Cleaning Paulsons is this Brush too hard bristled ??? (1 Viewer)

BigSlick4523

Full House
Reaction score
hey whats up I have been cleaning some of my Horseshoe Cleveland Paulsons by hand of course still haven't picked up a UltraSonic yes I am that stupid person that continue's to punish himself by hand cleaning anyways quick question

what do you guy use to clean you're chips by hand I have been using this tile and grout brush I am just wondering if the bristles are too hard and I am making the flea bites worst on the chips when I am scrubbing its hard to tell cause the cleveland $1s are pretty well used

I am using this brush with just warm water and dawn dishsoap

it's called = Full Circle Mirco Manager Detailed Brush

here is a pic of it cost me like $6 at Target

please let me know what you think thanks

Attachments

• GUEST_3c02f94b-8292-42ac-9a77-45ad45a962ea.jpg
    GUEST_3c02f94b-8292-42ac-9a77-45ad45a962ea.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 119
I don’t know if those bristles are too hard for the chips, but I know they’re harder than you need. I cleaned something like 1,000 Cleveland horshoes. Soak them for 10-15 minutes in a warm TSP Substitute bath and then the dirt and grime falls off with a few swipes from a plastic dishwashing brush.

Tile & Grout brush?
Very likely too hard for Paulson chips.

I have that brush. I would say it’s too stiff, certainly stiffer than necessary…

Definitely nothing with metal bristles. A regular or electric toothbrush would work.
It doesnt have metal bristles just tought stiff regular bristles I was thinking maybe. Tough toothbrush the one above medium whatever they call that lol

I don’t know if those bristles are too hard for the chips, but I know they’re harder than you need. I cleaned something like 1,000 Cleveland horshoes. Soak them for 10-15 minutes in a warm TSP Substitute bath and then the dirt and grime falls off with a few swipes from a plastic dishwashing brush.
I just use Dawn Dishsoap I never used any of that crazy cleaner that u have to wear a hazmat suit to use lol

I have that brush. I would say it’s too stiff, certainly stiffer than necessary…
U think this brush without too much pressure while scrubbing will do the trick just dont wanna make the chips worse then they are I might say F it and sell them all on eBay dirty lol Im not all macgyver with these chips like most people on here im retarded lol

U think scrubbing with that brush would make flea bites bigger ?
It’s all a matter of how much scrubbing is done, but this brush is the closest to a wire brush as I’ve found. I think you could definitely wear down a chip with it, eventually. There’s no reason to use something so aggressive.

edit: brushes are cheap, just get something like @Colquhoun recommended. (Doesn’t need to be natural bristles) The larger size will make life easier too

Edit2: you will see the color of the chips you’re cleaning on the brush and in the water if it’s actually removing material from the chips. If you’re careful you can probably get away with using this brush, there’s just no reason to take such a risk, imho.

Last edited:
It’s all a matter of how much scrubbing is done, but this brush is the closest to a wire brush as I’ve found. I think you could definitely wear down a chip with it, eventually. There’s no reason to use something so aggressive.

edit: brushes are cheap, just get something like @Colquhoun recommended. (Doesn’t need to be natural bristles) The larger size will make life easier too

Edit2: you will see the color of the chips you’re cleaning on the brush and in the water if it’s actually removing material from the chips. If you’re careful you can probably get away with using this brush, there’s just no reason to take such a risk, imho.
what kind of brush do you use or do u use a ultra sonic ?

Some of you are way more into cleaning your chips than I am. I just use warm water, dish soap and a toothbrush. Than again I am only cleaning them to put on my collection wall.

I just wanna get them clean without making the flea bites bigger then they already are

and ill prob never own a ultra sonic all that crazy tsp Id prob end up messin the chips up or somethin lol

I just might sell them all at this point too much hassle trying to figure out the best way to clean them

what kind of brush do you use or do u use a ultra sonic ?
I’ve mainly cleaned chips with a washcloth. I’ve used a toothbrush for stuck dirt in the recesses but it’s more work. I did this many years ago and it was really rough to clean 1000 chips. It left my hands cramped and I really don’t ever want to do it again. If I did, I think laying out a sheet of chips and using a flat large brush to clean all the faces at once would be the way to go.

Mostly I don’t clean my chips. One day I’ll try an ultrasonic, but (warning: controversial opinion) I’ve seen a lot of chips over cleaned/damaged so I’m a bit reluctant. Although I think it’s the heat/time in solution that does the damage, not the US per se.

are these bristles soft ? I feel the bristles need to be some what tough when I am only using warm water and dawn lol
The short side is stiff enough to clean well, but not so stiff that they do any damage. The great thing about natural bristles is that they’re thin enough to even get into the hat and canes.

Some of you are way more into cleaning your chips than I am. I just use warm water, dish soap and a toothbrush. Than again I am only cleaning them to put on my collection wall.
Yep, when you need to do hundreds of chips, the toothbrush just ain’t gonna cut it. Your hand will be cramping in no time.

If you are scrubbing so hard if whatever brush you are using is expanding the flea-bites, you are clearly scrubbing way too hard.

I've cleaned impenetrable gunk off of primary PCA $100s using nothing more than a bit of a soak in warm water (10-15 mins) with some Dawn (the grease killing powers are actually pretty good) and a dish brush. Toothpick or tooth brush for the worst of the recesses in the hats and canes.

Honestly, patience and a little time with not exactly exotic cleaning supplies work wonders.

(I'm also a strong proponent for Magic Eraser for difficult spots or even the green scrubby side of a Scotch-Brite pad for rack check marks or otherwise stubborn spots).

Out of curiosity, what are you trying to clean, or more specifically what are you trying to get off of the chips you re cleaning? I can't imagine chips so bad that they need this much concern or effort.

[EDIT] I just saw your previous post. Maybe a picture or two of what you are trying to clean off might help. It seems you have been fighting this for some time now. Maybe you are trying to get your chips to a state of "clean" that can't be achieved???

Yep, when you need to do hundreds of chips, the toothbrush just ain’t gonna cut it. Your hand will be cramping in no time.
This is wisdom. Toothbrush is good for hot stamps I guess, because you want to avoid scrubbing that stamp. But for inlaid chips, get a bigger brush. You wouldn’t mow your lawn with a weed wacker.

If you are scrubbing so hard if whatever brush you are using is expanding the flea-bites, you are clearly scrubbing way too hard.

I've cleaned impenetrable gunk off of primary PCA $100s using nothing more than a bit of a soak in warm water (10-15 mins) with some Dawn (the grease killing powers are actually pretty good) and a dish brush. Toothpick or tooth brush for the worst of the recesses in the hats and canes.

Honestly, patience and a little time with not exactly exotic cleaning supplies work wonders.

(I'm also a strong proponent for Magic Eraser for difficult spots or even the green scrubby side of a Scotch-Brite pad for rack check marks or otherwise stubborn spots).

Out of curiosity, what are you trying to clean, or more specifically what are you trying to get off of the chips you re cleaning? I can't imagine chips so bad that they need this much concern or effort.

[EDIT] I just saw your previous post. Maybe a picture or two of what you are trying to clean off might help. It seems you have been fighting this for some time now. Maybe you are trying to get your chips to a state of "clean" that can't be achieved???
Just the dirt n grime off of the clevelands I will try leaving them soak more n I dont scrub so hard that kts making them worse thats what im trying to avoid I clean some then I stop then I clean some n I stop just trying to figure out the best way to clean them without needing a hazmat suit to do so

I started using a denture brush pretty soft bristles I never made the flea bites bigger I was weird with too hard of a brush that it would make flea bites bigger ive just been soaking in warm water n dawn anybody else use something other than dawn that doesnt require a hazmat suit ?

Back when I manually cleaned chips (thank goodness those days are long gone), I was advised on CT to buy the stiffest bristle toothbrush I could find and cut it down to roughly 1/2-length bristles.

Worked well -- much better control with the shorter bristles, yet not too hard/abrasive for the chip, inlay, or hot-stamped surfaces (if it's safe for gums, it's safe for chips).

Back when I manually cleaned chips (thank goodness those days are long gone), I was advised on CT to buy the stiffest bristle toothbrush I could find and cut it down to roughly 1/2-length bristles.

Worked well -- much better control with the shorter bristles, yet not too hard/abrasive for the chip, inlay, or hot-stamped surfaces (if it's safe for gums, it's safe for chips).
Any brushes u have in mind ?

I bought mine at Walmart, in the toothpaste isle. But if doing it today, I'd go electric.

I bought mine at Walmart, in the toothpaste isle. But if doing it today, I'd go electric.
any suggestions on what to use other than something u need a hazmat suit to use I have been using Dawn Dishsoap

Dawn Ultra. But I had good results with a warm water and Oxiclean solution soak for 5-10 minutes maximum (Paulsons only, no hot-stamps). Usually didn't even need the toothbrush.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom