Cleaning and flattening chips with Gear Labels (1 Viewer)

Goldfish

4 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
So, unfortunately for me, I learned about flattening chips after I completed my first relabel project - Animal House 1.0. The 25s I used were warped, some significantly. Fast forward to today, I now know how to flatten chips - but the question was would @Gear labels hold up during the flattening process. I have not seen a thread on this issue so I thought I would share my experience so far.......

First, I had to clean the chips. Doing 10 at a time, I let them soak for about 3-5 mins in dawn and warm water. I then did a light scrub with magic eraser. Chips are clean and the Labels seemed to hold up just fine during the cleaning process. No visible damage.
B724FBB3-BF0C-480B-86DE-BFE497B22948.jpeg

900E2420-69DB-4E66-AAB6-90A6DD56CF5B.jpeg

Next, was the flattening process. I use the heating pad method on the 160 degree setting. The chips typically get to about 125-135 degrees. I bake the chips for 1 hour and then let cool for at least 2 hours. I completed 2 barrels and let cool overnight. The result - labels appear to be fine. No visible damage. The chips are much flatter, but I don’t see any damage to the labels.
8E634413-6467-4ECF-8153-466E17ABFB8C.jpeg

C323D385-5DE7-4000-A95A-12D5444AD00B.jpeg

So, based on my experience so far, it seems that the @Gear labels hold up fine during the cleaning/flattening process. I am now in the process of doing the remaining 2 racks. If anyone has had a different experience, let me know.

Of course, results may vary, depending on chip type, soaking time, temp of chips during the flattening process, or if alternative cleaning or flattening methods are used. I am by no means an expert on cleaning/flattening chips so I am not responsible for any damage to your gear labels if you have a different experience. It’s always a good idea to test a few chips before doing all of them.

Hope this helps!

Whoa, you’re soaking the chips with gear labels? Great to know they hold up!

Question...why are you heating them for 1 hour?
I lay 10 chips out in a single layer and fold over the top half of the heating pad. It heats the chips completely in 10 minutes. Drop them in a rack to align, then clamp...1 hour to cool and done.

Glad to hear the gear labels are holding up!
However, imo...it seems there’s easier and faster ways to get the job done.

I soak them for about 3-5 mins. Didn’t have any issues.
i will try your way next time. Seems much faster.

I've chatted with Gear before and he stated general cleaning, they should hold up just fine.

So, unfortunately for me, I learned about flattening chips after I completed my first relabel project - Animal House 1.0. The 25s I used were warped, some significantly. Fast forward to today, I now know how to flatten chips - but the question was would @Gear labels hold up during the flattening process. I have not seen a thread on this issue so I thought I would share my experience so far.......

First, I had to clean the chips. Doing 10 at a time, I let them soak for about 3-5 mins in dawn and warm water. I then did a light scrub with magic eraser. Chips are clean and the Labels seemed to hold up just fine during the cleaning process. No visible damage.
View attachment 696040
View attachment 696041

Next, was the flattening process. I use the heating pad method on the 160 degree setting. The chips typically get to about 125-135 degrees. I bake the chips for 1 hour and then let cool for at least 2 hours. I completed 2 barrels and let cool overnight. The result - labels appear to be fine. No visible damage. The chips are much flatter, but I don’t see any damage to the labels.
View attachment 696044
View attachment 696045
So, based on my experience so far, it seems that the @Gear labels hold up fine during the cleaning/flattening process. I am now in the process of doing the remaining 2 racks. If anyone has had a different experience, let me know.

Of course, results may vary, depending on chip type, soaking time, temp of chips during the flattening process, or if alternative cleaning or flattening methods are used. I am by no means an expert on cleaning/flattening chips so I am not responsible for any damage to your gear labels if you have a different experience. It’s always a good idea to test a few chips before doing all of them.

Hope this helps!
That could be another project...like the concept.

Whoa, you’re soaking the chips with gear labels? Great to know they hold up!

Question...why are you heating them for 1 hour?
I lay 10 chips out in a single layer and fold over the top half of the heating pad. It heats the chips completely in 10 minutes. Drop them in a rack to align, then clamp...1 hour to cool and done.

Glad to hear the gear labels are holding up!
However, imo...it seems there’s easier and faster ways to get the job done.
I had previously been heating my chips with the clamp in a heating pad for an hour. I just tried heating 10 chips unclamped for 10 mins, then clamping them. This way works really well and saves me a lot of time. The chips get to peak temp much faster! Based on this, I am changing my ways! Thanks much @Colquhoun!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom