Cleaning with sodium percarbonate (2 Viewers)

horseshoez

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
So I was finishing cleaning chips the other day with the ultrasonic, using TSP of course. Shortly after I was done, my friend came over who happens to be part owner of a chemical factory that produces chemicals. Pretty experienced in cleaning solutions and noticed I was using TSP. His first statement was, “let me see some of those chips, I bet you anything you kind of bleached them a little and they have a little fade to them after that ultrasonic bath.” That was obviously true before I ever reached to grab one and show them to him since I’d already cleaned thousands of chips.

He immediately goes on to recommend I use a chemical called sodium percarbonate, the main ingredient in OxyClean. Says it’s not harmful to the color of whatever it cleans, no bleaching effect and also intensifies the colors rather than dulls them. I’m going to be testing OxyClean in the ultrasonic and come back with results comparing them side by side in the best lighting possible. It’ll help me determine if what he said holds true when cleaning chips. If it does, I’ll be asking him to bring me a jug of it in its purest form rather than OxyClean.

Just figured I’d share that bit of into and that it’ll be fun to compare both results side by side. Not sure if anybody has tried it yet in the ultrasonic cleaner. If you have, post your feedback and results here. Thank you in advance.

I believe other members have found that Oxy in the US doesn’t work. The bubbles interfere with how the machine the functions.

That said, maybe just the chemical would work.

I’ll do it the other way around and try the pure version of the chemical itself to see how it goes. Should be interesting to compare.

I’ll be testing with various chips, all of which won’t make me have any regrets should they pass on to chip heaven. I’ll report back with results.

So I was finishing cleaning chips the other day with the ultrasonic, using TSP of course. Shortly after I was done, my friend came over who happens to be part owner of a chemical factory that produces chemicals. Pretty experienced in cleaning solutions and noticed I was using TSP. His first statement was, “let me see some of those chips, I bet you anything you kind of bleached them a little and they have a little fade to them after that ultrasonic bath.” That was obviously true before I ever reached to grab one and show them to him since I’d already cleaned thousands of chips.

He immediately goes on to recommend I use a chemical called sodium percarbonate, the main ingredient in OxyClean. Says it’s not harmful to the color of whatever it cleans, no bleaching effect and also intensifies the colors rather than dulls them. I’m going to be testing OxyClean in the ultrasonic and come back with results comparing them side by side in the best lighting possible. It’ll help me determine if what he said holds true when cleaning chips. If it does, I’ll be asking him to bring me a jug of it in its purest form rather than OxyClean.

Just figured I’d share that bit of into and that it’ll be fun to compare both results side by side. Not sure if anybody has tried it yet in the ultrasonic cleaner. If you have, post your feedback and results here. Thank you in advance.
Regardless of what your friend thinks, Oxiclean works great on Paulson chips, but it WILL fade colors with pronged exposure or temps that are too high. Whether or not it's due to sodium percarbonate content is debatable, but it certainly does NOT enhance or intensify colors on clay chips.

It is absolutely NOT safe for ASM/CPC chips (will dissolve the chip material), or for Paulson chips with hot-stamps (can discolor or dissolve the foil).

It is also not a good choice for an ultrasonic cleaner, since the suds produced essentially negate the ultrasonic's cavitation cleaning effects.... basically just turning the ultrasonic bath into a normal one (and wasting electricity).

I would also think that the bubbles would cause problems with the cavitation. Definitely try it and report back! But make sure you use some truly nasty chips... TSP'd chips may require oiling due to slight fading, but it cleans them amazingly well from a "hope-is-almost-lost-zomg-yuck" state.

Yeah I feel much safer with TSP substitute than I do with oxyclean, as far as fading colors go. I’ve never used actual TSP on chips, but I’ve never noticed any fading with TSP substitute.

Regardless of what your friend thinks, Oxiclean works great on Paulson chips, but it WILL fade colors with pronged exposure or temps that are too high. Whether or not it's due to sodium percarbonate content is debatable, but it certainly does NOT enhance or intensify colors on clay chips.

It is absolutely NOT safe for ASM/CPC chips (will dissolve the chip material), or for Paulson chips with hot-stamps (can discolor or dissolve the foil).

It is also not a good choice for an ultrasonic cleaner, since the suds produced essentially negate the ultrasonic's cavitation cleaning effects.... basically just turning the ultrasonic bath into a normal one (and wasting electricity).

I think the suds being created will probably be more of an issue using OxyClean rather than just the chemical itself. I could be wrong though.

Nevertheless, I’m going to ask him for the chemical by itself and try it on Paulsons, live Vegas chips that are incredibly dirty and see how it goes. Duly noted regarding not using it on ASM/CPC chips.

Washed and oiled around 15k chips so far! I love TSP but not for hot stamps. Still don't own a ultra sonic. I love hand cleaning. Most recent
20200816_153141.jpg

20200816_141919.jpg

No I don't wear gloves... already going to die from years of silica exposure!
20200816_141941.jpg

All finished up and ready for oiling!!
20200818_221853.jpg

I have done any hot stamps in the ultrasonic but I’ve avoided it on purpose so as not to ruin any. I’ll also keep that in mind, that TSP and hot stamps don’t mix well.

Oh those eBay 1s came out fantastic!
Actually traded for another rack on the forum so I have 200 of those beauties now... it's ok that they are well loved, so are my $5s!
20200322_191107.jpg

But no idea what I am going to do for $25s, probably these beasts for fracs.
20200806_204427.jpg

Who knows, wasn't planning to build a set anyways!! Donkey life!!
Who knows

Actually traded for another rack on the forum so I have 200 of those beauties now... it's ok that they are well loved, so are my $5s!
View attachment 516244
But no idea what I am going to do for $25s, probably these beasts for fracs.
View attachment 516251
Who knows, wasn't planning to build a set anyways!! Donkey life!!
Who knows

Is it too late for me to backtrack and say that those TRK 5's are pretty good looking?!

Metasilicates (non phosphate TSP) are safe with hot stamps.

I don't think straight sodium percarbonate should cause bubbling, unless for some reason it reduces surface tension.

What in the actual F?! You gotta click on the machine and watch the video. That’s next level chip cleaning.
Hahaha - that is fantastic! I wonder if one of these chip holders would work in an U/S. It would prevent the need for a salad spinner.

Hahaha - that is fantastic! I wonder if one of these chip holders would work in an U/S. It would prevent the need for a salad spinner.

I don’t see why not but you have to have a big daddy U/S machine to hold that thing.

This may be a question for @Gear, what is the best way to clean chips once gear labels are applied? Will dawn/ warm water bath and magic eraser hurt gear labels?

I really meant the cleaning supplies not the machine. You don't need the machine to wash the chips. The first product you spray on with a bottle. The the second cleaning solution is just run through a fancy dish washer. You can do the same thing with water in a tub. The third chemical is again sprayed on with a bottle. I don't see any reason you can't do any of this by hand.

I really meant the cleaning supplies not the machine. You don't need the machine to wash the chips. The first product you spray on with a bottle. The the second cleaning solution is just run through a fancy dish washer. You can do the same thing with water in a tub. The third chemical is again sprayed on with a bottle. I don't see any reason you can't do any of this by hand.

Oh I know but I ended up going on a tangent and noticed they had other goodies. Not bad. Willing to give it a try and see if the rack itself fits in the U/S then just flip it and use the other side.

Can anyone find the ingredients for the "Clean Play" system? My searches have failed.

If it's composed of a buffered TSP solution containing sodium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate, there may be a patent infringement issue with "Diamond Chip Cleaner" whose ingredients are available on their patent application.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom