Circus Circus games? Whaaaaaaat? (1 Viewer)

Puggy

Flush
Reaction score
I think I have years ago gotten some information about these, but what the heck are Circus Circus games?
Now that we are playing mainly cash games in the future, at least I hope so, might be good to know more about these.

kid-throwing-money-out-window-13439604781.gif

Puggersly, you have entered into the land of enchantment. Circus games are what poker was meant to be. You will curse all games that deal you any fewer than 3 cards. In time, even the 3-card games will leave you unsatisfied.

The below is in the format of (number of cards in game) / (name of game). This is because when people sit down for circus games, the games in the rotation are described by the number of cards received.

"Okay, so what are we playing tonight?"
"3, 4, 5, 6"
"Lazy or crazy? Are 4 and 5 hi/lo or high only?"
"Lazy, hi, and hi/lo"
"Cool, here is all the money I have to my name"
"Thank you"

Without further ado:

2 / NLHE
3 / Pineapple
4 / PLO or PLO8
5 / Tahoe or Big O
6 / SOHE or Kill Yourself
10 / Retarded Cucumber*

NLHE - You know this shit.
Pineapple - You know this shit, too.
PLO/PLO8 - You know all this shit.
Tahoe - 5 hole cards; play all 5 or exactly 2; can play high or hi/lo.
Big O - 5 hole cards; play exactly 2; most often played hi/lo, but can be played high only.
SOHE - 6 hole cards; separate into 1 NLHE hand and 1 PLO hand before pre-flop betting; plays pot limit; split pot between best NLHE and best PLO hand
Retarded Cucumber - 4 players max; play with two decks shuffled together; 10 hole cards; 3 draws; shuffle discards if necessary.*

*Should only be played if you are actually retarded or a cucumber.

Need the name for 5 Card PLO, but discard 1 card on the River before final betting round.

Puggersly, you have entered into the land of enchantment. Circus games are what poker was meant to be. You will curse all games that deal you any fewer than 3 cards. In time, even the 3-card games will leave you unsatisfied.

The below is in the format of (number of cards in game) / (name of game). This is because when people sit down for circus games, the games in the rotation are described by the number of cards received.

"Okay, so what are we playing tonight?"
"3, 4, 5, 6"
"Lazy or crazy? Are 4 and 5 hi/lo or high only?"
"Lazy, hi, and hi/lo"
"Cool, here is all the money I have to my name"
"Thank you"

Without further ado:

2 / NLHE
3 / Pineapple
4 / PLO or PLO8
5 / Tahoe or Big O
10 / Retarded Cucumber*

NLHE - You know this shit.
Pineapple - You know this shit, too.
PLO/PLO8 - You know all this shit.
Tahoe - 5 hole cards; play all 5 or exactly 2; can play high or hi/lo.
Big O - 5 hole cards; play exactly 2; most often played hi/lo, but can be played high only.
SOHE - 6 hole cards; separate into 1 NLHE hand and 1 PLO hand before pre-flop betting; plays pot limit; split pot between best NLHE and best PLO hand
Retarded Cucumber - 4 players max; play with two decks shuffled together; 10 hole cards; 3 draws; shuffle discards if necessary.*

Jack, I know you are all about the memes lately. I remember one you had for Circus Games on CT that involved a clown smashing a guys head with a hammer. Do you still have that one?

Puggy, you are doomed.

I played in a friend's mixed game last nite, dealer's choice with my regs, we play an orbit then next player chooses. So I called 4 Card Ocean Crazy Pineapple. We play it pot limit. 4 cards, discard 1 on flop and turn, but you get an extra river (the ocean). Played like holdem at river.

I got big winner in game so on my last orbit I picked nlhe to tilt them. Everyone whined. I had my fun, then changed it to omaha.

Courchevel, Badugi, Badacey, Badeucy, Chicago, Kansas City lowball, 7 card stud Mariah, ...

Without further ado:

2 / NLHE
3 / Pineapple
4 / PLO or PLO8
5 / Tahoe or Big O
10 / Retarded Cucumber*

...and now we might have the RitR schedule set for a Circus Maximus at the Denver Meat Up. One table of circus, players bring 2 racks of the most beloved denom of their custom chips. Mixed Fantasy Customs Circus Maximus using Jack's formula ...where is the strike thru command for cucumber.

Huge thanks Jack. I WILL try these out

Puggy, you are doomed.
I played in a friend's mixed game last nite, dealer's choice with my regs, we play an orbit then next player chooses. So I called 4 Card Ocean Crazy Pineapple. We play it pot limit. 4 cards, discard 1 on flop and turn, but you get an extra river (the ocean). Played like holdem at river.
I got big winner in game so on my last orbit I picked nlhe to tilt them. Everyone whined. I had my fun, then changed it to omaha.

I know I am :D. So there will be 6 cards on the table, when all is said, bet, and done yes?

I think I have managed to get our group of players back together. Years and years everyone just wanted to play NLHE STT.
I tried many times to get them into cash games and to try other games. Occasionally I got PLO tourney going.

But two weeks ago I got them all into a cash game, Dealer's Choice. We played NLHE, PLO, PLO/8, 5 stud, 7 stud, Razz, Crazy Pineapple,
AND EVERYONE LOVED IT :D :D :D

I said "I told you so for so many years"

No more loser's lounge. No more boring headsup in the middle of the night, when no one was interested in the game anymore. Everyone played for 11 hours.

Soon....CIRCUS GAMES :D

Huge thanks Jack. I WILL try these out

I know I am :D. So there will be 6 cards on the table, when all is said, bet, and done yes?

Yes, 6 card board of community cards. Plan on making big hands to win.

Yes, 6 card board of community cards. Plan on making big hands to win.

This can be only played shorthanded right? Not enough cards. We might have 8-9 players in December, so we can't play this in that eve.
Or can two decks be used? That might cause mass confusion....

SORRY! Got already confuzed. Mixed up with SOHE. SOHE can only be played shorthanded?

5 card draw NL or PL
2-7 NL

Tahoe Pitch n'Roll - this game is sick; we had a DC table going at WCB with a lot of limit and $60-$80 pots, tops. Some joker calls this game and wins $800 pot on the first hand by rivering quads. :eek: Each player gets 4 cards, discards one and rolls an upcard of their choice, leaving two downcards. Betting round, then each player gets TWO upcards, betting round, 6th street, betting round, 7th street, betting round as per standard stud. Game is hi/lo, POT LIMIT on all streets. :sick:

Tahoe Pitch n'Roll - this game is sick; we had a DC table going at WCB with a lot of limit and $60-$80 pots, tops. Some joker calls this game and wins $800 pot on the first hand by rivering quads. :eek: Each player gets 4 cards, discards one and rolls an upcard of their choice, leaving two downcards. Betting round, then each player gets TWO upcards, betting round, 6th street, betting round, 7th street, betting round as per standard stud. Game is hi/lo, POT LIMIT on all streets. :sick:

This is one of my favorite games and is the way that stud is supposed to be played.
The name Circus Games probably came from somebody who doesn't play anything but NLHE. ;)
Damn stoners.

We play a lot of triple flop Omaha with scorch cards. Scorch cards are the burn cards turned over killing all cards of matching rank on the boards and in hands. Variations include scorching only the middle burn card or shot gun style where all the burn cards are turned over after the river is dealt. We play all these as .50-$4.00 spread limit with down betting allowed.

The name Circus Games probably came from somebody who doesn't play anything but NLHE. ;)

I think it came from Jose actually...he was derisively describing the game to someone else at one of the meetups. And then of course he sat in the circus game and cleaned up.

I have introduced SOHE to my group and they love it.
What other circus games not listed above do people have interest in at their games?

Check the resoure link for the mixed games, excellent listing of carney games

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom