Cleaning Chip Edges - Strip of Dirt EW (1 Viewer)

Okku

Full House
Reaction score
I'm very familiar with cleaning chips (faces and edges) just haven't seen anything like this before, or at least this much. Just got these chips about a week ago and they have this strip of dirt going around the center of the edge. I did a few of them this morning using the "rougher" side of a sponge similar to a magic eraser, but I'm trying to find out if there is any quicker way of doing this. I'm sure there isn't though. I want these bad boys to SHINE & wanted to get some more input on this. Let me know!

IMG_3568.jpg

I usually just hold a stack of 10 or so at a time, and use a nail brush with Dawn soap. Scrubbing in different directions while rotating the stack gets it done.

I totally forgot and didn't even think of pinching them in a barrel and slowly turning them...... rookie mistake right there. I'll do that and have these done in no time then. Thanks!

Knock edge dirt off with slightly damp Magic Eraser, best way IMO.

Either 1 at a time, in small stacks, or a barrel at a time, whatever works best for you.

I'm very familiar with cleaning chips (faces and edges) just haven't seen anything like this before, or at least this much. Just got these chips about a week ago and they have this strip of dirt going around the center of the edge. I did a few of them this morning using the "rougher" side of a sponge similar to a magic eraser, but I'm trying to find out if there is any quicker way of doing this. I'm sure there isn't though. I want these bad boys to SHINE & wanted to get some more input on this. Let me know!

View attachment 780770
Careful with the rougher backside of the sponge.

IMO the cleaned barrel on the left in the picture has some ever so slight damage from scratching which is not necessary. Based on my own experience from trying this as well. Magic eraser is a gentler way (although abrasive, there won't be visible scratches)

Knock edge dirt off with slightly damp Magic Eraser, best way IMO.

Either 1 at a time, in small stacks, or a barrel at a time, whatever works best for you.
I prefer in barrels since you only catch the rolling edges and never on the corner/edge (10/12 if you are doing a lot of chips...less fatigue in the holding hand)

I can post for pr0n sakes later today if you'd like to see.....

Careful with the rougher backside of the sponge.

IMO the cleaned barrel on the left in the picture has some ever so slight damage from scratching which is not necessary. Based on my own experience from trying this as well. Magic eraser is a gentler way (although abrasive, there won't be visible scratches)
Alrighty, I can see that happening as well. I'll switch over to the magic eraser and use that for the rest of them. Thanks to everyone for the info!

Haven't touched these in a few months but because they'll be getting used again later this week I decided to finally clean the rest of the edges or at least what the magic eraser (quarter of what was left) could get done. These look soooo much better when they are clean and I need to do the last about 25ish of them. Very happy with this.

IMG_4302.jpg

Soooooooo uh these chips have a very different "strip" of disgustingness to them. :sick: I have no idea what it is nor do I want to know, but I can confirm these chips are older from the 70s. Took a magic eraser to the edges of these yellow ones and cleaned up pretty quickly. Faces need the same treatment which I wish I didn't have to clean chips from time to time, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do to make them shine and up to your own standards.

IMG_4329.jpg
IMG_4332.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom