh now.

I also like the previous 1 & 5 better, although these are also nice.
I like the 1/2 HS. I think it's a benefit that the dovetail is involved. If you are going retro, it's what retro would do. Might be a current design no-no, but in the retro world, it works.

I also liked the first hot stamp. Nice work, I think you're almost there and this will be an amazing set

I like the cents going through the 25, but it obscures too much of the numbers, imo. When I’ve seen this treatment before, I think the numbers are more condensed and tall so tte letters don’t cover so much.
I don’t think you should change the size of the numbers, maybe reduce the size of “cents”? Maybe small caps instead of lower case? Not sure.

@Josh Kifer
Do you think the HS would show up enough on that dove tail in the 1st ND chip at top? I had considered Maroon and Yellow or Maroon and Canary for that 1/2 pie with the HS as well. I would consider other colors as well as long as the dove tail isn't too distracting and the HS shows up enough

Back to the Dove Tail with slightly different colors. Chocolate & white for the dovetail, back to black spots on the 25¢ to avoid same color repeating right next to one another & maroon on the spots for the $5 with a yellow base. idk, could probably work? Thoughts?

@Josh Kifer
Do you think the HS would show up enough on that dove tail in the 1st ND chip at top? I had considered Maroon and Yellow or Maroon and Canary for that 1/2 pie with the HS as well. I would consider other colors as well as long as the dove tail isn't too distracting and the HS shows up enough
Depends on the foil color, but I think gold would hold up well. Silver night blend a bit too much on the light side.

Dark Bronze or Copper might help too. Having a hint more dark tint to it.

Shaped inlays for me. I think “25c” looks better than the alternative. I like the original $500 better probably because the colored spots are more similar to the inlay font. I personally like brighter colors in general so my thought is even if you’re not going to use the $500 why not make it bright and standout-ish like a PCA $500 or Nevada Club Crystal Bay $500.

.....I like the original $500 better probably because the colored spots are more similar to the inlay font. I personally like brighter colors in general.....
I have nothing against bright colors and crazy insert patterns, but something a but more simple/subtle probably fits the "Old school" look better.

I suppose I could incorporate blue, red & black like the colors in the inlay into the spot pattern. That might fit in? Hmmm

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom